Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 or 2?

Reaction score
Website
www.skywardimaging.com
So I keep hearing about all the bugs with the Inspire 2 and the x5s and have a chance to get a Inspire 1 raw, 2 transmitters and 2 ssd cards and reader for around $3000. Is there added benefits to the x5s (not including the cinemaDNG or the Apple ProRes) that would justify the extra cost? I don't want to include the cinemaDNG or the apple prores because if I buy the Inspire pkg I will not be buying the pro but the bird and the x5s separately so it is only $4900.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Last edited:
No such ac as Inspire 2 Raw. Do you mean Inspire I Raw? If you are not interested in CinemaDNG or ProRes I would not go with the I2. While the X5s can technically record to SD flash media lieu of the SSD it requires very high end and expensive SD media capable of 100mb/sec and don't plan on DJI actively supporting any issues with the X5s and recording to SD since the X5S is primarily designed for SSD. While the I2 does have Intelligent flight modes and redundancy that the I1 lacks it is also new and based on past experience firmware will continue to be buggy for some time.

No doubt, Inspire 1. Much better, a lot less money, more reliable. Better looking too :) IMG_4910.JPG

I'm new to the inspire world, and don't know lots about the i1 but I bought an i2 kit primarily for the lens selection available.

I went through the sort of thinking you are going through. So I will share some thoughts.

The x5s camera will not work on the Inspire 1. Conversely the XT thermal camera will not work on the Inspire 2. The x5 camera works on the Inspire 1. Both the x5 and x5s use interchangeable MFT lenses.

You can do the spec comparison between the x5 and x5s, and conclude that the x5s is better, but I have a hunch that on the final product it is one of those differences that show up only with side by side comparisons. I have a Phantom 4 Pro which has a 20megapixel camera and an Inspire 1 x3, which is "only" 12 megapixels. I happen to think the x3 end product is better than the "better spec" P4P. In other words you might conclude that the x5 on the Inspire 1 is good enough.

The Inspire 1 is a hands down great machine. It has (among many other things) master/slave controller ability, landing gear, and independent pan on the gimbal. It doesn't have some of the super stuff that the Inspire 2 has, but that comes at a cost. The Inspire 2 has two battery ability; for the Inspire 1 you can just land and put in a new battery, or get a two battery modification available from many independent dealers.

My assessment is that for still shots, panoramas, and thermal work the Inspire 1 is all you need. For video work there are advantages to the Inspire 2.

The Inspire 1 v2 has a motor upgrade, propeller upgrade, and gimbal dampening plate upgrade, all which make it ready to add an x5 camera if you get the $5 landing gear extenders. It comes with an x3 camera, which you can repurpose to an Osmo device when you get the x5 camera. The Inspire 1v2 comes with a travel case which you may or may not use. The travel case requires removal of the camera and placing the landing gears in travel mode.

Last edited:
But a micro 4/3 camera with 20mp is better than 1 with 16mp, and there is the added safety of dual battery etc. We had an Inspire 1 Pro which i was very happy with buy have sold that and waiting for the I2 to arrive.

Well, I don't want to start any arguments, but it ain't necessarily so. Lens quality, sensor quality, antialiasing filter, post-processing, jpg vs. raw, file compression, ISO, who is the photographer, and a host of other factors are as, or more, important than resolution. In fact, a high resolution with smaller pixels may give a worse image. If you doubt this, humor me and visit my art site Galleries | robertrose.photos and my aerial business site Panoramas | Barking Deer℠ Photography and see whether you can determine which resolution was being used. Resolutions range from 12mp to 36 mp, with a few GoPro images and super res 4x5 large format film (scanned on an Epson V700) for good measure. Cameras include Nikon, Leica, Toyo, DJI and GoPro. You can even view my Flickr site Robert Rose’s albums | Flickr which has some pinhole and cellphone stuff.

As for the dual battery, sure no argument there. But just saying that if a dual battery is your desire, there is an Inspire 1 mod for that. Call Ralph for info on one example. DJI Inspire Battery Mod TB48

Last edited:
Just goes for inspire 2 ~~ You will love it... i have both inspire 1 and 2

Affordable => inspire 1...
Image Quality => Inspire 2 BIG Difference !!!

my Inspire 2 have 20min flight time untill 18% with x5s
plus the extra sensor and FPV also added future you going to love it...
dual battery ? Double protections why not ? no need to worries about suddently voltage drop... of battery faliue at mid flight ...
faster speed ... better build quality... just too many to list...

and ermmm.. honestly i think Inspire 2 are better looking... ( Very subjective question haha depend on individual )

But if you planning for using thermal cam or Z3 then just goes for inspire 1 .. :)

get both for best of both world haha

Well, I don't want to start any arguments, but it ain't necessarily so.
Dont worry about argument -I wont take it personally. Im under two minds, if it was 20mp at full size, it would be better quality without a doubt, but I dont know does the 4mp make a different in a M4/3 body. I dont have the ability to put both together to see. Does the bigger pixel size allow more light hence better quality? Im using specifically for mapping and 3d imaging, so to me in a simple calculation more px is better, therefore 20mp better than 16? Is this right? The mp battle has always been shown as more is better?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeganSugde