Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Have I been conned?!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum as I have just bought a used Inspire on eBay - I was wondering if anyone could help me out:

The advertised Inspire says "Inspire 1 Pro X5 (Upgraded X3)" - does this mean that its not actually an Inspire Pro if it was initially bought with the X3 camera fitted?

Are there any differences between an Inspire 1 X3 and an Inspire 1 Pro X5?

Was the Inspire 1 Pro ever sold with an X3 Camera?

Have I been conned into buying an Inspire 1 with an x5 camera falsely advertised as an Inspire 1 Pro?

There are too many different variants I'm only now finding out having bought it...

Thanks for any advice!

W

In order. I1 (V1) came with the X3, then came the i1 v2, i1 (v2) pro X5 shortly after X5R. You can take either a v1 or v2 and upgrade from X3 to X5,X5R.

It does not sound like you have been conned if the camera is indeed an x5 and it actually fits on the drone.

The main difference between the x3 and x5 is the mounting plate on the craft bottom that allows the upgraded camera.

The x5 system is heavier and thus has a larger mounting system that bolts on to the bottom. If you took a x3 inspire and added the x5 camera/ plate it would be no different to the pro.

An x3 standard setup will not take a x5 camera but once the upgrade is carried out you can use a x5 or x3 on the drone.

DO NOT FORGET to lock the little golf club shaped brackets on the x5 unit before flight. Many a person has apparently forgot this and seen the camera drop off mid air o_O

Hope this clear it up for you.

Peace
Mick

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarsipius
The V1 motors are a little less efficient and you will loose some flight time. V2 motors are better prepared for the added weight of X5/X5R.

Reactions: GlennElevate
I just found out it was originally an X3 model upgraded for the X5 camera with the taller feet and newer prop adapters.

So does that mean it won't have the more efficient motors mentioned by Eric?

Are there any other differences physically?

I think what I'm really asking is: does upgrading an X3 model to an X5 camera make it into a Pro if if wasn't sold as a Pro originally?!

Thanks!

I just found out it was originally an X3 model upgraded for the X5 camera with the taller feet and newer prop adapters.

So does that mean it won't have the more efficient motors mentioned by Eric?

Are there any other differences physically?

I think what I'm really asking is: does upgrading an X3 model to an X5 camera make it into a Pro if if wasn't sold as a Pro originally?!

Thanks!

Yes if the X3 inspire 1 is a version 2, if it is version 1 then the only difference from an inspire 1 Pro is the motors so that it gives a little bit less flight time than in a version 2.

Don't know exactly how big the difference in flight time is, but don't think its more than a few minutes.

The thing that makes the inspire 1 a Pro is the X5 camera.

I believe after the V2 was released and all original V1's were sold if you/they bought a standard i1 it came with the improved V2 motors. I'm sure the S/N or someone else can chime in on how to tell. I'm not sure, so I won't speculate further.
I do know the V1 upgraded to X5 does feel under powered. I've flown and seen a few that were and it did get the job done... you probably won't be able to tell unless you have another one to compare it to. I'd say it's close to 3 minutes of a difference in flight time. With so many variables it's hard to tell. I do know it's still a great bird and camera, making it worth it. I still fly my i1's but there really is nothing better than the i2. Have fun with your *Pro. You'll love it, of that I'm sure.

Reactions: GlennElevate
If you want to know if it's a V2, look at the bell housing of the motors. It will say 3510H. If not, it was an I1 version 1, upgraded with just the camera plate to allow the X5. If the motors are 3510H then the person either started with a I1 version 2 or went through the hassle of upgrading motor and ESC on their version 1. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. It's not black or white difference and it'll do what you need it to, which is put the camera in the air for video and/or pictures.

Reactions: Eric
Thank you everyone for your help, I've picked it up, its a V1, but is in great shape and came with stacks of spares and gadgets, so I'm happy with it.

Reactions: John Archer
Don't caught up in the hype of the X5 though.
People have had issues with it such as focusing.
I've been flying my Inspire 1 v1 with the x3 for almost three years now and it is perfect.
You have to look at common sense. You fly these things at say 100 feet up in the air, why would you even want to deal with focus usually? The X3 is set at infinity and you get a perfect shot every time!
Sure there might be some issues where you're inspecting a tower for instance up close and you want the background out of focus, I get it, but for 90 % of shooting, a fixed focus is great!

Don't caught up in the hype of the X5 though.
People have had issues with it such as focusing.
I've been flying my Inspire 1 v1 with the x3 for almost three years now and it is perfect.
You have to look at common sense. You fly these things at say 100 feet up in the air, why would you even want to deal with focus usually? The X3 is set at infinity and you get a perfect shot every time!
Sure there might be some issues where you're inspecting a tower for instance up close and you want the background out of focus, I get it, but for 90 % of shooting, a fixed focus is great!
The X5 does bring more to the table, though, like a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses. So it's not like you're not getting anything good when you get an X5. But, yes, there were issues, including noise in low light.

The X5 does bring more to the table, though, like a larger sensor and interchangeable lenses. So it's not like you're not getting anything good when you get an X5. But, yes, there were issues, including noise in low light.

Thanks for all the advice, all good to know. I bought it as a small easy quick setup drone for getting closer to stuff outside of our control. Our main rig is a Vulcan UAV Raven with Arri Mini or Panasonic Varicam LT. The Inspire doesn't have to be superduper just needs to fill in where we can't fly the big stuff.

I've been putting off buying one of these for years as I didn't like the non-modular non - work-on-it-yourself nature of it but am beginning to appreciate the fact that at least if the worst comes to the worst I could just buy another one whereas the custom heavy rig would take weeks to repair/replace.

Thanks again!

Will

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide