Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

GS Pro2 - optional module purchases

Reaction score
Looked through the various GSPro, most were 2017 prior to ver 2. Didn't locate any on the purchase options, if I missed them and subject covered... add the URL or close this one.

I've been looking at the GSPro2, watched a few videos. Comparing a bit with AutoPilot, Map Easy, UgCS & Litchi.

Several videos touch on the optional paid module options: KML & PhotoMap, but haven't answered the question as to the small number below the option. The KML is $50 and the PhotoMap is $300. Underneath the KML icon is a 5 and under the PhotoMap icon is a 4. What are these numbers, are they a counter allowing to use the option only a set number of times? My main focus in on the PhotoMap & 4, does that mean 4 times used it's expired and you pay another $300? With the prices of various mapping & 3D tools, I can accept the $300 but not if only 4 uses.

My learning methods: I'd use it a dozen times just exploring and getting to know the product.

Have many tried the optional modules? Better, Same or Worse than other products?

Have many tried the optional modules? Better, Same or Worse than other products?

It would help to know what you are doing. If you're mapping, I highly recommend MapPilot Business over and above GS Pro. Aside from the fact that I'm done "logging in" to DJI for ANY reason (I'm done with the Nazi-like restrictions they put on my drone), MapPilot Business includes access to SRTM data for terrain awareness, which is HUGE. Unfortunately, importing .kml files is a bit of a hack, but I do it all the time.

MapPilot disadvantages:

1) MapPilot doesn't automatically build the missions based on .kml files. One must build the missions by hand.

2) MapPilot won't do inside polygons.

3) MapPilot's GUI can be a little awkward, as re-orienting mission grids is done with two finger "twist" on the screen, as opposed to granulated + and - signs one clicks in GS Pro for changing grid angle one degree at a time.

While MapPilot doesn't have chat support, their website support portal is very quick and precise. The guy I deal with is Zane, and he's very "Johnny-on-the-spot" with answers (usually answers within an hour or two)...and I don't feel like I'm conversing with a Singaporean housewife (named "Dave") with a script.

All that said, I DO occasionally use GS Pro (v1) for some smaller, non-terrain, border-sensitive mapping gigs where an inside polygon is necessary. Importing the .kml file into GS Pro is a bit awkward and clumsy, but CAN be done if you pay the fee (which grants unlimited lifetime .kml imports).

All that said, we do all our own post-processing in Pix4D, so any "processing" offerings are not a carrot for me. We do precise mapping utilizing multiple GCP's. So my use perspective may differ from yours.

D

Reactions: dougcjohn and Kelv
It would help to know what you are doing. If you're mapping, I highly recommend MapPilot Business over and above GS Pro. Aside from the fact that I'm done "logging in" to DJI for ANY reason (I'm done with the Nazi-like restrictions they put on my drone), MapPilot Business includes access to SRTM data for terrain awareness, which is HUGE. Unfortunately, importing .kml files is a bit of a hack, but I do it all the time.

MapPilot disadvantages:

1) MapPilot doesn't automatically build the missions based on .kml files. One must build the missions by hand.

2) MapPilot won't do inside polygons.

3) MapPilot's GUI can be a little awkward, as re-orienting mission grids is done with two finger "twist" on the screen, as opposed to granulated + and - signs one clicks in GS Pro for changing grid angle one degree at a time.

While MapPilot doesn't have chat support, their website support portal is very quick and precise. The guy I deal with is Zane, and he's very "Johnny-on-the-spot" with answers (usually answers within an hour or two)...and I don't feel like I'm conversing with a Singaporean housewife (named "Dave") with a script.

All that said, I DO occasionally use GS Pro (v1) for some smaller, non-terrain, border-sensitive mapping gigs where an inside polygon is necessary. Importing the .kml file into GS Pro is a bit awkward and clumsy, but CAN be done if you pay the fee (which grants unlimited lifetime .kml imports).

All that said, we do all our own post-processing in Pix4D, so any "processing" offerings are not a carrot for me. We do precise mapping utilizing multiple GCP's. So my use perspective may differ from yours.

D
Hey Donnie, we've chatted in past... I was sharing the terrain follow feature within UgCS.

I was mainly hoping to find someone that's used the GSPro V2 optional add-on modules... trying to figure out the price as one time or needs to be renewed.

I hear ya on the DJI upload concerns, so curiosity... are you not performing any new updates and keeping your platforms static at current version?

Thanks for the info & insight on Map Pilot.

Hey Donnie, we've chatted in past... I was sharing the terrain follow feature within UgCS.

Ahhh...copy that. Thanx for jarring my memory.

I was mainly hoping to find someone that's used the GSPro V2 optional add-on modules... trying to figure out the price as one time or needs to be renewed.

Copy that again. DJI "updates" (AKA: "upgrades") scare the bejesus out of me, mostly because their release notes are a joke, and often a flat-out lie. "We've updated no fly zones" generally means, "We're put more restrictions on your drone," etc., which you "discover" while out on the job site. That assumes they even mention NFZ's in their release notes. I don't have time to run every use scenario on every drone after ever update. Maddening. So, unless I find something extremely wrong with the current version of ANY drone software I am using, I DO NOT update it. Same goes with firmware. I'm a FIRM believer in legacy firmware and software. I'll let everybody else beta test the "latest/greatest" FW/Software. This paradigm has served me EXTREMELY well over the years. All my birds fly perfectly every time without a hitch because I use tried-and-true versions of FW and software. NO SURPRISES. I LIKE it that way....<;^)

I hear ya on the DJI upload concerns, so curiosity... are you not performing any new updates and keeping your platforms static at current version?

Correct. Going from memory here... My Inspire 1 FW is v1.08.xx.xx. The Go App is v3.1.1. The Go 4 app is v4.0.8. My P4P FW is v1.3.509. I can remember these numbers because they have remained unchanged for years. My Mavic Pro is running legacy FW, as well...but can't remember the version as I type.

Thanks for the info & insight on Map Pilot.

You bet. Worth noting, the Map Pilot Business version holds off on new releases pending feedback from the amateur community. So the Business version is usually 3 or 4 updates behind. Right now the Business version is on v3.1.5.1, but I'm running v2.9.2. I will probably update it here soon, but ONLY because I can roll back if I don't like the changes they made to v3.1.5.1. Most mortals don't have the option to roll back Apple anything, but I've hacked that, too.

Apple and DJI...between the two of them they REALLY like to control their user base!! Geeze! Not me. HA!

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD