Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

i1 vs i1 v2?

Reaction score
Looking at purchasing an inspire. At this point in the inspire's should I hold out for a v2? Just wanting to use this to learn drones and shooting pics and video. Seems to me I should wait for a good deal on a v2 being the better motors and upgraded camera mount. Is the carbon fiber stronger on the v2? Any advise is appreciated.
thanks
Jeff

I have an I1, I1v2, and an I2. The answer not a simple one, but I'll start with the I1's. Oh, this is my opinion and mine only. After fooling around with Phantoms, including P4 ProV2, I went back to my photography roots and decided that a fixed focus camera, while fun, not my cup of tea and the fun of flying a drone waned. I wanted a 'real camera' with settings, focus, and all of the controls of a good SLR. I went with the I1 (not V2), X5R, and was perfectly satisfied. I saw a deal on an I1V2.0 and an X3zoom and picked that up. I moved the X3zoom to the I1, and put the X5R on the I1v2 for no real reason other than I felt the V2 must be better, ir'a V2 Ha. Truth is, I actually cannot tell the difference and should you get a good deal on an I1, (I had mine for sale, took it off as it's not worth much and it's much more valuable to me. Notice I kept the I2 out of the picture, as that's another story.
You made a comment about 'learning' and I'm presuming that you meant drones and not video and stills and that at least you have the basics of videography and photography in your arsenal of knowledge.
Feel free to message me, if I can help I will. You will find many answers to your questions, but if I were where you are now I'd start with an I1, X3 or X3 zoom. The prices for used are excellent and don't see much, if any difference with the I1V2.
John

Thanks for the advise. I have seen cameras that are listed as z3. Are those the zoom version? I have been flying rc planes and helicopters for years and have a 3dr x8 drone that doesnt have a camera that I have been playing with a bit using pixhawk controller and mission planner software. Just wanting to take things to higher level and learn photography, editing and all. Just something to stay busy with and keep my mind working. Seems like the deals on this site are the best that I have found. My knowledge and ability are far below then the x5 camera I would think.
thanks
Jeff

The Z3 is the zoom version of the X3. I apologize in advance and no intent to embarrass, but are you a fairly skilled photographer? That is, do you understand lighting, ISO, depth-of-field, priority shooting, histogramss, bokeh, etc. If these are alien to you, may I recommend you start wtih a minimal investment with a Phantom 3, or Phantom4. You will find good values, safer to fly than an Inspire 1 which offers little collision avoidance, etc. Plus Inspire 1 a tougher drone to learn on than the excellent flying Phantom 4 (not V2.0). And, you will still have opporunity to learn the photography/videography with stunning captures on the Phantom 4.

Reactions: Greg’s gems
No apology needed. I havent messed with the different settings that you mentioned. seems that the pricing isnt all that different, maybe a couple hundred. Is the inspire more difficult to fly? with my rc background I wouldnt think that I would have any issues with it. Might just see if I can find a good deal on a i1 and not worry too much about finding a v2 like you mentioned.
thanks
Jeff

I1 V2 have different motors so to be able to keep it's performance with the heavier x5r camera. V2 is also with extended legs to fit the bigger x5 camera underneath.

Personally I would try to find the V2. Definitely get the Z3 camera with the zoom. You can find these for good prices anymore. If you already have experience flying airplanes you should have no problem with the inspire. Very easy to fly does it have all the obstacles sensors no. Personally I don’t see the sense in them if you know what you’re doing. The inspire is definitely a well-built aircraft well worth owning. Makes all the other ones look like a toy. They are quite stable in windy conditions. First time you fly one you will know you made the right decision they are a pleasure to fly.

Last edited:
Personally I would try to find the V2. Definitely get the Z3 camera with the zoom. You can find these for good prices anymore. If you already have experience flying airplanes you should have no problem with the inspire. Very easy to fly does it have all the obstacles sensors no. Personally I don’t see the sense in them if you know what you’re doing. The inspire is definitely a well-built aircraft well worth owning. Makes all the other ones look like a toy. They are quite stable in windy conditions. First time you fly one you will know you made the right decision they are a pleasure to fly.
While a bit more enthusiastic on the v2 vs v1 it’s indeed a brute of a drone and doesn’t look like a toy. Btw before I got the v2 I flew v1 with x5r no issues. But, even starting off with v1.and x3 a worthy drone and likely can recover much of his investment should the I2 start grating in the back of his head lol

Hey guys is there a difference between the v2 and pro? I’ve seen both listed. Been watching on eBay for one and it is amazing how many i1 are pictured and listed as v2 but don’t have the x5 camera mount and the different carbon fiber arms.
Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engko