Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 with X5 with Panasonic 45-175mm zoom lens ?

Reaction score
Hello, I am a fresh owner of Inpire 1 v2.0 with an X5 camera. The latest firmware.
I would like to ask if the X5 in combination with the Panasonic 45-175mm lens can change the focal length using the lens motor from the DJI GO app? Because the autofocus does not work with this lens due to the latest firmware updates, I already know.

greetings

Some time ago I met information in several places that on older firmware in X5 it supported AF much better with non-dedicated lenses. Then DJI turned off this support in its own style and now you have to focus manually :( I hate them for that.

I would think the delicate balance of the gimbal would be upset by the changing geometry of the lens courtesy the moving glass. Let us know how it turns out.

D

I've done this and it requires quite a bit of balancing. Would be easier with something heavier than lead. Gold would be perfect!

After its balanced, I haven't seen any problems, the gimbal seems happy. Video is nearly impossible due to vibrations, but photos work well. The main problem is focusing properly.

Ha! Well, while the added weight is indeed significant it still pales in comparison to the overall weight of the I1. I've not noticed a difference in flying time (I'm sure there is some), but I haven't really tested.

I've done this and it requires quite a bit of balancing. Would be easier with something heavier than lead. Gold would be perfect!

After its balanced, I haven't seen any problems, the gimbal seems happy. Video is nearly impossible due to vibrations, but photos work well. The main problem is focusing properly.
thanks for the info. Platinum and Uranus are heavier than lead :) I need this set only for photos, I guess the gimbal will not keep it smooth for the movie.

The Panasonic 45-175 lens came to me and I connected it to the X5 camera. I made counterweight from lead. And now the first impressions. Unfortunately, DJI killed our drones and the possibility of proper autofocus. The change of focal length works properly. However, the correct manual focus above 100mm focal length is very difficult. At 150mm, almost impossible. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I currently test everything but it works hard. I use Focus Peaking and MF Assistant. Gimbal with this set is doing very well, does not heat up and works smoothly.

Flight on the battery ~ 50 cycles is 7-8 minutes max. I will have to make additional power from the external battery because this time is weak. That's it for now, soon some photos.

However, the correct manual focus above 100mm focal length is very difficult. At 150mm, almost impossible. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I currently test everything but it works hard. I use Focus Peaking and MF Assistant.
Yes, it is too bad AF doesn't work, manual focusing is a PITA.

Some time ago I read that older firmware versions supported the AF of similar lenses much better, those not officially supported by the system. Can anyone confirm? I am thinking about downgrading the firmware in desperation.

Yes, it is too bad AF doesn't work, manual focusing is a PITA.

I have one more question, do you also have such large image distortions on the edges of the frame + barrel distortion at higher focal lengths on Lumix 45-175 ? I think I will sell this lens because there are big problems with it and I will try another Lumix 35-100mm. Maybe the picture will be better there and autofocus will work.

I have one more question, do you also have such large image distortions on the edges of the frame + barrel distortion at higher focal lengths on Lumix 45-175 ?
I haven't used it to take pictures of a test chart, but I haven't noticed barrel or pincushion distortion.

I'm sure it does exist, I think most M43 cameras automatically correct for it. Obviously DJI didn't care too much about this particular lens. So while the camera may not correct for it, you can correct for it in post processing. I'm guessing most M43 zoom lenses would be similarly affected. My Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ for sure is. Wild distortion.

I've attached a couple uncorrected pictures from my 45-175mm lens.

Attachments

• DJI_0653.JPG
    DJI_0653.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 10
  • DJI_0654.JPG
    DJI_0654.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 10
When I write about distortion I mean this. Okay, but I already know what my first mistake was. I set the 16: 9 format as in the Mavic 2, tomorrow I will test the original 4: 3 for this matrix, maybe there is a problem here ... Thanks for the photos, I realized my mistake.

And it is very difficult to focus manually with this lens 45-175. I am currently testing the Olympus 45-150 and I made counterweights for it at 70mm and 100mm focal lengths. In this lens, the autofocus works perfectly. And in the air, with the weight of these lenses and lead counterweights, the drone flies 7-8 minutes, there is no time to play the manual AF :(
DJI_0060.jpg

And it is very difficult to focus manually with this lens 45-175. I am currently testing the Olympus 45-150
40-150 or 45-150? Which exact lens? Maybe I need one.

What aperture range? Is the max 3.5 or 4? I was thinking that the 45-175 might not AF because its f4 max.

40-150 or 45-150? Which exact lens? Maybe I need one.

What aperture range? Is the max 3.5 or 4? I was thinking that the 45-175 might not AF because its f4 max.

Olympus Zuiko 40-150 F/4-5.6 R ED Exactly this lens and here AF works on my Zenmuse X5 with the latest firmware. Unfortunately, this lens does not have the engine to change the focal length but it is very cheap and optically good. You need to make a minimum of 2 counterweights for various focal ranges. For ~ 70mm around 127g and for ~ 100m around 142g. Unfortunately, this lens when changing the focal length to a higher one is heavily extended. The exact weight of the counterweight can be given as I finish the tests.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84