Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

groundstation

Guys, can we keep it on topic please and less of the head bashing.

I should point out that using a modified 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz fixed antenna transmitting device that alters the the EIRP of that device is illegal in most countries around the world. There is a reason that this equipemnt is limited to 100mW EIRP/20db.
Additionally BLOS FPV flight is also deemed a breach of Air Navigation orders in several countries airspace.

I will keep an eye on this thread and if it gets all bar brawl will lock it.

Thank You.

Appreciated Editor. As the topic was modifying stock equipment to fly beyond the visual line of sight I felt it was relevant. I will reign it in and end with this. Simply looking out for both sides in the beyond LOS discussion.

Since the FAA does not believe that flying unmanned aircraft solely by means of video are capable of "seeing and avoiding" other aircraft as defined by 14 CFR 91. 113. you can be prosecuted. I will also point to a very informative article published on sUAS.

http://www.suasnews.com/2015/02/34249/uas-safety-information-proposal/

"Your aircraft is capable of flying at altitudes where manned aircraft may be operating. If a manned aircraft were to collide with even a small UAS, the result could be catastrophic and people could die. It is your responsibility to keep your aircraft away from other aircraft at all times. The current flight advisory from the FAA suggests a maximum altitude of 400’ above the ground for hobby UAS. Although an advisory, should your aircraft place another person or property in jeopardy that advisory would be used by the NTSB or other civil court as a foundation for your prosecution, and later fine or jail time. Flight advisories are frequently used to demonstrate the willingness of a pilot or flight operator to fly in a careless or reckless manner. You ARE subject to the same laws and regulations as a full-scale pilot. If you cannot see your aircraft it can be considered out of control."

My whole point to my friends flying drones beyond LOS right from the beginning was be careful! If the unthinkable should happen and some pilot who happens to be flying along is distracted for a split second by the other myriad of duties going on in the cockpit runs into your UAS, you are to blame. Period. The world will hold YOU at fault without question. The Government will throw the book at you. Least of all, you will regulate hobby drone flying right out of existence.

As I will complete my discussion on the subject and give my last response to this thread.

CaptainBadge: I see you failed to answer my last question...So once again you call people that fly out of LOS, fpv and autonomous your friends? hmm. Well I don't think your friends want you to tell them what rules they can follow when it comes to fpv, out of LOS and autonomous flight if they are responsible pilots. If you want to limit there hobby and choke the responsible drone pilots out just say it! Perhaps you would feel better if friends are tethered to there drones by a rope....You are no different then the FAA sir. Have a great day!

Enough! You have both had your 'final say' could we now get back on topic please?

The OP was asking about equipment/modifications to the stock Inspire set up to provide greater range.........

Captain Badge has a simple valid question that only has one answer...you can't possibly have the same situational awareness. Drone Mastery has attempted a constructive and alternative response but has not, and cannot give the correct answer.
End of story, now put the handbag down and enjoy safe flying ;)

A wise drone pilot suggested the following for situational awareness. I think it goes for LOS and beyond LOS.
1. Have a hi-res video feed and the BIGGEST screen affordable... and keep it shaded from the sun. This allows for small birds and tall obstacles to be readily spotted.
2. Do a 180 degree left/right sweep at hover covering the direction of intended travel. Look closely for airborne items (birds, kids balloons, etc..)
3. Conduct forward travel at a speed slow enough to: a) avoid latency issues with your video feed, b) perform 45 degree left then right turns periodically to check the airspace (similar to an airplane pilot looking left and right for potential collision course aircraft), c) conduct avoidance maneuvers as necessary.
4. Only travel forward the distance you were able to check for hazards.
He warned me that flying at speeds beyond visual awareness substantially increases risks of "structural or aerial pairing". Which apparently was his technical phrase for crashing.

A wise drone pilot suggested the following for situational awareness. I think it goes for LOS and beyond LOS.
1. Have a hi-res video feed and the BIGGEST screen affordable... and keep it shaded from the sun. This allows for small birds and tall obstacles to be readily spotted.
2. Do a 180 degree left/right sweep at hover covering the direction of intended travel. Look closely for airborne items (birds, kids balloons, etc..)
3. Conduct forward travel at a speed slow enough to: a) avoid latency issues with your video feed, b) perform 45 degree left then right turns periodically to check the airspace (similar to an airplane pilot looking left and right for potential collision course aircraft), c) conduct avoidance maneuvers as necessary.
4. Only travel forward the distance you were able to check for hazards.
He warned me that flying at speeds beyond visual awareness substantially increases risks of "structural or aerial pairing". Which apparently was his technical phrase for crashing.
Yes, all very well but, your aural SA at extented range is zero.
In almost all cases you will hear an approaching aircraft before you have eyes on it.
This sense is taken away from you flying BVLOS.

Reactions: CaptainBadge
If the airplane pilot isnt paying attention and cannot see the drone then he shouldnt be flying a plane below his faa mandated minimum flight altitude in the first place. you can see birds cant you? the inspire is quite large. I have flown mine a mile away and can still see it if i keep my eyes on it, hard to find if i look away, however if you dont see it directly in front of you while flying a plane then you wont have to worry cause its not in your way and wont be able to get in your way before you are gone. Even if you did hit it the only thing that will happen is youve made a drone pilot very sad that his 3K machine is toasted, lol!

Anyway back on topic and since this is an old thread maybe youve figured it out by now, but if youre flying within a half mile to a mile you should have good signal unless trees block your LOS to the drone, the most common issue of the lagging video feed is crappy app code and overworking the tablets processor, they get hot and derate the cpu to cool down. If its hot outside and you stand in the sun it is more likely to happen. There is/was an issue with android apps lagging/crashing a lot cause they updated google play services app to a new version that doesnt work well with the dji app. Its needed for the google maps features in the app, however if you downgrade google play services app to stock version then the dji app works fine. It will cause issues with other google apps not working correctly however, hopefully dji fixes this problem soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg