Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Australia G'Day from Australia

Hi Southerndoug,
Who did you have for your assessment? Did you have to do any extra stuff other than the exercises? Mostly in Atti or mix of GPS and Atti?
I have my assessment coming up soon..

Hi Southerndoug,
Who did you have for your assessment? Did you have to do any extra stuff other than the exercises? Mostly in Atti or mix of GPS and Atti?
I have my assessment coming up soon..
Hey Skidbita... The flight test pretty much followed the exercises that have probably been sent to you, in a mix of P-GPS and ATTI modes. He also got me to fly about 200 m away at 80 m height, spin around a few times, and return to home and land, all in ATTI mode. I also had to demonstrate a survey flight, with cancellation of the autonomous mode and RTH in ATTI mode. Then there was a fairly lengthy interview in relation to my Manuals, and the regs, as well as a hypothetical job, and how I would go about assessing the risk, and whether I would go ahead with it or not.
I was pretty wound up about the whole thing, but it ended up being pretty good, and I learnt stuff. He had some amazing horror stories of people who had no idea, and very poorly presented aircraft, so make sure your gear is in good nick. Practice your briefing too, and make sure you cover all the points on their preflight brief form. If you have checklists, make sure you adhere to them. Hope that helps...

Congrats mate, well done! Interesting about the new 30m rule, didn't know that was coming.
Thanks Lofty, it was a relief! Yeah a few interesting times coming our way in Oz, what with the sub 2kg announcement (or at least confirmed rumour). And the new manual template was a bit of a bombshell too... I can imagine there will be quite a few very pissed off people who have paid between one and two grand to have their manuals done, only to be told it was a waste of money. My CASA man said there are a lot of "training" organisations out there gouging the market for all its worth, with plenty of unsuspecting people with no aviation background desperate to get on the UAV bandwagon.

Yes the new manuals would have benefited me too if they had come out a couple of months earlier. Not too much hassle to drag and drop my stuff into the new one but I guess it's good to have manuals standardised for everyone. Glad you got a refund too!

Not sure who you had or if you got on well with him but I still keep in touch with my CASA assessor. He's been a great help if I have questions about the best way to go about a particular job. I try not to bother him too much but our first job was in the Perth CTR and he really helped us out staying on the right side of the rules.

Yes the new manuals would have benefited me too if they had come out a couple of months earlier. Not too much hassle to drag and drop my stuff into the new one but I guess it's good to have manuals standardised for everyone. Glad you got a refund too!

Not sure who you had or if you got on well with him but I still keep in touch with my CASA assessor. He's been a great help if I have questions about the best way to go about a particular job. I try not to bother him too much but our first job was in the Perth CTR and he really helped us out staying on the right side of the rules.
Yep got on with him well. I won't put his name on a public forum. He certainly offered for me to call any time for advice, but he's pretty over his job and the workload, so not sure how much longer he'll be in the game...

Congrats on your success, I have been procrastinating writing up my manual suite for a couple of weeks, just wondering what date the new template you have was released the revision I have is dated 19 January should i go with that one?

Congrats on your success, I have been procrastinating writing up my manual suite for a couple of weeks, just wondering what date the new template you have was released the revision I have is dated 19 January should i go with that one?
Yep, 19 January, Ops Manual and Operational Library. The Ops Manual is what they want to see, and want submitted. The Library is up to you to maintain, and may only be reviewed by CASA if they audit you or the law becomes involved....

Reactions: Peet05
Thanks Lofty and southerndoug, is it as hard/tedious/mindnumbing as I think it is going to be to compile all this stuff or does it just take some time?

Thanks Lofty and southerndoug, is it as hard/tedious/mindnumbing as I think it is going to be to compile all this stuff or does it just take some time?
The new template is pretty easy to populate with your name, company name etc. the really annoying bit as far as I was concerned was the lame MS Word document and its crappy formatting. So that will take time to sort out if you can be bothered. I bothered. The operational library is probably the hardest bit to get right.

Interesting! Did he say what problems they were having?
Mainly structural failure of CF arms at T join, and also where the landing gear mount joins at the body. The implication was poor flying skills and heavy landings. He showed me a photo of one guys Inspire that was held together with Gaffer tape.... and that was how he presented at his CASA assessment!

Hey guys, I've completed my CC and looking to take the next step with the UOC, I downloaded the templates quite some time ago and have spent quite some time getting them together.......

Only to read they've been updated!! Any chance one of you kind gents would be able to send me a copy? Please? Can't seem to find them on the CASA site :-/

Hey guys, I've completed my CC and looking to take the next step with the UOC, I downloaded the templates quite some time ago and have spent quite some time getting them together.......

Only to read they've been updated!! Any chance one of you kind gents would be able to send me a copy? Please? Can't seem to find them on the CASA site :-/
Can do, PM me contact details

Reactions: paulaus
Just lodged my application. $4900. 5 month wait. Is there any other service where you pay this amount of money and wait so long.

Hey mate , so I'm at that point now where I will be developing my UOC. If I'm a one man band does that mean I can appoint myself to maintenance controller , chief controller ,

What were your actions ? It's a very detailed manual haha

Thanks

Hey mate , so I'm at that point now where I will be developing my UOC. If I'm a one man band does that mean I can appoint myself to maintenance controller , chief controller ,

What were your actions ? It's a very detailed manual haha

Thanks
Hey Tyrone, if you update your manuals to the new template (if you haven't already) you may save yourself 10 hours assessment fee... $1500 at least. And yes, as a one man band you can be the fat controller AND the maintenance controller.

Thanks for your help Southerndoug, Had the assessment last week on the S900 and received the UOC today!!
All I have to do now is find some work to pay for all the outlay!!

Reactions: southerndoug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez