Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

H264 or h265

Reaction score
Website
veuwraerials.com
Has anyone noticed a difference between h254 and h265?

I’ve tried both on my Inspire 2 and x5s and other than the h265 struggling to playback on my desktop I don’t see any difference in quality and I want to make sure I’m not missing something

Has anyone noticed a difference between h254 and h265?

I’ve tried both on my Inspire 2 and x5s and other than the h265 struggling to playback on my desktop I don’t see any difference in quality and I want to make sure I’m not missing something
h265 creates smaller files with (supposedly) better quality. For me, the carrot is the smaller files, as I deal with massive amounts of data. That said, you have to make sure you have the correct codecs for playing back these files. Download and install K-Lite Megapack.

I just downloaded the new Avatar. I usually just download 1080p h.265 files, which are usually around 1.5GB for a full length feature film. However, I decided to go "all out" on Avatar and downloaded the 4K version. And then I took it to the next level by downloading the 10-bit version. This is a 33GB file. I imagine this would be closer to 40GB using the old h.264 codec. I honestly half expected our 4K LED Flat-screen to choke on the high bitrate (which also creates higher data rate requirements). To my surprise, using an HDD (and dock) via the T.V.'s 3.0 USB port has worked perfectly.

There's more to HVEC, but the short answer is that it makes smaller files. But ya gotta have the HP and codec to unpack it.

D

H265 is more compressed than H264.
Hence requiring more compution power.
I have also noticed that the H265 files are not much smaller at times.
Most people don't really need 4K video at this point in time, let along have 4K TV's, or 4K monitors.
H264 compression scheme utilizes looking at a 16x16 pixel area, whereas a 265 compression scheme starts at a 16x16 and goes up to a 64x64 pixel area.
In the early days of digital I have witnessed analogue vs compressed video and the analog version looked much better, showing all the varied hues etc. So the less compressed should show color variations better.
Remember the Beta vs VHS debate. The Beta version was far superior, the VHS won out with longer recording times.

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg