Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Head tracking setup for second FPV camera

Did you get this mod to work? I am looking into buying my fatshark to do what you did

I had to send my fatsharks in for repair (bad receiver switch) so I had to wait for everything. I also couldn't figure out how to get around the 2.4ghz issue for the second transmitter that controls the headtracking. I thought about going to 433mhz but licensing is required. I ended up putting a IR blocked 2.5mm lens on the front cam so it has a wide FOV. I think I'll stick to this for now, its definitely possible, I just ran out of patience with it. The fixed cam ended up working great when I realized the inspire is just as fast flying sideways and backwards as it is flying forwards. So if i'm chasing a moving object I just have to fly sideways and yaw slightly if I need to check to make sure i'm not coming up on an obstacle. Guess all the time flying the littlebird in battlefield 4 payed off :)

On a side note, the goggles are badass to fly with, but when it comes to real world semi professional filming it's much more efficient to have a good bright 7" 5.8ghz tablet custom mounted to your inspire controller, along with a smaller device such as a cell phone with the maps pulled up. This way you have full IFR I like to call it, and the view from the 600tvl fatshark camera working together. Also its much better to be able to look up quick and see the inspire. The goggles you have to mess with for 10 seconds to get them into the right position.
20150621_163623.jpg

Last edited:
I had to send my fatsharks in for repair (bad receiver switch) so I had to wait for everything. I also couldn't figure out how to get around the 2.4ghz issue for the second transmitter that controls the headtracking. I thought about going to 433mhz but licensing is required. I ended up putting a IR blocked 2.5mm lens on the front cam so it has a wide FOV. I think I'll stick to this for now, its definitely possible, I just ran out of patience with it. The fixed cam ended up working great when I realized the inspire is just as fast flying sideways and backwards as it is flying forwards. So if i'm chasing a moving object I just have to fly sideways and yaw slightly if I need to check to make sure i'm not coming up on an obstacle. Guess all the time flying the littlebird in battlefield 4 payed off :)

On a side note, the goggles are badass to fly with, but when it comes to real world semi professional filming it's much more efficient to have a good bright 7" 5.8ghz tablet custom mounted to your inspire controller, along with a smaller device such as a cell phone with the maps pulled up. This way you have full IFR I like to call it, and the view from the 600tvl fatshark camera working together. Also its much better to be able to look up quick and see the inspire. The goggles you have to mess with for 10 seconds to get them into the right position.
View attachment 2486
I was thinking in doing all this to avoid objects when I am filming sideways but piloting the inspire forward, and the fatsharks are actually needed because the sun is killing me in the summer and sometimes my iPad overheats due to the nonstop sun exposure.

I was thinking in doing all this to avoid objects when I am filming sideways but piloting the inspire forward, and the fatsharks are actually needed because the sun is killing me in the summer and sometimes my iPad overheats due to the nonstop sun exposure.
excaclty what brought me to buying the goggles. The South FL sun. Thats where the goggles come in handy, but its also where the goggles fog up and get sweaty. like I said, for flying around and filming and having fun its awesome to use the goggles. Also, when you take them off you're literally blind in the sun because your eyes are so used to the dark. Now you're trying to land your inspire blind. After testing them on multiple photo shoots I didnt like the fact that it was impossible to quickly look up and see the inspire, even with my cameraman there keeping it LOS. I suggest a FPV monitor brighter than the black pearl, and using something like the iphone 6 as your maps device. They both fit on the controller when slightly modded. There's a thread on it somewhere in the forums...I tried the ipad too, didnt like it. Its way too dim. however a sun visor will fix this from being too overheated as well as dim. The plus to using your phone is you always have it with you, and it has constant data to make sure you have your whole maps area cached.

Or better yet, just mount a bright phone onto your inspire mount, and use a tripod setup for your FPV monitor.

Last edited:
excaclty what brought me to buying the goggles. The South FL sun. Thats where the goggles come in handy, but its also where the goggles fog up and get sweaty. like I said, for flying around and filming and having fun its awesome to use the goggles. Also, when you take them off you're literally blind in the sun because your eyes are so used to the dark. After testing them on multiple photo shoots I didnt like the fact that it was impossible to quickly look up and see the inspire, even with my cameraman there keeping it LOS. I suggest a FPV monitor brighter than the black pearl, and using something like the iphone 6 as your maps device. They both fit on the controller when slightly modded. There's a thread on it somewhere in the forums...I tried the ipad too, didnt like it. Its way too dim.

Or better yet, just mount a bright phone onto your inspire mount, and use a tripod setup for your FPV monitor.
I was thinking in getting a tripod for my iPad and get or make like a hood where you can actually put in your head down to your shoulders. Its kinda hard to explain my self since english is my second language.
Kinda like the picture attached but with a frame and the bottom opened so that you can step out.

Attachments

• camera_117E7DEB-95A4-3493-9D1F5673DDF35929.jpg
    camera_117E7DEB-95A4-3493-9D1F5673DDF35929.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 23
Looks like heat stroke where I live....

For the $550 the goggles cost new, you could have an awesome setup without the need for the goggles, trust me. If you want I can help you come up with a list based on my experience trying to make the goggles work for what I need...Let me know brother!

Looks like heat stroke where I live....

For the $550 the goggles cost new, you could have an awesome setup without the need for the goggles, trust me. If you want I can help you come up with a list based on my experience trying to make the goggles work for what I need...Let me know brother!
Yeah didn't think of that but I will try it out regardless Ill let you know how it goes

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarolinODo