Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Germany and drones.....

Reaction score
I'm from the US and I'm going to Germany for a vacation. Am I going to have problems if I bring my drone with me?

Germany is very restrictive regarding drones. I am there now and elected not to bring my M2P. Very hard and sad decision. Germans are all about rules. But if I had it to do over again, I would bring it. You can always bring it, and decide whether or not to use it while you are here.
Zum Miltenberg Deutschland.

Reactions: ROne21
Thank you for your reply, this is what I wanted to know. After doing a little research and reading about how restrictive Germany is about drones, I was discouraged and decided to just leave my M2P home. I read about requiring insurance coverage, possibly needing a pilot license....just discouraging stuff. But now, I'm considering of bringing it again.

I'm not planning to fly it all over and whenever but just to have it when it is needed. My real worry is getting it confiscated at the airport.

Any other advice or advices you can tell me? Is there a force there specifically assigned to police drones? That may sound comedic but I'm not really sure how a responsible individual with a common sense can get in trouble for flying.

Germany is very restrictive regarding drones. I am there now and elected not to bring my M2P. Very hard and sad decision. Germans are all about rules. But if I had it to do over again, I would bring it. You can always bring it, and decide whether or not to use it while you are here.
Zum Miltenberg Deutschland.

I think it is a little like the FAA in the US. That is, they can’t be everywhere, and if you don’t harm or get in anyone's face, there are not a lot of problems. Since I didn’t bring my drone in, I can’t say if there are issues at the airport. However, put it in your carry on, I think you will be fine.

Reactions: Surge
Here's a good source of info on the rules, in English:
Drone Laws in Germany | UAV Coach (2019)

As a commercial operator I fly domestically and internationally with my I2 kit. But when traveling for pleasure I usually just bring a Mavic. In 2017 I brought one with me on a vacation to Austria and Germany. We flew in and out of Vienna and I had no problem clearing security with the Mavic. Remember to keep your batteries in your carry on....they can't go in checked baggage. We drove into Germany from Austria, and visited Bavaria and Munich in southern Germany, and Leipzig and Berlin in the north. I followed the rules at the link above and no one gave me any problem. However I bent over backwards to avoid controversy and to follow the rules.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters