Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I am still shaking saved FLY OFF

^same thing I was gonna ask. I think my instinct would be to throw the switch into atti.

Small amount of play in the arms, one of the first things I did when I bought it was check that while it was flying close to me and it did not have that issue that you see on that video. However I have the new prop set up on it but It was flying fine for the first 8 min or so, the video shows the last minute or so but it was in the air performing very well until the point where you see the gimble lock up and head into that direction. Then at the end it started to operate normal.
Did you do a compass calibration and/or IMU calibration at that location? What were your mod values from your per flight check?

No switch to ATTI, in the first part of the video it was coming back to my right very fast and losing altitude ( If I flipped that switch it would have been in the dirt, or trees hard), I think the camera was maybe less than a foot off the ground before I decided to put it in the air and sling shot it up and behind me to clear a path for it. I thought by doing that it would give me more seconds to evaluate the situation (Yes it was a gamble but I won this hand) which it did, the video shows that after the spin. I did a IMU calibration from a very level surface at home before I left and always do a compass calibration before each flight. The screen flashed red and said (abnormal) something very fast after this started 8-10 min of the flight. I think the clue here is how the camera and gimble were acting, the gimble locked into position every time the issue presented itself. What sensors does the gimble share with the inspire 1 and that is where you may find the problem. I have had it drop out of GPS to ATTI before and this was not that, my question is that this is less than a month old, instead of messing around with DJI fixing it I should just go after a replacement and let it sit in the box until the firmware update? I feel there may be two problems in my case I dont want to take the chance the firmware update will fix this issue.

No switch to ATTI, in the first part of the video it was coming back to my right very fast and losing altitude ( If I flipped that switch it would have been in the dirt, or trees hard), I think the camera was maybe less than a foot off the ground before I decided to put it in the air and sling shot it up and behind me to clear a path for it. I thought by doing that it would give me more seconds to evaluate the situation (Yes it was a gamble but I won this hand) which it did, the video shows that after the spin. I did a IMU calibration from a very level surface at home before I left and always do a compass calibration before each flight. The screen flashed red and said (abnormal) something very fast after this started 8-10 min of the flight. I think the clue here is how the camera and gimble were acting, the gimble locked into position every time the issue presented itself. What sensors does the gimble share with the inspire 1 and that is where you may find the problem. I have had it drop out of GPS to ATTI before and this was not that, my question is that this is less than a month old, instead of messing around with DJI fixing it I should just go after a replacement and let it sit in the box until the firmware update? I feel there may be two problems in my case I dont want to take the chance the firmware update will fix this issue.
More and more I see problems.from flyers who calibrate their compass before every flight.
In my opinion it is totally unnecessary and only adds to the chances of a bad calibration. It was never required with the Phantoms or the Naza's, Wookong, A2's etc so I do not believe it is needed with the Inspire.
The last compass calibration I did was after the .17 update.
I do believe what you suffered was an abnormal compass error which is probably what you saw flash up on the app.
If that was the case you would have suffered exactly the symptoms you did.
I think probably you had a bad calibration at your flying site and that's what caused it.
Do you recollect what your compass mod values were prior to take off?

More and more I see problems.from flyers who calibrate their compass before every flight.
In my opinion it is totally unnecessary and only adds to the chances of a bad calibration. It was never required with the Phantoms or the Naza's, Wookong, A2's etc so I do not believe it is needed with the Inspire.
I do believe what you suffered was an abnormal compass error which is probably what you saw flash up on the app.
I think probably you had a bad calibration at your flying site and that's what caused it.
If I remember correctly it was in the 1400s at flight time, I agree I have been doing the calibration before each flight and never had to do it on my phantom 2. My question is though does the gimble utilize the Inspire 1s compass data? I am wondering would a compass issue lock up the gimble like it did?

If I remember correctly it was in the 1400s at flight time, I agree I have been doing the calibration before each flight and never had to do it on my phantom 2. My question is though does the gimble utilize the Inspire 1s compass data? I am wondering would a compass issue lock up the gimble like it did?
Short answer.......yes it would.
The new firmware which will be released very soon has addressed the frequent compass problems and the associated gimbal twitch which accompanies the compass issue.

Reactions: lrh111
Short answer.......yes it would.
The new firmware which will be released very soon has addressed the frequent compass problems and the associated gimbal twitch which accompanies the compass issue.
The more I think about it I think you are right, when I turned (Scooter, it earned that name) on today it gave me a compass warning so that may well be the issue here, however I will be grounding it until that update is released due to the risk right now is not worth the reward. Its no fun white knuckling it every time you fly always thinking not if but when this will happen and where the unit will be near when popping out of GPS.

I called the "Tech support" (Call center they don't know sh*t). I got the same answer "Send it in" Next time i have a question for DJI im just going to call my Discover credit card company's call service number at least they are more pleasant (Awesome sauce) to talk to and probably know just as much as the people at DJI call center lol.

The more I think about it I think you are right, when I turned (Scooter, it earned that name) on today it gave me a compass warning so that may well be the issue here, however I will be grounding it until that update is released due to the risk right now is not worth the reward. Its no fun white knuckling it every time you fly always thinking not if but when this will happen and where the unit will be near when popping out of GPS.

I called the "Tech support" (Call center they don't know sh*t). I got the same answer "Send it in" Next time i have a question for DJI im just going to call my Discover credit card company's call service number at least they are more pleasant (Awesome sauce) to talk to and probably know just as much as the people at DJI call center lol.
Yup....... Does this look familiar?

Think that's exactly what you suffered.

Yup....... Does this look familiar?

Think that's exactly what you suffered.
That looks like the problem to me, Android does not have record keeping of faults on their app? Could be very useful if they did. Now is that issue what they are working to fix? Or is this a situational based on where you are at?

That looks like the problem to me, Android does not have record keeping of faults on their app? Could be very useful if they did. Now is that issue what they are working to fix? Or is this a situational based on where you are at?
If you have the Nvidia you already have native screen recording or you can download any screen capture app form android.
Yes, the new FW addresses an 'over zealous' abnormal compass data reading and associated gimbal flick.
There are a lot of users waiting on this next release!

My Inspire 1 destroyed itself on the 5th day I had it due to a firmware bug. I have around 200 flights on my Phantom 2 and continue to fly it since the loss of the I1, with no issues whatsoever.

With the I1, I took off from a parking lot surrounded by cliffs about 500' above a beach. I flew down over the side of the cliff toward the beach and the I1 lost communication. Instead of rising to the preset altitude (it was about 100' below take off altitude at that time), it just rotated toward the takeoff point and flew at full speed into the cliffs 100' below me. Both arms broken, wiring harness ripped out, gimbal destroyed, pretty mangled all around. Luckily I was able to climb up the cliffs from the beach and grab the pieces which I sent into DJI. They've had it now for 2 weeks with no response or update from them.

thats interesting, I wonder if the firmware doesnt react to a negative altitude? maybe its something as simple as the altitude in the homing routing not being negative or positive and instead just a number, in that case it would have a difference of 100ft and maybe it thought it was already good.

I am so glad you saved it! Great job!!

I had a very similar issue happen to me with my Phantom. What we noticed was that we were pretty close to a power transformer, and it appears that what happened was the electromagnetic interference caused the compass to freak out, so GPS tried to compensate. The lights all turned solid red, and then it just took off all crazy. I wound up losing sight of the Phantom, so I just cut the power by shoving both sticks down and in, and let it drop out of the sky. It was headed toward a busy road, and I just did not want it to get into traffic. Wound up breaking a landing skid, and damaging the camera. My normal reaction would have been to pump in altitude, but I completely lost sight of it behind a building, and it just seemed safer to put it on the ground as quickly as possible. That is a horrible feeling. I avoid power transformers like the plague now..lol

thats interesting, I wonder if the firmware doesnt react to a negative altitude?
No, that's not it. There was a post in another thread that said DJI changed the firmware for v16 and v17 -- if it receives any vertical stick input during the ascent phase of the RTH, it will cancel the ascent phase, but continue with the horizontal portion(!) This is the stupidest design ever. Obviously, when I think I've lost control of the aircraft, I'm going to wiggle the sticks around to see if it's responding. This is likely what happened to my aircraft: it got some vertical input, stopped its ascent, and proceeded to fly horizontally into the cliffs.

Word is that DJI has reverted this change for firmware v18 (yet to be released). I have yet to learn if they will cover this under warranty or not.

Anyone now where is the compass located in the inspire 1? I was to see if i can make a mechanical adjustment for a true North direction like i had done on my DJI F45o and F550 birds.

Thank you in advance!

Steve

Anyone now where is the compass located in the inspire 1? I was to see if i can make a mechanical adjustment for a true North direction like i had done on my DJI F45o and F550 birds.

Thank you in advance!

Steve
Up under it's skull (same as Phantom).
I wouldn't worry...... New firmware will be out shortly after 10th. ;)

I also believe that this can be the issue.Never had any problems ,but last week I went away from my frequently used area(roughly 80 miles).Allthough my app shows no need for compass calibration,I did the "dance".And for the first time my Inspire lost GPS and went into ATTI.
So next time I will only calibrate if my app says "calibrate".
Also I will warn all pilots to be carefull with electric controlled tower cranes.I saw 1 in the background if the video.As I work with these things I know from experience that these things have very powerfull transmitters and they do disturb the Inspire tx

My compass values are will under the 1600... I also noticed that the new IOS app samples the sensors faster to display on the IOS app.. and it also noticed that we lost channels. At one time i used channel 32 for the video, now the max is 25.

Sucks!

Reactions: Auspete

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide