Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 hovering stability syndrome ...

Reaction score
OK, it's known issue with some (not all) batches of Inspire 2. It happen after one particular FW version installation and affected many professionals. But when? Who remember? I can only assume it was 3 versions back, causing apparently irreversible (?) "liver" damage. My bird was born after and is behaving fine with FW .0100...

Last edited:
Do we know which I2’s that are affected and not? Just bought a I2 with manufacturing date December 2017. I cant tell if I got the hovering issue yet cause I haven’t been in the air because of to much wind these days.
Im on the 1.2.0100 firmware and I don’t dare to upgrade to .0200..

Do we know which I2’s that are affected and not? Just bought a I2 with manufacturing date December 2017. I cant tell if I got the hovering issue yet cause I haven’t been in the air because of to much wind these days.
Im on the 1.2.0100 firmware and I don’t dare to upgrade to .0200..
No, unfortunately. I'm not even sure if my theory is correct. Anyway, your's must be a second hand Inspire, I assume, since 01.02.0100 was introduced in April. Well, keep your bird on this FW and pray for flawless performance than.

Last edited:
It wasn’t delivered with .0100 [emoji16]. I upgraded to .0100. It’s not secondhand.

No, unfortunately. I'm not even sure if my theory is correct. Anyway, your's must bee a second hand Inspire, I assume, since 01.02.0100 was introduced in April. Well, keep your bird on this FW and pray for flawless performance than.

this one was manufactured Feb 6th, 2018 and was loaded with 01.0010 which is from 26/06/2017. The next FW release was 5 months later , 13/11/2017, well before this I2's manufacture date.

It wasn’t delivered with .0100 [emoji16]. I upgraded to .0100. It’s not secondhand.
Oh, I see ... I believe that this **** hovering dance start appearing sometime around November 2017. Bottom line is that if your bird is hovering steady - wind or not - than she's apparently immune to this disease and OK. 0200 supposedly solved this in general, introducing a plethora of other issues in exchange. As for now you can't do much more than overall testing. Good luck!

As I have already noticed, there is no way to retrieve any iformation from S/N number, so we can only compare software, not hardware. But hardware may be different from part to part of production.

I will tell you why. The main differences in hardware may be in simple components used to build a PCB. For example my ESC. There are three resistors with resistance of 2 mOhms. Small part. Doesn't matter!? No it does!!!

All resistors have a parameter called tolerance from 0,5% to 3%. Not much! But when you consider Ohm's law there will be differences in current values. U=I*R. This tolerance means, the resistor may be from 1,99 - 2,01 mOhms with 0,5% to 1,94 to 2,06 mOhms with 3% The differences are small. Lets calculate U. For example let's take a TB50 battery. 22.8 V and 4280mAh (max current 4280mA in an hour). Let's start the motor with max current. U=4,28A*0,00194Ohms=8,3mV and U=4,28A*0,00206Ohms=8,8mV. This is a voltage drop on resistor with tolerance of +/-3% . In percentage there is 6% difference in voltage. Much more than tolerance of the "worst" and "best" resistor.
With this current works ESC. For example the main flight controler wants the motor to rotate with 4000rpm but it doesn't. It rotates 6% faster or slower than it should or the main controler expects.
In the attachment there is my new ESC manufactured on 7/2018. You can see the difference in resistors - white strip - different producer?! What tolerance, I don't know!
We've got hundreds of small electronic elements - resistors, capacitors, etc., are affecting on how I2 works.
The hope is that this small "bad" elements do not have any effect on how I2 flights, but I do not think so...
For example Mfr. No: LVT08R0020HER - This is a resistor of 2mOhms with tolerance H = 3%!!! Letter D=0.5% F=1% G = 2%. And this is obvious better tolerance higher price!

PS
I'm not an electronics engineer, wondering now if i should public this post at all ;-)
And I do not know what the current is on ESC, but my calculations are supposed to serve only to illustrate differences in SMD elements :)

IMG_1704.JPG

As I have already noticed, there is no way to retrieve any iformation from S/N number, so we can only compare software, not hardware. But hardware may be different from part to part of production.

I will tell you why. The main differences in hardware may be in simple components used to build a PCB. For example my ESC. There are three resistors with resistance of 2 mOhms. Small part. Doesn't matter!? No it does!!!

All resistors have a parameter called tolerance from 0,5% to 3%. Not much! But when you consider Ohm's law there will be differences in current values. U=I*R. This tolerance means, the resistor may be from 1,99 - 2,01 mOhms with 0,5% to 1,94 to 2,06 mOhms with 3% The differences are small. Lets calculate U. For example let's take a TB50 battery. 22.8 V and 4280mAh (max current 4280mA in an hour). Let's start the motor with max current. U=4,28A*0,00194Ohms=8,3mV and U=4,28A*0,00206Ohms=8,8mV. This is a voltage drop on resistor with tolerance of +/-3% . In percentage there is 6% difference in voltage. Much more than tolerance of the "worst" and "best" resistor.
With this current works ESC. For example the main flight controler wants the motor to rotate with 4000rpm but it doesn't. It rotates 6% faster or slower than it should or the main controler expects.
In the attachment there is my new ESC manufactured on 7/2018. You can see the difference in resistors - white strip - different producer?! What tolerance, I don't know!
We've got hundreds of small electronic elements - resistors, capacitors, etc., are affecting on how I2 works.
The hope is that this small "bad" elements do not have any effect on how I2 flights, but I do not think so...
For example Mfr. No: LVT08R0020HER - This is a resistor of 2mOhms with tolerance H = 3%!!! Letter D=0.5% F=1% G = 2%. And this is obvious better tolerance higher price!

PS
I'm not an electronics engineer, wondering now if i should public this post at all ;-)
And I do not know what the current is on ESC, but my calculations are supposed to serve only to illustrate differences in SMD elements :)

View attachment 22060
Speculating further in the spirit of healthy discussion ... Naturally there must be a complex performance testing procedure involved for all electronic subsystems like the one you mention above, at every manufacturing and assembly stage, automated or manual. Without it our birds will be falling like rotten apples. Personally I'm amazed by the reliability of these fine machines.

In this case the situation - I believe - is similar to extremely rare cases in automotive industry, where particular production batches were equipped with vital part of substandard quality or performance. Or just wrong kind of. Barometric sensor? GPS module? Compass sensor? I don't know. Is it possible to improve the performance of misbehaving components via firmware without affecting the performance of entire system or performance of other, healthy, perfectly fine specimens of Inspire 2? I don't know either. A re-call? Certainly the issue is difficult to solve, taking the amount of time required to do so into consideration ...

PS

View attachment 22060
Won’t have any effect since the motors are driven with PWM varying the duty cycle and the back emf gives the FC exact rotational speed information irrespective of tolerance difference in individual components within the esc’s.
If one (or more) esc’s were slightly less efficient then the flight controller would simply adjust the square wave timing to that particular corner(s) to achieve the required rpm.

Won’t have any effect since the motors are driven with PWM varying the duty cycle and the back emf gives the FC exact rotational speed information irrespective of tolerance difference in individual components within the esc’s.
If one (or more) esc’s were slightly less efficient then the flight controller would simply adjust the square wave timing to that particular corner(s) to achieve the required rpm.
True. Bridion used ESC board as an example to illustrate the variables FC must to deal with during flight. We are just speculating about possible reasons for hovering instability of some Inspire 2 specimens, introduced long time ago after particular FW version.

Speculating further in the spirit of healthy discussion ...
Won’t have any effect since the motors are driven with PWM varying the duty cycle and the back emf gives the FC exact rotational speed information irrespective of tolerance difference in individual components within the esc’s...
You are absolutely right!
I've made a small reverse engineering on Texas Instruments in ESC subject ;)
Just for information, our ESC module should be build like DRV8301 BoosterPack! but at smaller scale.

The main three elements are:

TMS320F28027F Piccolo™ 32-bit MCU with 60 MHz, 64 KB Flash, InstaSPIN-FOC
DRV8301 (ACTIVE) 3-Phase Brushless Motor Pre-Driver with Dual Current Sense Amps and Buck Converter (PWM Ctrl w/ SPI)
CSD18510Q5B 40V N-Channel NexFET™ Power MOSFET - should be, but is PSMN1R4-40YLD made by nexperia

Properly designed should works perfectly!

I guess DJI knows why some Inspire 2 have/had problem with stable flight and this is not a software problem, I suppose.
They just wanted to repair it by correcting software. This MCU in ESC is programmable so they can play with such elements by software, writing functions and conditions... in other parts of the craft too.

drv8301-hc-c2-kit_blah.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wild2Game