I got my 333!

Congrats! It is great to see people put in the work to become commercial ready. I hope this earns you priority status in the engagements you seek.

I would love to have the ability to get one. Yet, being a diabetic - I would never be able to achieve a 333 based on current requirements.

Thanks,
Mike

I submitted mine on 7-23-2015 and have not seen mine posted yet, we are a day apart. I read a petitioner that was was just posted to the comment phase today submitted his July 1, 2015. So it could be a couple more weeks.

What? There aren't any health requirements and sections related to the exemption request. At least not to my knowledge. As long as you can demonstrate you can fly the drone safely then its not going to be any issue. There was not one place in my whole exemption request that asked about my current health situation.

At the very beginning - it said:

"a licensed pilot"

Further:

See #4 - "a pilot with an FAA airman certificate"

A Pilot's License requires a health screening. As a Diabetic, I cannot obtain a pilot's license. There are a few diabetics out there who have (I have type 1) - but it is difficult and only a rare few have it. Do not be mistaken - if you don't have a Pilot's License - then you shouldn't / can't have a 333.

Do you have an FAA 8400-3?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

Read this https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/sport_pilot/media/LSPBrochure.pdf a Sport Pilots License only requires a drivers license from the state you live in. Unless you know that you will not be able to operate a sport aircraft. This might be getting into a grey area.

Interesting. They changed the verbiage on the Sport. Here is straight from their FAQ:

Based on these conditions to fly my Inspire 1 - my doctor would pass me!

I need to go back and do some more reading on this now. Around 7 months ago, there was a thread on RCGroups about this topic and the Medical component came up for the 333 / Sports license. The verbiage was different back then as I recall it, for everyone in the discussion topic was pretty set that a diabetic could not obtain a 333.

Thanks for the update.

Mike

You will get your notification via mail. Then register an N number through the OKC office (this is a frustrating process).

Your letter will take about a week or so. The N number is a PIA because nobody does it!, therefore making it an endless circle of paperwork madness!!!

You will get your notification via mail. Then register an N number through the OKC office (this is a frustrating process).
Not frustrating at all. Fill out like this and it will go through every time.

Attachments

• Form Example-2.pdf
    120.3 KB · Views: 21
I have one more set of paperwork to send in.. For now, I am operating on my pink sheet 8050-1 form. ... I think it is taking so long and requiring so much redundant paperwork is because this is new to them, and everyone else.

Hey Capt., this looks different , (but similar) to the one I sent in. Then I got another letter requesting motor serial numbers, thrust, etc. to be notorized by the seller, and it's country of origin, blah,blah. What's the form number on this one, and who notorized it?

That is 8050-88 and it is what we were told to use by our FAA guy. We have filled it in just like that for all of our aircraft and not had a single issue. A standard notary motorized ours, in this case, my bank.

TC's are a ways away but they are coming under the broader 107 regs which will do away with the pilot license requirements and have a new 'UAS Operator' license. I liken it to my holding a Master Unlimited nautical license but I am going to be told I need a Jet Ski license as well.

Reactions: Highrpm955