Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I got my 333!

I recently petitioned for a 333 Exemption. I was pleased to read that you do not have to have a 3rd class medical, which is great for me. I do not fly full size aircraft any longer but still have my PPL, and have not had a 3rd class medical in years. I took this quote from a couple of approved 333's. Please correct me if I am reading this wrong.

" 13. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."

Last edited:
I thought yiu have that already? So once they grant you, how long do have to wait for the the registration numbers?
That's a good question, and Im working on it now. Seems you have to fill out additional FAA paperwork which would include your standard info on a registration request form (form ac 8050-1), a SIGNED IN INK buyers order with proof of purchase of the AC,which should be notorized as well, (affidavit of ownership form 8050-55), serial number, , and $5.00 registration fee to the FAA.

Reactions: m_flight
I recently petitioned for a 333 Exemption. I was pleased to read that you do not have to have a 3rd class medical, which is great for me. I do not fly full size aircraft any longer but still have my PPL, and have not had a 3rd class medical in years. I took this quote from a couple of approved 333's. Please correct me if I am reading this wrong.

" 13. Under this grant of exemption, a PIC must hold either an airline transport, commercial, private, recreational, or sport pilot certificate. The PIC must also hold a current FAA airman medical certificate or a valid U.S. driver’s license issued by a state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, a territory, a possession, or the Federal government. The PIC must also meet the flight review requirements specified in 14 CFR § 61.56 in an aircraft in which the PIC is rated on his or her pilot certificate."
You are correct.

That's a good question, and Im working on it now. Seems you have to fill out additional FAA paperwork which would include your standard info on a registration request form (form ac 8050-1), a SIGNED IN INK buyers order with proof of purchase of the AC,which should be notorized as well, (affidavit of ownership form 8050-55), serial number, , and $5.00 registration fee to the FAA.
Please keep me/us posted and thanks for sharing your success. Babysteps....

Reactions: Highrpm955
Hi HIghRpm!
So once you've submitted your exemption requests, how does it take for them to review it and post it on to regulations.gov for people to comment? Thanks again!
It takes a couple of weeks for it to post. Then as people comment, it may take up to 5 days for comments to post.

Reactions: m_flight

when they changed the requiments from a private license to a sports pilot license they dropped the medical requirements, remember sports pilots don't have to have a medical

Speaking of that letter.... It just showed up in the mail.
Very interesting! I guess I have been un educated about this too long. So, I currently have my LLC, Costello Insurance, the gear and I have been on the fence for the FAA to lower the Pilot license portion. I did not realize the sport license (or even knew it existed) was good enough. I am assuming the required course is for airplane?
Looks like I am on board with this and have to eat some crow for my ignorance. Good job!
Now I finally feel like a commercial business is right around the corner.
Next step is drafting the 333, currently I am petitioning to do a flight demonstration for a bring your kids to work type event on a military base (lots of fun red tape). Interesting deal is what they need from me is a lot of what the FAA requires. Fate is real.
Thanks for posting your success story and keep us posted!

I am a private pilot, but am familiar with the sport pilots license, it limits you to a smaller/lower horsepower plane than the regular private ticket. You will have to learn to fly, spend time in a place with instructor and without, but you don't have to have a medical with a sport pilots license,,its not quick or cheap, but quicker and cheaper than a 'regular' private pilots license, the number of flight hours is reduced for sports pilots

Requirements are minimum 15 hours flight time with instructor, 5 hours solo,,but I can tell you, most of the time you will have more hours than that before you take your flight test,,you do have to know how to fly (more importantly how to land)

I am a private pilot, but am familiar with the sport pilots license, it limits you to a smaller/lower horsepower plane than the regular private ticket. You will have to learn to fly, spend time in a place with instructor and without, but you don't have to have a medical with a sport pilots license,,its not quick or cheap, but quicker and cheaper than a 'regular' private pilots license, the number of flight hours is reduced for sports pilots

Requirements are minimum 15 hours flight time with instructor, 5 hours solo,,but I can tell you, most of the time you will have more hours than that before you take your flight test,,you do have to know how to fly (more importantly how to land)

Well ****. I was under the impression that it is simply a knowledge test and medical eligibility. So the cost is still up there to even get the sports license to legally use our 333.

It is a pilots license, just a license that is easier/less costly to get than a 'regular' private license, yes a sports pilots license still requires you to know how to fly an airplane

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669