Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 x4s gimbal rocking while RTH

Reaction score
Hi, Every time we execute Return to Home the I2 ascends to the correct height and start flying back - all great - but during the horizontal flight path back the video,including recording starts rocking left to right - ie jumping as if pivoted in the centre, at about 1Hz - when it starts descending all is fine again. Its not normally usable video but quite annoying as it must be some type of gimbal malfunction which could jump out at another time as well? Has anybody come across this and what to do??

Hi, Every time we execute Return to Home the I2 ascends to the correct height and start flying back - all great - but during the horizontal flight path back the video,including recording starts rocking left to right - ie jumping as if pivoted in the centre, at about 1Hz - when it starts descending all is fine again. Its not normally usable video but quite annoying as it must be some type of gimbal malfunction which could jump out at another time as well? Has anybody come across this and what to do??

Welcome to the group! Does it rock back and forth at any other time besides RTH. If still recording most people hand fly it home.

HI Florida, As you say most people hand-fly home, myself included. But in the occasion of lost signal and some other times being distracted (when perhaps firefighting or so) then flying home on RTH is acceptable. I have never noticed it rocking like that at any other time. It is only noticed (very gross unmissable rocking) during horizontal RTH flight, not during RTH hovering or RTH ascending or landing at all. When viewing on laptop pic rocks easily 1/2 inch up and down on both sides.

HI Florida, As you say most people hand-fly home, myself included. But in the occasion of lost signal and some other times being distracted (when perhaps firefighting or so) then flying home on RTH is acceptable. I have never noticed it rocking like that at any other time. It is only noticed (very gross unmissable rocking) during horizontal RTH flight, not during RTH hovering or RTH ascending or landing at all. When viewing on laptop pic rocks easily 1/2 inch up and down on both sides.

That is the first I have heard of this, is the X4S your only camera? I wonder if it happens with an X5S? I will try it on my next flight.

Reactions: waldivz
X5s Camera acts strangely as well on activating the return to home. I reported this to DJI. No issues with normal flight. This occurred after the last firmware upgrade.

Reactions: waldivz
Thanks Lesmess, and yep Florida it is the only camera we have currently for the I2 unfortunately.
It does seem to come from the control side as it is not a random shaking but a repeated very similar pattern every time, so the fact that the X5s does similar strange things also shows it can come from the craft and not the camera. Once DJI comes back would you please enlighten us about it or should I also open a case?

Not trying to be a smart Alec or hijack the thread and not withstanding the fact that there is a problem, as you report, but out of curiosity what situation you inniciate the RTH in and why so often (as you start with every time....)? I've been flying drones for 5 years and I am yet to use it. I remember trying it ones when needing to demonstrate to the CASA inspector during flight test when getting my licence that it actually works. And that was years ago with my hexa and Naza M V2.

Last edited:
completely off topic but every time meant twice - once automatic when signal was lost completely (my fault, not necessary to be discussed) and could not get it back, saw the jitters on the video afterwards because it was still recording, and another time when I tested it to check recurrence of the problem - satisfied?

completely off topic but every time meant twice - once automatic when signal was lost completely (my fault, not necessary to be discussed) and could not get it back, saw the jitters on the video afterwards because it was still recording, and another time when I tested it to check recurrence of the problem - satisfied?
FWIW I was not seeking any satisfaction. By you saying “every time” you implied that you were using the RTH function very often which was surprising to me therefore I asked the question. No harm intended and hope none done.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido