Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I had my first crash...

Reaction score
Welcome everyone, last night I had my first unscheduled landing with my inspire1. I was working with our swat team to locate a subject barricaded in his house and accidentally caught a tree branch, which whipped the I1 into the tree about 30' up. I was able to recover the drone with a ladder and it visually looks great with the exception of the rotor blades!

My question is, what should I be checking on the drone before flying again to ensure everything is functional? Does anyone have some recommended procedures or checklists to ensure it is working 100% before the next flight?

Reactions: slim.slamma
i would check for any debris in the actual motor. simple hand spin each one and see if there is any odd noise or drag feel, also look at the carbon arms and joints for any stress cracks, and check the small wires that a brance didnt damage them. otherwise should be good to go after replacing the blade

Does anyone have some recommended procedures or checklists to ensure it is working 100% before the next flight?
Whatever props look damaged I would be sure to also replace the motors.
They may seem ok now but could evolve into a problem later

Whatever props look damaged I would be sure to also replace the motors.
They may seem ok now but could evolve into a problem later

All four blades were pretty toasted, and I remember seeing some motor over current alarms prior to shutting it down. Thank you both for the recommendations, all put 4 new motors on my list to be replaced.

All four blades were pretty toasted, and I remember seeing some motor over current alarms prior to shutting it down. Thank you both for the recommendations, all put 4 new motors on my list to be replaced.
im not sure the motor replacement really needed but deff good time to upgrade to the V2 motors if not already on the bird. and what props are you running? i have some 1345 S style im trying to sell for a good price

Reactions: Stryker
Remove the motor by taking out the four (two each side) just below the motor.
Then (carefully) remove the e-clip and thrust washer. The motor will now come apart.

@steve42 With the motors coming to a forced stop the washers could’ve been slightly damaged and could now cause friction.
You probably could get away with just removing the washers. No need to replace, some inspire 1 have these washers, some don’t.
https://inspirepilots.com/attachments/image-jpg.2655/
If you start to hear a whistle coming from a motor the washer is definitely shot.

Great suggestions! Make sure whatever repairs you perform once you finish the damage assessment are properly documented and of course the preflight, 1st flight after the repairs! Airworthiness...standpoint!

Nothing beats test flights. Blow everything out with compressed air and then go to a park and do some low-speed, low-altitude test flights. Of course, be cognizant of app warnings, etc.

I would I would not replace the motors. Check the Drone out good, put some new props on, and hover it low to the ground why you check out the flight characteristics. I did the same thing once. Replace the props and put another hundred hours on the bird before I crashed it good

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry