Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I am new to drone flying. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Please read.

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I recently bought an inspire 2 kit This is everything the package contains.

1.1 DJI Inspire 2 drone
2. Prores and CinemaDNG license
3. 8 TB50 batteries
4. 2 charging hubs
5. 1 wall charger
6. 2 car chargers
7. Zenmuse X7 camera w/ case
8. 16mm DL mount DJI lens w/ 4 hole case
9. CrystalSky Ultra 7.85 in
10. Polarpro CrystalSky cover
11. 2 remote controls
12. 2 tablet RC mounts
13. 1 CrystalSky RC mount
14. 1 SSD reader
15. 1x240GB SSD + 1x480GB SSD
16. GPS Module Camera port cap, X7 cap, extra lens cap
17. Balancing ring
18. 7 propellor pairs, 2 high altitude propellor pairs
19. Inspire 2 hard foam case

I am brand new to drone flying and taking videos. This package is en route to me as we speak. Is there anything this package is missing that I need to purchase in addition to what is shown in the pictures? If so, I would like to purchase them now so they arrive around the same time as this kit so I have full functionality of all features. Also, the package says it comes with both cinema and apple pro res licenses. How do I check to see if the drone actually has the licenses installed? Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: GFields
The seller had mentioned that it is missing the batteries and charger for the crystal sky monitor (I believe it's the wb37 batteries and charger. Also, I am not sure but some things maybe optional but would be nice to have, like the hood (for the crystal sky monitor), calibration plate. Anything else I may be missing, please do tell. Also this package comes with only the 16 mm 2.8 lens. Not sure how important the other lenses are (I've seen some kits with 4 lenses or more). Also, I am not sure but this kit comes with the basic foam case. It looks like a lot of items so how do you normally store all the accessories? I have seen the pelican trolley case but is there any other case best used for storage or will the case (shown in the picture) be enough to hold all those accessories? I just don't want to have to use zip lock bags to hold extra accessories if they don't all fit and prefer to have a professional set to hold everything in a neat and tidy format. Thanks.

Looks pretty complete. The only other thing would be a Cendense radio. I am not a fan of the I2 radio. Looks like a 2 radio setup. Not sure if you will need to use it with a camera guy. Also, since DJI dumped their promise for providing retro-Remote ID for the I2, you will likely need to think about adding a 3rd party unit in the next 6 months to satisfy the FAA.

Looks pretty complete. The only other thing would be a Cendense radio. I am not a fan of the I2 radio. Looks like a 2 radio setup. Not sure if you will need to use it with a camera guy. Also, since DJI dumped their promise for providing retro-Remote ID for the I2, you will likely need to think about adding a 3rd party unit in the next 6 months to satisfy the FAA.
Hi, could you please explain what you mean by needing to add a “3rd party unit”? Thanks.

IMHO stay away from multilink. A lot of people have had issues getting it to work. And in some cases it even crashed the DJI App. You do not need it. Simply set up a slave and master for running the camera and flying. No reason to have a bunch of controllers (w screens) working on a single heli. That said, I do not use a camera operator. I do everything with one controller. It takes some practice, but you can get some great shots. If you need to fly a certain area or route, there are features that will let you lock in your flights. On movement projects (cars, bikes, people, etc), I lock in the subject and then simply fly and let the camera follow. In many cases I depend on a VO (visual observer) to make sure I am clear of anything that I could hit. Totally critical.

IMHO stay away from multilink. A lot of people have had issues getting it to work. And in some cases it even crashed the DJI App. You do not need it. Simply set up a slave and master for running the camera and flying. No reason to have a bunch of controllers (w screens) working on a single heli. That said, I do not use a camera operator. I do everything with one controller. It takes some practice, but you can get some great shots. If you need to fly a certain area or route, there are features that will let you lock in your flights. On movement projects (cars, bikes, people, etc), I lock in the subject and then simply fly and let the camera follow. In many cases I depend on a VO (visual observer) to make sure I am clear of anything that I could hit. Totally critical.
Thanks for the heads up! Do you have any recommendations for filters to buy for the x7 camera with 16 mm lens? Also, I know goggles (for virtual reality) are optional, but do you have any recommendations for goggles for my setup? In addition, I also saw there are various parachute systems for the inspire 2, do you think those are necessary? And also, I noticed some people use the propeller guards (to protect the propellers if they scratch against a wall or something) - do you think propeller guards are something that would be useful to have?

In summary what is your recommendation for getting the following (add ons):
1. x7 camera filters (which ones should I get if any - is it the 46 mm polar pro filters - I see they usually come in a pack of 6 - Neutral Density ND8, ND16, ND32 Polarized CP, ND8PL, ND16PL)
2. parachute system (Nexus i2 Recovery System vs IFC-48-SUL Parachute)
3. Goggles (DJI FPV Goggles V2 - is this compatible with the inspire 2? How important is it to have this)
4. Propeller Guards (not sure if these are very useful or just nice to have but not really used)
5. 24 mm, 35 mm and 50 mm lenses (how important is it to have those additional lenses)
6. DJI Inspire 2 or Inspire 1 Lighting or GoPro Style Camera Mount Kit (not sure how important having lighting on the drone is - like at night so its more visible?)
7. Calibration Plate (I see this in the kits but my kit doesn't have it - is this a must have?)
8. MicroSSD (my kit doesn't seem to come with that either only the cineast cards and reader - do we need the microSSD and reader?)

Thanks so much for all the help you've given me so far :D

Last edited:
If this is your first drone I would highly recommend having an experienced pilot teach you, or you spend a few more dollars and get something to practice on.... like a DJI Mini or similar with prop guards. Not to discourage you, but one mistake on the Inspire and it will be in pieces.

Totally concur with Cactus Jack. The I2 flies well, but there is a lot going on. I have flown for many years and am guilty of forgetting how it would feel to start out. The smaller DJI helicopters are a lot less problem to learn with. You have really got to stay ahead of the craft and a wrong decision can cause damage to others and likely turn your aircraft into a pile of rubble. One hard landing can end up with some internal damage that requires a trip to the DJI hospital to sort it out - EVEN if it looks OK. My 2 bits.....

Reactions: CoreySnipes
Wow. I did not know that. Thanks for the tips! I would only want to fly it once to make sure that everything is in working order as advertised by the sale I closed. Could I ascertain full functionality by just turning the drone on (maybe having it hover a foot above the ground in the backyard) without flying it to ensure connectivity, propellers spinning etc without having to do a full flight? I definitely don't want to damage it as this package doesn't have any warranty and I paid thousands of dollars for it. Are there any tips (I'll do my own research of course) on piloting mistakes to avoid? (like do and do nots). Good looking out guys, Thanks!

PS. Also the back of the x7 camera shows a little bit of scuffing. Wondering how that could come about since it's in the back. Usually how does that happen in your experiences? Does it mean the seller crashed this drone before? He had mentioned that the camera has scuffs on the back (showed me the pictures and it looks a little scuffed) but that it was fully serviced a year ago (please see attachment)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 7.16.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 7.16.51 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
First make sure you have the correct controller (aka master). Set up in an area with no foliage or trees to deal with. Check your settings and make sure all the safety settings are set. Set it up for auto land. Make sure all the collision sensors are on. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN GPS MODE. Arm the motors (the wrong controller will not work). Take off and hover about 3-4' off the ground. The nice thing about DJI UASs is that if you get into trouble you can release the sticks and it will/should hover in place (IF in GPS mode). And you can then land it. The best thing would be to watch a YouTube video on learning to fly:

Not sure about the camera. I have the x5s and zero scratches. Makes me nervous to hear 'fully serviced'. That could mean a crash. The bottomline is simply 'does it work?'. Need to test it out. Carefully examine the images (still and video) for any weird effects. You will likely only see those on the computer or in post production (editing).

Good luck friend.....

First make sure you have the correct controller (aka master). Set up in an area with no foliage or trees to deal with. Check your settings and make sure all the safety settings are set. Set it up for auto land. Make sure all the collision sensors are on. MAKE SURE YOU ARE IN GPS MODE. Arm the motors (the wrong controller will not work). Take off and hover about 3-4' off the ground. The nice thing about DJI UASs is that if you get into trouble you can release the sticks and it will/should hover in place (IF in GPS mode). And you can then land it. The best thing would be to watch a YouTube video on learning to fly:

Not sure about the camera. I have the x5s and zero scratches. Makes me nervous to hear 'fully serviced'. That could mean a crash. The bottomline is simply 'does it work?'. Need to test it out. Carefully examine the images (still and video) for any weird effects. You will likely only see those on the computer or in post production (editing).

Good luck friend.....
Regarding the zenmuse x7 camera, the seller's exact words are "The X7 camera has scuffs on the back of the unit but was fully serviced in April 2022 and is fully functional. Firmware is up to date as of June 2023"

His further answers regarding my questions about the package and including the x7 camera were as follows:

1. How many cycles approximately are on the 8 batteries? Varies. Two sets are 25 cycles, one set is 54, one set is 44
2. Is the only thing missing to make this package fully functional the crystal sky monitor wb37 battery and charger? I actually do include the charger, just not the batteries. Otherwise no it is fully functional.
3. Date of manufacture of the drone? Hard to answer this I'm not sure. Roughly two years old.
4. It was mentioned that the x7 camera has scuffs on the back, could I see a picture? Are the scuffs only cosmetic? And if so are they very obvious? Attached are photos. Purely cosmetic.
5. It’s mentioned that 1 hub is missing 1 out of 4 travel covers - can that be replaced? (What does that mean?) Attached a photo
6. Other than the charging hub missing 1 cover, scuffs on the back of the x7 camera, and missing batter/charger for crystal sky monitor, is there anything else that I should know that could lead to conflict in this purchase? No
7. Is everything in perfect working order? Yes
8. Any other cosmetic imperfections - scratches, scuffs, cracks, tears, blemishes, or anything else that wasn’t mentioned in the ad? No

So to summarize it looks like based off the seller's answers that the camera scuffs are purely cosmetic, the whole kit is in perfect working order, and there are no other cosmetic imperfections other than the back of the camera and missing charging hub travel cover. Seller seems trustworthy from my read and has 100% positive feedback as a seller but some of the positive feedbacks did mention the item came not as described on 2 occasions out of a total of around 80 completed sales.

