Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

IMU and Gimbal Calibration

Reaction score
I was fed up with the gimbal horizon issue so I decided to calibrate the IMU and gimbal on a dead level surface but I couldn't find a dead level surface in my own house! So I sat down then stood up and sat again whilst racking my brain on what would be the best way to do this!
SO! I chose the kitchen floor and then I began adding paper under the legs until all four sides were dead level. I used a large tradie spirit level on each side to get the levels right. Once I was happy with that, I first calibrated the IMU and then the gimbal. Then I took her out for a spin and low and behold she was solid as a rock!
Please see attached photos.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 180
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 163
Yea I have the same problem with my horizon, it's always uneven and really annoying, even after doin the imu and gimbal calibration on my concrete bedroom floor, I'll try it your way and hopefully it works for me also

Really frustrating I know !

We had an eclipse here in the UK yesterday. The time for maximum shadow was 0933 hrs. I had it all planned, start engines 0920 take off 0925 climb to 400' and video the shadow darkening our garden.
So at 0920 I go to start the motors and NOTHING except that **** message that says I need to get the quad on a level surface. By the time I'd got the motors running and ready for take off I'd missed the 0933 deadline ....aaaaaaargh !!

Hey anyone figure this out? Even when I adjust the gimbal roll it rolls about two clicks in the right direction, then back to being super off center. Always needs to roll more right.

Hey anyone figure this out? Even when I adjust the gimbal roll it rolls about two clicks in the right direction, then back to being super off center. Always needs to roll more right.
I think it has to do with your calibration, after you do the on level surface and the dance calibration and its still off then do it again. make sure you are power cycling it after each calibration and outside away from any cars or concrete slabs with rebar.

If that a Rosenwald Copter as your profile pic?

Your method of leveling should work most of the time --- but remember it's the IMU itself that has to be level during a calibration.

Nobody ever said the IMU is perfectly oriented to the legs and motors.

Yesterday I calibrated the IMU and gimbal as SirNiklas did, and it works out great! Tested it and took some pictures with it.
Nicely horizontal horizon and the bird hangs steady in the air!

Thanks for your tips of how to calibrate!

I was fed up with the gimbal horizon issue so I decided to calibrate the IMU and gimbal on a dead level surface but I couldn't find a dead level surface in my own house! So I sat down then stood up and sat again whilst racking my brain on what would be the best way to do this!
SO! I chose the kitchen floor and then I began adding paper under the legs until all four sides were dead level. I used a large tradie spirit level on each side to get the levels right. Once I was happy with that, I first calibrated the IMU and then the gimbal. Then I took her out for a spin and low and behold she was solid as a rock!

This is exactly what I did, but mine still has some camera leveling issues...!

Reactions: Tim Stewart
I would be led to believe that the IMU calibration is good if you are not getting dift while in a hover

On my hand held 3 axis Alexmos gimbal the actual IMU itself has to be level during cal. as it's oriented in 6 directions. Not the gimbal, but the mico-sized IMU itself. If it's not oriented properly during cal., the horizon will be off. So it's a little bit of a pain for that device.

Does the I1 IMU need to be plumb level during cal., or is it self leveling and only needs to be absolutely still on a solid surface? Good question.

I am having the same issue. I can do the leveling but then how do you calibrate the IMU
First what is the IMU?

Reactions: Eye in the sky

Great thinking! :) Thank you for sharing. Will give this a try.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool