Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

House Ban on DJI

Reaction score
Does anyone know the full story of what’s going on the the DJI ban? I’ve heard that they are being banned for regular commercial/rec pilots as well??

I clearly misread your post, sorry.
I was banned this morning all access to this site. It said I was banned for spamming which was just not true.
They wrote me and said that they were heavily attacked by spamming the night before and I somehow got caught up in their defenses.
Go figure....anyway they restored me to site.
Sorry about that.
That said,....it wouldn't surprise me if they do ban DJI.
No problem. Yeah that would be really bad. I just invested in the inspire 3.

Only in the U.S. do we ban foreign drones while simultaneously regulating the living piss out of domestic drone companies, thereby squashing any and all hopes of become a world leader in drone technology - which we would have undoubtedly run away with if not for the FAA and FCC vehement, borderline-paranoid over-regulation.

Discuss.

D

I could find no official source or legitimate journalist that says the bill is to ban use of DJI drones by the public. This whole rumor seems to have started when some guy read a summary of a summary of the bill and jumped to the conclusion that the ban is for everyone based on a couple of words of said summary of a summary that wasn’t in the original text. Not even the summary he read suggested a ban for non-government private individuals.

But in the click bait world a bunch of bloggers made a story out of it.

The bill they are referring to, which these guys can’t even get the right bill number, is
H.R. 2864 which is literally two pages saying to add DJI to a list in the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act of 2019 which “prohibits the use of certain federal funds to obtain communications equipment or services from a company that poses a national security risk to U.S. communications networks.”

Honestly, have you ever heard of company’s products being banned for consumer use in the US that wasn’t like from an embargoed country? I feel like that would be big national news.

I agree with @Brett8883. I read through H.R. 2864, and then read the summary of Bill H.R. 4998. I see nothing here regarding an overall blanket ban of DJI products. This seems limited to government, which we've all known about for years.

Here's the H.R. 4998 summary. I think a couple of the key words here are "...from entering U.S. networks..."

Here is Bill H.R. 4998 summary in its entirety:

================= START ================

Shown Here:​

Public Law No: 116-124 (03/12/2020)​

Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act of 2019

This bill establishes (1) a mechanism to prevent communications equipment or services that pose a national security risk from entering U.S. networks, and (2) a program to remove any such equipment or services currently used in U.S. networks.

Specifically, the bill prohibits the use of certain federal funds to obtain communications equipment or services from a company that poses a national security risk to U.S. communications networks. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) must publish and maintain a list of such equipment or services.

Each communications provider must submit an annual report to the FCC regarding whether it has purchased, rented, leased, or otherwise obtained any prohibited equipment and, if so, provide a detailed justification for such action.

The bill also establishes the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Reimbursement Program to supply small communications providers (i.e., providers with 2 million or fewer customers) with funds to offset the cost of removing prohibited equipment or services from their networks and replacing it with more secure communications equipment or services.

In addition, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration must establish a program to share information regarding supply chain security risks with trusted communications providers and suppliers.

================= END ================

The amendment just seems to make provision for adding other DJI products (Like the OSMO maybe??? Or other film industry, non-aerial equipment like Ronin????).

Discuss.

D

Last edited:
I agree with @Brett8883. I read through H.R. 2864, and then read the summary of Bill H.R. 4998. I see nothing here regarding an overall, blanket ban of DJI products. This seems limited to government, which we've all known about for years.

Here's the H.R. 4998 summary. I think a couple of the key words here are "...from entering U.S. networks..."

Here is Bill H.R. 4998 summary in its entirety:

================= START ================

Shown Here:​

Public Law No: 116-124 (03/12/2020)​

Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act of 2019

This bill establishes (1) a mechanism to prevent communications equipment or services that pose a national security risk from entering U.S. networks, and (2) a program to remove any such equipment or services currently used in U.S. networks.

Specifically, the bill prohibits the use of certain federal funds to obtain communications equipment or services from a company that poses a national security risk to U.S. communications networks. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) must publish and maintain a list of such equipment or services.

Each communications provider must submit an annual report to the FCC regarding whether it has purchased, rented, leased, or otherwise obtained any prohibited equipment and, if so, provide a detailed justification for such action.

The bill also establishes the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Reimbursement Program to supply small communications providers (i.e., providers with 2 million or fewer customers) with funds to offset the cost of removing prohibited equipment or services from their networks and replacing it with more secure communications equipment or services.

In addition, the National Telecommunications and Information Administration must establish a program to share information regarding supply chain security risks with trusted communications providers and suppliers.

================= END ================

The amendment just seems to make provision for adding other DJI products (Like the OSMO maybe??? Or other film industry, non-aerial equipment like Ronin????).

Discuss.

D
Yea I’m going to treat it as a non issue until someone with actual qualifications says it’s something to be worried about.

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kajal142