In hindsight, I probably should have asked for video or stills of the x7. The package is already en route and paid for though so, I hope everything is okay.

Based off all the above, how do you personally feel about the integrity of the kit and the camera?

Thanks for everything man. You are a gem!

You will be able to view the battery charge cycles on the screen when you have it on. DJI still sells the wb37 batteries and charger. Buy 2-3 batteries. They are cheap. I have 5 and always have them charged and ready to replace when on a project. I am not a stickler for scratches AS LONG AS IT WORKS. Be VERY careful of the landing legs. The antennas are inside them. They break, you are in big trouble. Stay away from precipitation (snow or rain). I do not care about wind or low temp. High temps can be an issue. Review the specs.

If this is your first drone I would highly recommend having an experienced pilot teach you, or you spend a few more dollars and get something to practice on.... like a DJI Mini or similar with prop guards. Not to discourage you, but one mistake on the Inspire and it will be in pieces.
This. It is way too easy to make a small mistake and you will be heartbroken if your Inspire crashes. Trust me, I know. Watching an S900 crash into a fence at mach eleventy five because you lost control and had no clue what to do as an inexperienced pilot really sucks. If money is no object get an Avata with the RC2 to learn with.

Mike

Reactions: S White
This. It is way too easy to make a small mistake and you will be heartbroken if your Inspire crashes. Trust me, I know. Watching an S900 crash into a fence at mach eleventy five because you lost control and had no clue what to do as an inexperienced pilot really sucks. If money is no object get an Avata with the RC2 to learn with.

Mike
Money is definitely a huge problem for me at the moment. I want to do everything to protect my investment. I think if I crashed my inspire 2 I might lose my mind. As such I would like to approach testing in the most economical but cautious method possible, knowing I only have 30 days after delivery to file a complaint to Ebay if the item is damaged or not as described. I think the seller is a stand up individual, but again anything could happen so I want to be prepared for worst case scenario since this is a lot of money on the line.

Money is definitely a huge problem for me at the moment. I want to do everything to protect my investment. I think if I crashed my inspire 2 I might lose my mind. As such I would like to approach testing in the most economical but cautious method possible, knowing I only have 30 days after delivery to file a complaint to Ebay if the item is damaged or not as described. I think the seller is a stand up individual, but again anything could happen so I want to be prepared for worst case scenario since this is a lot of money on the line.
Where are you? Maybe someone nearby could help.

Concur with Slozukimc. The problem you face is if you crash it, it can be difficult to prove whether it was the bird or pilot error. Outside of a simulator, the best way to learn is with a cheaper DJI unit. The control features of the smaller DJI birds (ie Mini 2 SE) are similar and could end of saving you the heartache of a crash. .5 lbs v. 8 lbs is a big deal. Flying needs to be natural reactions, NOT memory. And one nice thing is it is $300 Black Friday sale now. You could sell the slave controller to help pay for it maybe. My 2 bits....

Hello everyone! I recently bought an inspire 2 kit This is everything the package contains.

1.1 DJI Inspire 2 drone
2. Prores and CinemaDNG license
3. 8 TB50 batteries
4. 2 charging hubs
5. 1 wall charger
6. 2 car chargers
7. Zenmuse X7 camera w/ case
8. 16mm DL mount DJI lens w/ 4 hole case
9. CrystalSky Ultra 7.85 in
10. Polarpro CrystalSky cover
11. 2 remote controls
12. 2 tablet RC mounts
13. 1 CrystalSky RC mount
14. 1 SSD reader
15. 1x240GB SSD + 1x480GB SSD
16. GPS Module Camera port cap, X7 cap, extra lens cap
17. Balancing ring
18. 7 propellor pairs, 2 high altitude propellor pairs
19. Inspire 2 hard foam case

I am brand new to drone flying and taking videos. This package is en route to me as we speak. Is there anything this package is missing that I need to purchase in addition to what is shown in the pictures? If so, I would like to purchase them now so they arrive around the same time as this kit so I have full functionality of all features. Also, the package says it comes with both cinema and apple pro res licenses. How do I check to see if the drone actually has the licenses installed? Thanks for reading.
I HIGHLY recommend you cut your teeth on a cheap drone in an open field. The controls for the small, cheap drones are exactly the same as the controls for your expensive drone. I would NOT launch that expensive drone until you are fully comfortable flying a drone in ATTI mode on a windy day.

D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElwoodLope