Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Increase fly-distance on CE model with FCC parts?

Reaction score
Hey guys, i bought my first drone an inspire 1 v2 here in northen Europe. To my disappointment it only went about 0.5- 0.6 miles (0.8km) before the first signs of signal loss came. That made me buy the fpvlr half helix signal booster in hopes that i would increase my distance that i could fly. The reason I bought the drone was because I wanted to go at least 4-5km to record great areas of Forrest where I live. After installing the booster i got to about 1.8 miles before the signal start to get weak. Because I live in the Forrest with nothing that could interfere with the drone I thought it was strange, because I saw videos in YouTube where people go almost twice the distance before they start to loose signal (probably because they use FCC model)

So my question is that if it is possible to buy inspire 1 antennas from an FCC model and put on my inspire to further increase the range? Or do i have to change more, like the signal output, or do I have to buy a completly new model T601 instead? My knowledge is not the greatest on radio technology but what I have read the radio/antennas on the actual drone (and maybe on the controller as well) have a higher output in dBm and mw. 30dbm instead of 20 in CE. (I know it is not legal to have over 100mw in EU but my question is only theoretical) But do anyone with a more expertise think it is any idea to change the antennas or is it just a waste of time? Like this one DJI Inspire 1 T600 Drone Part 9 Landing Gear w/ LED, TX/RX Antenna Quad Copter

Thanks in advice

Last edited:
Hey guys, i bought my first drone an inspire 1 v2 here in northen Europe. To my disappointment it only went about 0.5- 0.6 miles (0.8km) before the first signs of signal loss came. That made me buy the fpvlr half helix signal booster in hopes that i would increase my distance that i could fly. The reason I bought the drone was because I wanted to go at least 4-5km to record great areas of Forrest where I live. After installing the booster i got to about 1.8 miles before the signal start to get weak. Because I live in the Forrest with nothing that could interfere with the drone I thought it was strange, because I saw videos in YouTube where people go almost twice the distance before they start to loose signal (probably because they use FCC model)

So my question is that if it is possible to buy inspire 1 antennas from an FCC model and put on my inspire to further increase the range? Or do i have to change more, like the signal output, or do I have to buy a completly new model T601 instead? My knowledge is not the greatest on radio technology but what I have read the radio/antennas on the actual drone (and maybe on the controller as well) have a higher output in dBm and mw. 30dbm instead of 20 in CE. (I know it is not legal to have over 100mw in EU but my question is only theoretical) But do anyone with a more expertise think it is any idea to change the antennas or is it just a waste of time? Like this one DJI Inspire 1 T600 Drone Part 9 Landing Gear w/ LED, TX/RX Antenna Quad Copter

Thanks in advice
I am not sure I quite understand your question but if I am reading it correctly......
No - changing your Inspire legs/antennas to ones that come from a FCC model will have no affect whatsoever.
The Inspire simply has omnidirectional dipoles on each leg - there is no difference between regions etc.

All models are the same output is set by aircraft location, you bring your Inspire to the US and it would go into FCC, enter Europe and it's back in CE, it's all set by GPS

No way to change this.

Reality is CE can fly just as far as FCC models it's all down to local interference.

Thanks in advice
Maybe using waypoints does the trick? Not sure if there's a distance limit to waypoints, at least the Inspire1 would not be dependable of the control signal and could carry on with the mission beyond loss of link.
I would advise to install a good GPS tracker.

Signal is line of sight. If you are in a forest the trees are probably blocking the signal.

The videos you saw are probably in the clear with nothing between the controller and the aircraft.

If you can get to a higher location where you can still have line of sight with the aircraft you will probably have better range.

There are other apps available that will continue the mission even if it looses signal with the controller.

Thanks for the reply guys, sorry if my question was unclear. My english is not the greatest. Came a across some threads about the differences between the t600 t601 where it was a lot of discussion about wich bird got the most output power. A bit funny to read as well.
Back to the subject, what i really want is to improve the distance i can go with the drone. With that i want a video signal. The FPVLR mod on my remote did increased the distance but not enough in my opinion. If we leave the orginal question to the side,
the new question would be if it's possible to exchange the antenna on the bird to a better/bigger one to further increase the signal, and was anyone done that and can give some tips?

(For the record I do have tried being on a hill with nothing to interfere with the signal, only small improvement.)

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla