Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Help Please, convert inspire footage to 50i interlaced

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
My clients are editing on avid.
We can't seem to convert the footage from
50p to 50i
Does anyone know how to do this?
We have tried every option.
Was filmed on 1920x1080 50p on MOV.

When we convert the footage. It looks pixelated and terrible. And ideas why?

Any solutions or options will be much appreciated.

What is you final delivery going to be?

50i is the field rate so if the material was shot at 50p (frame rate) you can drop it on a 50i timeline/project and you will simply duplicate frames and get very smooth temporal motion. I would not try and 'convert' or interpret the footage on ingest. Simply drop it and edit on a 50i timeline.
Output to a 50i preset since a field is made up of two frames anyway and you should be good to go. I do this all the time without issue within an Edius environment.

Is there a REAL reason the client needs interlaced footage as you will loose circa 30% perceived resolution due to the Kell factor!

Last edited:
Thank
What is you final delivery going to be?

50i is the field rate so if the material was shot at 50p (frame rate) you can drop it on a 50i timeline/project and you will simply duplicate frames and get very smooth temporal motion. I would not try and 'convert' or interpret the footage on ingest. Simply drop it and edit on a 50i timeline.
Output to a 50i preset since a field is made up of two frames anyway and you should be good to go. I do this all the time without issue within an Edius environment.

Is there a REAL reason the client needs interlaced footage as you will loose circa 30% perceived resolution due to the Kell factor!

Thanks for the reply. The tv show is being shot on interlaced but they can't seem to successfully import the inspire footage. It becomes pixelated and looks crap.

They are using Avid. Any ideas why it's doing this? These guys are great technicians. But nobody here can figure it out?

Where abouts in the world are you? I assume you are PAL territory if you are talking about 50i?

I see no reason why the footage would become pixelated purely on ingest. Have you tried converting the .MOV to a proprietary codec that AVID will play nicely with maybe Avid Meridien Uncompressed (8 bit ) or AvidAV1x?
As far as I know Avid will read quicktime files natively so I'm not sure why it's giving problems (although quicktime can be a law unto itself sometimes :rolleyes:).
For future reference you will probably have less issues if you drop the .MOV wrapper and shoot using MP4 container instead as it is widely more compatible across platforms. Doesn't help you for now I know but something to bear in mind for future.

OK, I'll try and help but talk me through your workflow:

Footage obviously shot on the Inspire at 1080p 50p using QT/.MOV
From there take me through your workflow....

Where abouts in the world are you? I assume you are PAL territory if you are talking about 50i?

I see no reason why the footage would become pixelated purely on ingest. Have you tried converting the .MOV to a proprietary codec that AVID will play nicely with maybe Avid Meridien Uncompressed (8 bit ) or AvidAV1x?
As far as I know Avid will read quicktime files natively so I'm not sure why it's giving problems (although quicktime can be a law unto itself sometimes :rolleyes:).
For future reference you will probably have less issues if you drop the .MOV wrapper and shoot using MP4 container instead as it is widely more compatible across platforms. Doesn't help you for now I know but something to bear in mind for future.

OK, I'll try and help but talk me through your workflow:

Footage obviously shot on the Inspire at 1080p 50p using QT/.MOV
From there take me through your workflow....

I don't have a workflow. Yet. I'm just trying to convert it to interlaced. But it looks terrible every time we convert it.

Yes. I'm using PAL. Client using avid.
I've tried converting using
MPEG stream clip to prores
Media encoder
Final cut
Premiere
And after effects.

Not having much luck.

Secondly. If there was a 'fix' wish I could batch convert as there's already lots of footage shot

OK... that's where I think your problem is - DON'T try and convert it.
AVID should play nicely with progressive footage at 50fps.
Can you try just importing the footage as is, then edit on the timeline.
Then, only once you have finished the edit, export it out to one of the Avid codecs to an interlaced file. Or, if you do not want to edit anything at this stage simply output as above to maybe AVID AVI.

Then bring that file into another AVID project with your non Inspire shots and mix the two together for final export in your final edit?

The client probably uses an old version of Avid that doesn't yet support 50p, we have the same problem with one of ours.

We export in 50Mbps 1080i50 XDCAM for them. Quality suffers a bit and it hurts of course, but they're happy.

Granger
I am having the same problem for a client that is using Avid - a version that is about 10 years old so he tells me. He use to be able to get the GOPRO files into Avid OK but Inspire 1 is causing him trouble. Did the 50p get it sorted for you do you know please. Sorry to ask this to a early thread but I have been searching for ages and only just found the Forum.

OK... that's where I think your problem is - DON'T try and convert it.
AVID should play nicely with progressive footage at 50fps.
Can you try just importing the footage as is, then edit on the timeline.
Then, only once you have finished the edit, export it out to one of the Avid codecs to an interlaced file. Or, if you do not want to edit anything at this stage simply output as above to maybe AVID AVI.

Then bring that file into another AVID project with your non Inspire shots and mix the two together for final export in your final edit?
I must admit I dont understand. I am in Australia and have produced over 2000 tv commercials. They are always exported progressive. I agree that if they are wanting interlaced, I would edit in Pro Res and export by ticking the interlaced box. You could also use Mpeg Streamclip and convert to interlaced.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44