Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Hover

Reaction score
Dear all,

I've read about strafing and hovering issues with the I2.

Question:The Video below shows my I2 hovering (with a X5s 15 mm DJI Lens, filmed with iPhone X) and then seen from the X5s POV doing a dolly shot in tripod mode to the left (not stabilized yet in Post). There was actually enough clearance to the trees, "Radar" did not jump in.

Inspire 2 Hover and Dolly left

Is this normal? How my I2 hovers differs a bit, 10% of the time used it hovers quite well, other times it slowly bounces around like in the sample video.

Slow dollies (in or without Tripod mode) are not stable.

I own a Mavic 2 Pro and a Phantom 4 Pro as well, and these birds hover and dolly solid as one can imagine, in the same locations and situations. It's a difference like day and night.

So I wonder, should I send my I2 send for check? Or recalibrate Compass, IMU etc before each take off?

BTW I do have drift issues with the 45 mm Oly and X5s as well, it's annoying. Spotlight helps, but is not always an option.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Christoph

PS: Great forum

When the Inspire 2 was initially released, the hovering performance was very, very good. Since then - and through many updates - we have seen a degradation in the hovering performance. You can get it better by raising your flight control gains above their default levels. Are you familiar with the location in the app to do this?

hey,

thank you.

yes I am aware were to do this.

do you maybe have a screenshot of recommended general settings there?

Yes - in general the gains are probably set at 100. I would adjust them in increments of 10 until you get to a number you like the flight characteristics. Adjusting them too much at a time can produce unexpected results. With tuning these gains, you should be able to get better flight performance from your Inspire 2. And, the way we have always done it in the past was to work on one axis at a time.

DJI has changed this over time as well. At 1 point I recall it ranging from 70 - 130. Now it looks to be 80 - 120.

IMG_0001.PNG

Reactions: Kelv
Yes - in general the gains are probably set at 100. I would adjust them in increments of 10 until you get to a number you like the flight characteristics. Adjusting them too much at a time can produce unexpected results. With tuning these gains, you should be able to get better flight performance from your Inspire 2. And, the way we have always done it in the past was to work on one axis at a time.

DJI has changed this over time as well. At 1 point I recall it ranging from 70 - 130. Now it looks to be 80 - 120.

View attachment 24264
This is not going to be much of a help because I played with the gains long time ago and do not remember exactly my test. But I remember that by increasing the gains, there was no noticeable improvement in flight characteristics and hover stability. I'd be happy to revisit this testing but after the experience from long ago I feel somehow reluctant. Look forward to read about your findings...The way I'd suggest to do it is one axis at the time. I'd go with full extreme to start the testing, say elevator to 120 and do a test flight testing that axis. Then gradually in increments of 10 start decreasing the gain until happy with the behaviour in all flying styles and external weather conditions.

Hey Christoph! Curious to know what firmware you are on. As Florida Drone Supply mentions, the I2 was locked in the beginning. I'm currently hanging on to .0100 firmware as the .0200 was a nightmare and unsure still about .0300

Was thinking about updating but if you're on .0300 and still having stability issues I'm just as well sticking with .0100

Thanks!

Hey Christoph! Curious to know what firmware you are on. As Florida Drone Supply mentions, the I2 was locked in the beginning. I'm currently hanging on to .0100 firmware as the .0200 was a nightmare and unsure still about .0300

Was thinking about updating but if you're on .0300 and still having stability issues I'm just as well sticking with .0100

Thanks!

Hi, I am on 0.300. Is yours with 0.100 better?

Interestingly I test flew a Inspire 2 a couple weeks ago and I recall it had been much more stable at hover than my current one.

But the one I tested was sold, so no info on what that firmware was.

Noooo.. not at all. Mine does what we call the DJI dance. Used to you could put it in a 10 ft hover and look away for a second. Now there's no way I'll take my eye off it. I'm not bragging but I'm a long time rc helicopter pilot and I'm used to staying on the sticks and adjusting my inputs for what the aircraft is doing. This is more than just a "need to fly better" issue. Gentle crabs left or right are VERY hard to accomplish due to it jumping up and down. You can hear the motors jumping in RPM.

I'm going to play with the gains today as has been suggested but I'm not going through the update headache if this hasn't been addressed. Really one of our specialties, close quarters proximity shots. Super hard with a machine that has somewhat a mind of own!

Reactions: vertrider1
Noooo.. not at all. Mine does what we call the DJI dance. Used to you could put it in a 10 ft hover and look away for a second. Now there's no way I'll take my eye off it. I'm not bragging but I'm a long time rc helicopter pilot and I'm used to staying on the sticks and adjusting my inputs for what the aircraft is doing. This is more than just a "need to fly better" issue. Gentle crabs left or right are VERY hard to accomplish due to it jumping up and down. You can hear the motors jumping in RPM.

I'm going to play with the gains today as has been suggested but I'm not going through the update headache if this hasn't been addressed. Really one of our specialties, close quarters proximity shots. Super hard with a machine that has somewhat a mind of own!

I filmed such scenarios a couple times today and slow sideway crawls are next to impossible. the I2 bounces up and down, how in the hell could you stabilize such stuff in post (and I've done a lot of stabilization for some of our other sports videos). especially with longer lenses like 35, 50 with the X7 or the X5s and similar mm, this "dance" is a bit much.

been in a tight timeframe lately due to projects in the pipeline, but will give it a thorough re-calibration of everything very soon, so if that makes some use I will post it here. thanks for the testing from your side with gains etc and thanks as well to Florida Drone Supply for being such a regular Helper here on the forum.

Cheers
Christoph

Reactions: jim cook
Florida Drone Supply is a huge asset to this community.. my thanks as well to them! Yes please let us know how you make out and I'll report back on my findings.

So today I played with gains. I got the expected response of raising gyro gains. The wobbles just got tighter. Definitely not the answer in my situation.

Reactions: marctronixx
My stock I2 with the X5S (latest firmware) does the same irritating "DJI dance" and I recently was very dissappointed with hover footage I shot which was so bad it was unuseable. I'll also try the gain settings but DJI really needs to fix this issue.

I have the same problems with the I2. TBH I've thought about getting rid of it. I keep it because I can change lenses, it works well in the cold and better in the wind, and I can use two controllers. But in a lot of cases I get better video with my Mavic Pro Plat

Also somewhat disappointed by the unstable performance of my I2. I do a lot of slow medium shots tracking across house facades - these shots can get very bumpy.

It definitely helps to keep the nose facing into the wind and turning the camera to face the house.

Does anyone know if changing to the more expensive props helps stabilize the flight?

Also somewhat disappointed by the unstable performance of my I2. I do a lot of slow medium shots tracking across house facades - these shots can get very bumpy.

It definitely helps to keep the nose facing into the wind and turning the camera to face the house.

Does anyone know if changing to the more expensive props helps stabilize the flight?
Changing to this kit here from Italy improved hovering for me a bit:

Ultimadrone Inspire2 Safety Solution by Atellani

I ordered both the Safety Fix kit as well as the Propeller Kit. Propellers are now a snug fit and don't wobble anymore.

Cheers

it is not perfect yet and probably will never be. but smaller "micro" moves inside the bigger hover which I'd relate to the propeller wobble, have improved. it does still dance around at times, but much less erratically or so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeatriceFo