Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Government Tracking

Reaction score
Can the FAA, or Transport Canada, or any other country's governing body see our flight data? It would be difficult to prove that a particular drone flew too high/fast/close to an object and violated the rules without access to that drone's flight data.
Does DJI share this data with anyone (besides the Chinese government, most likely ;).

I think the latest set of rules but the FAA and Transport Canada are going too far. I agree that all pilots should pass an exam and be licensed, but after that, they should be given more leeway to fly over people, and closer to buildings.
This is akin to when the car was introduced. Imagine today if the rules were that you couldn’t drive your car close to pedestrians! It’s ridiculous.

Anyway, my main question here is how can the authorities prove where we were flying?

Reactions: Jmann
Can the FAA, or Transport Canada, or any other country's governing body see our flight data? It would be difficult to prove that a particular drone flew too high/fast/close to an object and violated the rules without access to that drone's flight data.
Does DJI share this data with anyone (besides the Chinese government, most likely ;).

I think the latest set of rules but the FAA and Transport Canada are going too far. I agree that all pilots should pass an exam and be licensed, but after that, they should be given more leeway to fly over people, and closer to buildings.
This is akin to when the car was introduced. Imagine today if the rules were that you couldn’t drive your car close to pedestrians! It’s ridiculous.

Anyway, my main question here is how can the authorities prove where we were flying?
No it isn’t.

Although you may have passed a written exam and a flight assessment which will make you a better a more aware pilot, it does not make your airframe more reliable or less likely to failure.

Flying over people is already allowed in some countries for professional operators with extended permissions and an arresting device to limit kinetic energy in the event of a motor failure.

Ok thanks for your POV. But to answer the question about tracking...?

Nothing, just curious. I would think any pilot would want to know if their flight data is confidential or not.

I'm sure the authorities could get a warrant to get DJI to provide data.. Much like cell phone data can be acquired by the "authorities" if needed.

Trust me.... if you cause an accident due to negligence, the data WILL go to trial. If you have insurance and flew outside of the parameters of the law, they may refuse to pay leaving the pilot on the hook.

IANAL

Reactions: licensed pilot
If you do something that endangers a person or property, your flight data can be subpoenaed for investigations. Ask the guy that flew his Phantom into a Arm

If you do something that endangers a person or property, your flight data can be subpoenaed for investigations. Ask the guy that flew his Phantom into a Army Blackhawk in NY in 2017

Reactions: licensed pilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide