Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Following the data path to erroneous NFZ's....

Reaction score
Hey doods!

So I got bit by the "Restricted Military Zone" error message on a jobsite I have shot 9 times before (today being the 10th). So I tried some things.

This post is a simplified version of what I tried. It would have to write a novel to give complete details.

1654401419697.png

I also get a right LED on the Inspire 1:

1654404671876.png

So why would I NOW get this error message after flying this site 9 times before unimpeded?? I checked the NOTAMs, but there's nothing until June7th. Today is June 4th. But even if the NFZ / TFR were valid, how does this information get to my Inspire 1? I'm running legacy firmware and a legacy version of the Go App. So I decided to do some digging today.

Here's what I know. The only way the Go App can update flight restrictions (know which areas are restricted) is obviously via the Internet. Since this information is dynamic, it explains why we could fly yesterday but not today. I don't think anybody will argue this logic.

I have several iPads, so today I allowed one iPad to connect to the Internet withOUT opening the Go App. The other I connected to the Internet and opened the Go App. Neither iPad has cell or GPS capabilities, so once out of WiFi range there is little danger of connecting to the Internet, and zero danger of the iPad knowing where it is in space. I have removed Free Xfinity WiFi from all WiFi lists.

So the questions I wanted answered were these; Is Geofencing information stored in the iPad? Or is it specifically stored in the Go App? How is the data being handed off from iPad to the drone? Are limits stored in the AC or the RC?

To help answer these questions I brought two iPads and two complete Inspire 1's to my shoot (including their respective RC's). Today I was (Mod Removed Language) bent on figuring this thing out.

My line of thinking...

1) The iPad can only get GPS data (know its location in space) from the Inspire 1. Otherwise the iPad has no idea where it is. Neither iPad has a GPS chip or cell service. The only GPS data they receive is from my drone.

2) The Inspire 1 can only be told "not to fly" by something that has geofencing data stored in it, which it could only get via the Internet, which it then hands off that information to the Inspire 1. Is this data stored in the drone or the RC?

3) I also wanted to know if the camera possibly had something to do with either storing or enforcing or handing off geofence data. Spoiler alert; It doesn't.

As soon as I got to the jobsite, I fired up my Inspire 1 (without the camera mounted) and my RC. I did NOT connect the RC to my iPad. My Inspire one fired up and flew as normal. I then connected the X3 camera and, once again, flew as normal. Then I connected my iPad. Again, the Inspire flew as normal. Then I opened the Go App. The Inspire 1 was immediately grounded. Interesting.

I put away my Primary Inspire 1 and started over with my Spare. Again, I did everything in the same order. Only this time - knowing that the Go App is apparently the culprit - I opened a third party app on the iPad (the app I use for this particular jobsite). With this third-party app I was able to fly my missions unimpeded. Interesting.

Once done, I closed the third-party app and opened the Go App. My Inspire 1 was immediately grounded. I couldn't even start the motors (see screenshot above). So here's what I think is happening:

1) Every time I open the Go App and connect to the Internet to collect mapping data (Google Earth I suppose), the Go App ALSO collects GeoFence data.

2) Not until the Inspire 1 is connected to the iPad (feeding the iPad GPS location data), does the iPad know that it is in restricted space. Once the iPad knows its in restricted space, it sends a logic bit down to the Inspire 1 "Don't fly here." Essentially, disabling the Inspire 1.

But I wanted to know more...

Next, I left the jobsite and went home. I fired up my previously-grounded Primary Inspire 1 and did a short flight around my neighborhood with no problem. Essentially flipping the "you can fly now" logic bit from 0 to 1. From "off" to "on." From "don't fly" to "go ahead and fly."

I went back to the jobsite and repeated everything, but in a different order. This time I allowed the Go App to connect to the Remote Control, but never powered up the Inspire. I then CLOSED the Go App and fired up the Inspire 1. She seemed to fly okay.

Clearly, DJI grounding of the Inspire 1 requires a direct connection between the Inspire 1 and the Go App in real time. The iPad must know its location in space, and the Inspire 1 has to be TOLD "do not fly" by the Go App.

The cure...

It seems pretty simple that from now on I simply don't allow the Inspire 1 to connect directly to the Go App. This is a problem because I need the Go App to clear the MicroSD card. Obviously, the solution is to clear the card before leaving the house OR use an iPad that does NOT connect to the Internet. I actually have an old Air 1 I may use for just this purpose.

But I also need the Go App to sniff out the WiFi situation. The good news is that the Inspire 1 doesn't have to be connected to do this. Also, I believe channel selection is MAINTAINED in the RC. So I BELIEVE that I should be able to sniff out the WiFi situation, close the Go App, open my third-party app, fire up my Inspire and I should be good to go.

I'm going to test this over the next couple weeks, but it would be nice if other guys tried this, too.

And for the record, this kind of erroneous geofencing applies to all DJI drones. I have a P4P, Mavic Pro and Inspire 1. I've experienced erroneous geofencing from all three drones in the last month alone.

I THINK I have this thing figured out. Hopefully, some of you guys out there can confirm this.

D

Last edited:
there are ways to get around these shut downs you have figured the inspire out sounds like to me the mavic pro is a bit more difficult but can be achieved thur NLD

there are ways to get around these shut downs you have figured the inspire out sounds like to me the mavic pro is a bit more difficult but can be achieved thur NLD
I have hacked both my Mavic Pro and P4P to fly unimpeded, but I never had to hack my Inspire 1 before. I may look into NLD, but honestly, I think 'best practices' might be the answer and the cure for me at this time. Time will tell.

D

I have hacked both my Mavic Pro and P4P to fly unimpeded, but I never had to hack my Inspire 1 before. I may look into NLD, but honestly, I think 'best practices' might be the answer and the cure for me at this time. Time will tell.

D
The inspire is really easy to hack the ones you have done were tough for me If you need a link I,ll look it up

The inspire is really easy to hack the ones you have done were tough for me If you need a link I,ll look it up
Sure. I haven't even connected to the Inspire's USB port. Can it be hacked via the Assistant 2 software? If so, I'll give it a shot sans instruction.

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions