Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I need waypoints with "ramp down speed"

Reaction score
I have been using waypoints on a film job. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes not.

Example of perfectly: fly low over the water approaching this house, gradually rising, then fly over it. We used waypoints + spotlight to keep the camera focused on the house, then disabled spotlight when we got close. Worked great.

Example of not: fly low over the water approaching that house, gradually rising, then come to a halt, revealing the wedding reception going on in the yard. I tried waypoints mode, but it flew at the proscribed speed (12 MPH) to the final waypoint, then slammed on the brakes. This did not look cinematic, and given the lack of time to experiment, we ended up flying this one manually.

I understand that the speed of travel in waypoint mode can be adjusted as flying. But it would be really great if there were an option to ramp down the speed gradually between the penultimate and ultimate waypoints.

How do you fly missions like this? Manually? Or is there something I am missing?

I have been using waypoints on a film job. Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes not.

Example of perfectly: fly low over the water approaching this house, gradually rising, then fly over it. We used waypoints + spotlight to keep the camera focused on the house, then disabled spotlight when we got close. Worked great.

Example of not: fly low over the water approaching that house, gradually rising, then come to a halt, revealing the wedding reception going on in the yard. I tried waypoints mode, but it flew at the proscribed speed (12 MPH) to the final waypoint, then slammed on the brakes. This did not look cinematic, and given the lack of time to experiment, we ended up flying this one manually.

I understand that the speed of travel in waypoint mode can be adjusted as flying. But it would be really great if there were an option to ramp down the speed gradually between the penultimate and ultimate waypoints.

How do you fly missions like this? Manually? Or is there something I am missing?

This can be done in Autopilot and I would assume Litchi as well. Have you given either a try?

If your trying to use DJI way points or their ground station software they are crude and ugly for cinematic motion control

You have to move to hanger autopilot which is complex but really powerful. Litchi is pretty simple and decently powerful.

Give those a try if you can

Reactions: Advexure
I have not dared to try any third-party apps.

And now that I have moved to CrystalSky, I believe that I can't.

I have not dared to try any third-party apps.

And now that I have moved to CrystalSky, I believe that I can't.

I saw a thread floating around the other day that said you can in some sort of official way install litchi at least. I didn’t read it carefully as I didn’t have a crystal sky but I am pretty sure the thread was talking about how you could load and run it.

Maybe someone else read it and could comment better. For me when crystal aky supports at least litchi is when I will get one. Ground station is very weak and it too apparently doesn’t even work on crystal sky!

Leave it to DJI to not even have their own software work on their display.

You have to move to hanger autopilot which is complex but really powerful. Litchi is pretty simple and decently powerful.

We have always preferred Autopilot over Litchi but that's mainly because we all started in and learned Autopilot in detail before Litchi really came to be. FWIW, Autopilot is also only iOS.

I saw a thread floating around the other day that said you can in some sort of official way install litchi at least. I didn’t read it carefully as I didn’t have a crystal sky but I am pretty sure the thread was talking about how you could load and run it.

Maybe someone else read it and could comment better. For me when crystal aky supports at least litchi is when I will get one. Ground station is very weak and it too apparently doesn’t even work on crystal sky!

Leave it to DJI to not even have their own software work on their display.

That is correct that Litchi is now officially supported on CS. There is a nice thread on the DJI forum here and then also Litchi explains how to install on their site here.

We all wish DJI could improve on their native waypoints mode in GO4 but at the end of the day they have created an SDK for a reason. That is to allow for greater customization and time to be invested that they I would assume have trouble spending when they're focusing on putting hardware into the field for so many different industry sectors that operate differently and have varying flight automation needs. That being said, all SDK devs wish they could interface with the CS but unfortunately it's been quite difficult for most (at least from what we've heard from software partners).

DJI Pilot should soon be integrating a robust flight planning/automation which will be native to CS.

Reactions: Drone_Video
That's the Thread! thanks for finding it! I look forward to seeing what DJI Pilot will be capable of, hopefully impressive and feature reach.

Always manual for the win!! Otherwise you spend a lot of time programming way points, experimenting, tweaking etc...

Learn to fly manually and it will set you free. Show up, fly, go home. Time is money.

Always manual for the win!! Otherwise you spend a lot of time programming way points, experimenting, tweaking etc...

Would definitely agree...have had missions that we decided to program and hours later when all that time spent was already a sunk cost we were kicking ourselves for not just flying by hand from the start.

Reactions: Drone_Video
I don't do any commercial work. but I still only program flights for when there is an explicate need for that. For example, when I want a single shot with more complex motion path. I don't use the map to make my flight plan either. Just position the drone and record the position so I can see what to expect with the exact camera angles positions etc. I will then edit the point of interest and tweak the curved flight path to smooth it out. Even then, I am still selective of when I use it. But, for me this is about flying for fun, and I'm wasting time no matter the reason - more about learning than anything else. I would echo Advexure comments that if your a good pilot, just fly it yourself unless there is a real reason why you need a programed course. (like doing the same flight every month or week for a building project update etc).

So far, my preference has been to fly manually for cinematic work. A simple point of interest is boring if the object is always in the centre of frame. Flying manually lets me change the frame as I go. Have used spotlight pro a couple of times, when manoeuvring around a moving object, but that’s all. I have a second controller, but have yet to need a camera operator. Cendence and practice can get a lot of great shots.

Reactions: Cruncher
Just to comment on the crystal sky and custom dji sdk apps. We develop custom apps for the cs specifically because the android device is approved and sold by DJI. We assume that DJI tests their sdk on the cs to minimize errors and general complications with using disparate android devices.
Since the cs does not include google play we distribute the app via a private website. The other option is using the Amazon app store for distribution.
To date we have not developed a waypoint mission with a slow down/easing the drone when it comes to a waypoint like @InterMurph originally posted. I suppose it is doable but we have not looked into it much.

Learn to fly manually and it will set you free. Show up, fly, go home. Time is money.
Yes! In our business (national car commercials) the director has no time for us to be setting waypoints. And, when the director says, "Cross over" or "Now chase him!" of "Crane up and out" we'd be screwed. The best thing to do is to take the time to get proficient. My camera op and I practice a lot even though I've been flying R/C for 40 years. It's different and takes practice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanneStoc