Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I would like to see a Pro forum. And what about the rules?

So now I threw a tantrum! LMFAO
I am not the only one who read the original post and interpreted as I did. I read most all the posts on this forum and if you have and don't see the (better than you) sentiment from the majority of the commercial "pro" pilots then you are either blind or a "pro" yourself!
I understand the need for the subforum. I'm not against that. What I am against is the commercial pilots wanting to separate themselves from the hobbyists who got them to where they are now! There are many posts on this forum from the pros wanting regulations,certification,licensing for the hobbyist. Are they still considered a hobbyist if they have to have the same credentials as a pro?
Instead of the hobbyist and pros having the same interest it is now getting to the point that the hobbyist is considered a threat by the pros because of a small amount of idiots flying where they shouldnt!
I hate where this separation is going and when I see or read about it I will voice my opinion of it. So from my point of view my comments are not "uncalled for".

Sorry for being so frank....
I might get seriously bashed for this (hmm)

I was just wondering, shouldn't it be a decent forum community behaviour to discourage people from braking the law or flying unsafe?

I can't find any rules about this in the community guidelines.

And could it be possible to have a new forum specifically for commercial pilots (or people seriously thinking about becoming one)? More and more forum members here are (upcoming) pro's.

We have a different kind of discussion (often) among pro's and right now I see things get messed up. My perspective is first and foremost from professional use and I get mixed up in discussions with people just flying for fun, which is absolutely fine but it often leads to endless discussion about what's legal and safe or not.
I just have a hard time un or dis mixing, that's all.

At least if there was a pro forum people can expect to get the obvious answers if they ask us how they can fly higher, further or without no fly zone restrictions. And they would probably let us (not trying to be elite or anything) in peace, without the need to debate over operational procedures no amateur would ever want to follow.

Any thoughts? It's open for a fair debate. Please let's keep this clean. :)
I suppose, thinking about the 50' rule, from building not owned or under the control of the pilot, roadways, bridges, persons. Not within certain distances from airports dependent on category, not over nuclear power stations or military bases or prisons or any other security facility, not over seats of government etc. or in fact any place that might get you a visit from stern faced men in suits or uniforms. Having said this, I spent an interesting couple of days flying every approach path to a BAA Airport in the UK in a Cessna King Air a few years ago testing cameras that would image the approach lights and runway lights to check which had either failed or were on their way out - sagging filaments etc. It was cheaper and more cost effective than requiring a lighting tech to climb a ladder for each lighting pole. I tested one of the early Kodak Digital cameras but the resolution was way, way below what we have with the Inspire 1 and since a runway light took up an entire pixel it was impossible to tell whether it was R, G or B - or C or Y or M! So, food for thought you entrepreneurs. But I digress, there should be an agreed set of rules and I'd say at ICAO level (they're nice people, I've worked with them) to establish safe and responsible flight, just as there are with the fixed wing model enthusiasts. I'm quite happy to assume that I have a 500' limited airspace over my property, I lose sight of the aircraft at that point anyway, it's just that darn float plane that regularly disturbs my afternoons not to mention the Bald Eagle or two - Turkey Buzzards couldn't care less!

So now I threw a tantrum! LMFAO
I am not the only one who read the original post and interpreted as I did. I read most all the posts on this forum and if you have and don't see the (better than you) sentiment from the majority of the commercial "pro" pilots then you are either blind or a "pro" yourself!
I understand the need for the subforum. I'm not against that. What I am against is the commercial pilots wanting to separate themselves from the hobbyists who got them to where they are now! There are many posts on this forum from the pros wanting regulations,certification,licensing for the hobbyist. Are they still considered a hobbyist if they have to have the same credentials as a pro?
Instead of the hobbyist and pros having the same interest it is now getting to the point that the hobbyist is considered a threat by the pros because of a small amount of idiots flying where they shouldnt!
I hate where this separation is going and when I see or read about it I will voice my opinion of it. So from my point of view my comments are not "uncalled for".
Apologies, a tantrum was a bit strong. I do value your stance even though I don't fully agree with it. There may be some certified operators who carry a 'better than you' air. However not all are like that. Not so long ago most certified operators were not certified and many seem to have forgotten where they have come from.

The difference in doing it commercially puts additional modes of operation on pilots. Those differences is the reason I am for a separate forum. It's not about elitism but different needs arising from how they must do things. I thought my analogies helped explain were I am coming from. It's differences rather than looking down on non certified pilots in my opinion.

I have come across a few a obnoxious commercial certified pilots as I also have come across quite a few non-certified ones too.

Those who are certified do not have the same 'interest' as "hobbyists" the certified ones are in it as a business and yes, to make money. That drives the differences and the need for certified operators compliance.

Good to talk it out though, apologies again @ibeflyin

Reactions: The Editor
Apologies, a tantrum was a bit strong. I do value your stance even though I don't fully agree with it. There may be some certified operators who carry a 'better than you' air. However not all are like that. Not so long ago most certified operators were not certified and many seem to have forgotten where they have come from.

The difference in doing it commercially puts additional modes of operation on pilots. Those differences is the reason I am for a separate forum. It's not about elitism but different needs arising from how they must do things. I thought my analogies helped explain were I am coming from. It's differences rather than looking down on non certified pilots in my opinion.

I have come across a few a obnoxious commercial certified pilots as I also have come across quite a few non-certified ones too.

Those who are certified do not have the same 'interest' as "hobbyists" the certified ones are in it as a business and yes, to make money. That drives the differences and the need for certified operators compliance.

Good to talk it out though, apologies again @ibeflyin
No apology necessary. :)
I am in this as a pure hobbyist and don't intend on doing it as a business because as far as I'm concerned once money becomes involved it now becomes a job rather than a relaxing and fun way to view this wonderous world of ours.
As you say the professionals are trying to make money at what I consider a very fun and enjoyable hobby. Now that money is involved anything or anyone that might hinder thier income is considered a threat to thier business and this is when things become cutthroat. I don't like how we have become separated to the point a hobbyist is considered a threat to what has been pioneered by hobbyists. Who could have ever imagined that a fellow rc pilot would want thier governments involved in when, where,how high,how far away we can fly and then even make negative reports to the FAA and CAA hoping for regulation to help eliminate the threat and competition!
Haven't we all learned by now if you want something really screwed up get the government involved!! :)
My personal opinion is that this separation is not a good thing for anyone and I will continue this point of view. I apologise for ruffling too many feathers and especially apologise for MISINTERPRETING lake flyers words.

OK, after discussions between the moderators, it was decided there was merit in having a dedicated area for 'Professional/Qualified/Commercial UAV operators and the new section can be found here.....
http://www.inspirepilots.com/forums/certified-uav-pilots.16/
Just wondering if this section would be a place to post things about professional/commercial video, still and editing subjects or would it be better suited for a different section? I haven't seen much talk about those subject. The inspire shoots great video for the money and with the ability to shoot stills in RAW format it opens up a lot of possibilities. It would be nice to be able to discuss these things with people who not only fly their cameras but are also well versed in the use of video and photo editing software. Looking at forums for that subject matter does help, I know but some in those forums look at the Inspire not as a means to an end but as a toy used by wannabees.

Figured I'd post it here and not in the new section as I deem it better placed here. Anyway kudos on the new section, I read through it and your opens sticky could not have been worded better.

Just wondering if this section would be a place to post things about professional/commercial video, still and editing subjects or would it be better suited for a different section? I haven't seen much talk about those subject. The inspire shoots great video for the money and with the ability to shoot stills in RAW format it opens up a lot of possibilities. It would be nice to be able to discuss these things with people who not only fly their cameras but are also well versed in the use of video and photo editing software. Looking at forums for that subject matter does help, I know but some in those forums look at the Inspire not as a means to an end but as a toy used by wannabees.

Figured I'd post it here and not in the new section as I deem it better placed here. Anyway kudos on the new section, I read through it and your opens sticky could not have been worded better.
Oh I bet there are a lot of people reading your post that "wannabee" just like you when they grow up!
Sorry I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:
Case and point! ;)

Oh I bet there are a lot of people reading your post that "wannabee" just like you when they grow up!
Case and point! ;)
actually that was aimed at myself in reference to the way I was treated when I was discussing video and stills I had captured with my I1 and was in the process of editing. Not to put to sharp a point on it but I was instructed to take my toy and find out how to edit better on YouTube, as I guess I wasn't flying Redeye around.

But thanks for the dig, I figured being the rational person I am and that this was the place the whole new section was being discussed, this was the better place to ask the question and not the new section. As far as being a wannabee, maybe I wannabee richer or younger again, but wannabee anything else well maybe I wannabee understood

actually that was aimed at myself in reference to the way I was treated when I was discussing video and stills I had captured with my I1 and was in the process of editing. Not to put to sharp a point on it but I was instructed to take my toy and find out how to edit better on YouTube, as I guess I wasn't flying Redeye around.
Yea well I'm making some pretty stupid comments myself. Sorry....I'll shut up now!! :)

Case and point! ;)

And an FYI to anyone that wants to be just like me when they grow up, "set your goals higher"

There is the photos and video subform, just not sure if you saw it. Although it seems to be mostly people's videos it might be worth starting a topic there and see what response you get.

I know over in the equivalent sub forum at Phantompilots.com there was lots of folk with great knowledge so there might be some here too.

Reactions: Azsweetwater
Ironically this post was started over an argument in another thread where the op thought using atti mode is unsafe, then thinks he's a pro and now it's spiralled out of control, lmfao

Reactions: Chnjab
Ironically this post was started over an argument in another thread where the op thought using atti mode is unsafe, then thinks he's a pro and now it's spiralled out of control, lmfao
My comment was after quoting the moderator, it was more of a question posed to those interested in the commercial section and figured it better posted here than cluttering up the new section with stupid threads that shouldn't be in the commercial section anyway. Not the least bit (out of control)(taken out of context, my apologies to SultanGris) to think that. I didn't think anyone would miss the fact that I was using logic to dictate where I posted said question and the fact that for the most part is was meant for the moderator, my bad. But like all forums logic is rarely taken into account. While I have been a multirotor pilot of several platforms,editing is rather new. And like I said those forums that are dedicated to professional level photo editing are filled with dickheads and veiw our "entry level" 4K camera as toy better suited to YouTube, thought maybe here I could find those looking to produce better with our "toys"....again my bad

Last edited:
Op means original poster or topic starter, I was not referring to you sir.
Sir? Wow now I feel old again :) I wish more people could respond as you have, without the need to feel someone is insulting their hobby or their way of doing things. My comment was only to add clarification to my original post as pertained to your comment, I was not offended or insulted but was made clear of the fact I misunderstood your post. Thank you for your intelligent use of logic

Speaking as a moderator on a professional sUAV/sRPA forum (forum.freeflysystems.com), two of the rules we put in place at the outset (about three years ago) is that everyone uses their real first and last name and the forum is searchable by Google. This appears to have had two effects: 1) the complete absence of "flame wars" between forum members, and 2) people operating illegally are treated to peer pressure either not to do it, or not to post about it.

I say "appears to have had two effects" because it is hard to separate coincidence from causality.
This is a good idea.

I monitor and participate in a high performance experimental aircraft forum. There, first and last names, as well as locations are posted on the left. As a result, no barbs are passed in threads. Everyone is respective of each other whether new or not, 'professional' or not, 'commercial' or not. Having locations of participants posted helps answer a lot of potential writing style language barrier issues to other readers. As a result, not many posts are misinterpreted by readers. Whether there is a separate commercial/pro/whatever section or not in this forum, real names and locations would be a benefit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azsweetwater

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions