Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hello from Texas and Los Angeles; Time to Inspire me.

Reaction score
Hi all. My name is Glen and I'm new to this whole world of flying. I WANT TO ASK SOME QUESTIONS AND LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR ADVICE. IS THIS THE BEST PLACE TO ASK?

I have worked in the film industry for over 20 years and I have always wanted a flying camera. In addition to working, I also teach at a college and I thought I might utilize the tool for class.

I keep jumping back and forth between a new purchase. On one hand, I understand why the Inspire 1 v2 is a more professional tool than a Phantom 4. On the other hand, I can clearly see how the additional safety features found on the Phantom 4 would be of great benefit.

Of course, when I seriously begin looking into purchasing one of these tools, I come during a price drop and sale. With the Inspire 1v2 and the Phantom 4 being within $600 of one another, it seems to come down to "a true 360 camera with clear line of sight" with the Inspire vs "a more restricted camera flying with sensors that will keep the unit from crashing into a tree or wall" with the Phantom 4.

And then, I read that this price drop probably means the Inspire 2 (Or 1v3) will probably be released at the next Drone show in September??!!

Oh, what to do!?? :D (I'm not really quite sure if there is even the possibility of updating an Inspire 1v2 to the specs of an Inspire 2, should the 2 come with the collision avoidance sensors of the Phantom?

And then, to top it all off, I mentioned I teach. That means I can also acquire either with an additional educational discount... but only if I order directly from DJI -- Which I read on this site is a major, major, major mistake. Why?

So many questions for a newbee. But, I am happy to be here and I hope soon to be up in the air!

--Glen

PS - Let's say it's many months before an new version of the Inspire is released, If one buys a low-end unit, can it be updated to the specs of a "pro" level unit? Is the difference more than the camera?

Last edited:
Hi all. My name is Glen and I'm new to this whole world of flying. I have worked in the film industry for over 20 years and I have always wanted a flying camera. In addition to working, I also teach at a college and I thought I might utilize the tool for class.

I keep jumping back and forth between a new purchase. On one hand, I understand why the Inspire 1 v2 is a more professional tool than a Phantom 4. On the other hand, I can clearly see how the additional safety features found on the Phantom 4 would be of great benefit.

Of course, when I seriously begin looking into purchasing one of these tools, I come during a price drop and sale. With the Inspire 1v2 and the Phantom 4 being within $600 of one another, it seems to come down to "a true 360 camera with clear line of sight" with the Inspire vs "a more restricted camera flying with sensors that will keep the unit from crashing into a tree or wall" with the Phantom 4.

And then, I read that this price drop probably means the Inspire 2 (Or 1v3) will probably be released at the next Drone show in September??!!

Oh, what to do!?? :D (I'm not really quite sure if there is even the possibility of updating an Inspire 1v2 to the specs of an Inspire 2, should the 2 come with the collision avoidance sensors of the Phantom?

And then, to top it all off, I mentioned I teach. That means I can also acquire either with an additional educational discount... but only if I order directly from DJI -- Which I read on this site is a major, major, major mistake. Why?

So many questions for a newbee. But, I am happy to be here and I hope soon to be up in the air!

--Glen

PS - Let's say it's many months before an new version of the Inspire is released, If one buys a low-end unit, can it be updated to the specs of a "pro" level unit? Is the difference more than the camera?
I am in the exact same boat Glen. I purchased the Phantom 4 about two months ago and love to fly it and the camera exceeded my expectations. I am now ready to move to the Inspire and cannot decide which direction I should move in. I keep reminding myself that if a new version of the Inspire does come out in the next few months, it will most likely be much more expensive than the current version after the recent price drops. That said, I will probably buy the current version and look into the next generation when it drops. By the way, where in Texas are you located? I am in Lubbock.

Hi Karma,

When I'm in town, I'm near Houston. I wish I could just buy both units! ;)

I think I'm going to Best Buy and pick up a Phantom 4, and then wait a month and see if the Inspire is upgraded.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo