Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

HOW TO: Setup and use Point of Interest (POI)

Reaction score
Follow the steps below to setup and use the Point of Interest (POI) feature in the DJI GO app. If you have additional tips or information below, please comment below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Launch the Point of Interest (POI) feature.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Your Inspire needs to be started and in the air before you'll be able to access the Point of Interest (POI) feature in the DJI GO app. Start your Inspire, take off, and fly it directly above the location or object you'd like to circle.

2) Flip the PAF switch to the "F" position to access the IOC features. If Multiple Flight Mode is not enabled, you're going to see the following prompt:

Phantom-3-IOC-MultipleFlightMode.jpg

If you see the above prompt, click the "OK" button to enable Multiple Flight Mode.

3) Select "Point of Interest" from the IOC menu.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-1.jpg

4) You might be prompted to verify your RTH Altitude setting. If so, ensure the altitude is set higher than the object you're going to be circling -- and all obstacles in your location. This will ensure that you do not accidentally crash into an obstacle if your remote controller signal is lost and your Inspire tries to return to the home point.

Phantom-3-IOC-RTH.jpg

Configure the Point of Interest (POI) settings.

5) You'll be prompted to confirm that your Inspire is above the point you'd like to circle. Since your Inspire is already hovering at that location, click the "Record the POI" button to mark that point.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-2.jpg

6) A new menu will appear showing you settings to configure the radius, altitude, direction, and speed.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-3.jpg

7) Pull back on the right stick to move away from the object you're going to be circling. As your Inspire moves, you'll see the "Radius" value increase. Keep moving back until your Inspire is at the outside edge of the circle you'd like to make.

Pull down on or push up on the left stick to set the altitude you'd like your Inspire to fly as it circles. As your Inspire moves, you'll see the "Altitude" value increase/decrease.

Important: Make sure the altitude is set high enough. If your Inspire circles around the object and you can no longer see it, the remote controller signal will be lost and your Inspire will return to the home point.

Note: You'll be able to adjust the radius and altitude later. So, it's okay if they are not perfect at this point.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-4.jpg

8) Adjust the speed slider to the left if you'd like your Inspire to travel clockwise around the circle. Or, slide it to the right if you'd like your Inspire to travel counter-clockwise around the circle. The speed will increase as the slider moves further away from the center of the bar.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-5.jpg

9) Click the "Apply" button to save your settings and to start circling the object.

Phantom-3-POI-Set-6.jpg

Make adjustments as your Inspire circles the object.

10) Your Inspire will continue to circle the object over and over again until you tell it to stop. You can temporarily stop your Inspire by clicking the "Pause" button.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-1.jpg

11) As your Inspire is circling the object, you can push the right stick down to increase the radius or push it up to decrease the radius. The "Radius" value will change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Inspire will also start circling at the new radius as you increase/decrease it.

As your Inspire is circling the object, you can also adjust the altitude. Push the left stick up to increase the altitude or down to decrease the altitude. The "Altitude" value will change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Inspire will also start circling at the new altitude as you increase/decrease it.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-2.jpg

12) As your Inspire is circling the object, you can adjust the speed slider to increase/decrease the speed. The speed value with change in real-time as you make this adjustment. Your Inspire will also start circling at the new speed as you increase/decrease it.

Important: Do not move the slider across the center point. Doing so might make your Inspire unstable as it attempts to change its direction. If you'd like to change the direction, click the "Pause" button, make that adjustment, and then unpause to continue circling in the new direction.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-3.jpg

13) As your Inspire is circling the object, you can move the left stick to the right or left to yaw and face a different direction. Click "Focus" to make your Inspire point toward the center of the circle again.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-4.jpg

14) Click the "Exit" button to stop circling and exit the Point of Interest (POI) function. You can also exit by flipping the PAF switch back to the "P" position.

Phantom-3-POI-Fly-5.jpg

Important: Make sure the altitude is set high enough. If your Inspire circles around the object and you can no longer see it, the remote controller signal will be lost and your Inspire will return to the home point.

It has been reported in the phantom thread that the craft will continue to orbit even if connection is lost, until such time as connection is re-establish or low battery forces landing. Clarification is needed on this.

Reactions: Dr_Dooms

It has been reported in the phantom thread that the craft will continue to orbit even if connection is lost, until such time as connection is re-establish or low battery forces landing. Clarification is needed on this.
For the waypoint mode I have tested the loss of RC signal. As the onscreen messages state, the aircraft continued with and completed the mission. When it finished it remained in the hover (as selected). It did not commence RTH until the Smart RTH kicked in. If you have selected RTH on completion it will do so and it is essential that a safe RTH height is input in the last dialog. I have not tested this with the POI mode.

I've not had a chance to test POI yet but can I set the circle speed to 0 and then control the speed / direction with the right stick? I would rather control the circle myself and have the craft orient for me like - I do with the A2 - than have it automatically perform the circle manoeuvre.

Tested out new firmware.

Had two android tablet disconnects.

This did not happen to me.

Not bad extra functions.

Bit gutted on the nvidia shield crashes though.Is it the tablet or the firmware?........

Very quick test. No processing on the video. Just started to get used to it and it started pouring.
This feature is going to make these shots a hell of a lot easier than when I was doing them manually. Worked well. Can't wait to have some time to shoot something more interesting.

Reactions: toofastdave
Excellent tutorial, thank you for sharing, interested to know ' tweaker ' have you have continued crashes with he Shield, I've just had mine replaced as part of the 'Battery fire' recall.

Also ' msinger ', do you know if these POIs are stored for future use? my concern is not so much for POI where you want to circle a POI but for 'Waypoints' where you have to fly to each point to record path, as you using vital battery life, potentially using 50% of battery and only getting maybe one flyby depending on the distance of your flight path.

Can you save this so that you can orbit the same location, distance and speed over time? Think construction time lapse.

I don't think you can with POI , I may be wrong but that sounds more like a waypoint feature....

1) Your Inspire needs to be started and in the air before you'll be able to access the Point of Interest (POI) feature in the DJI GO app. Start your Inspire, take off, and fly it directly above the location or object you'd like to circle.

What if you can't fly directly above your subject, like a 450ft building, or a stripper pole?

How long is the setup, how much battery do you use up hovering/programming?
(can u land. change packs, then start circling again without reprogramming everything again?)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry