Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Landing Gear Middle Frame Part 19

Reaction score
Website
www.precisionaerialsllc.com
Hi,

So I was flying on a colder day roughly 30-33 degree F, and my landing gear locked in the upward position mid flight, resulting in hand catching my inspire. The gear is now stuck and even being in a warm house for a month it still is not remedied. I am going to be pulling out the assembly to see if I an find the issue and order a new component (sad I am doing this under warranty, shows how little I trust DJI Support). Was curious if anyone else has done this? Anything I should be looking for? Hoping I can find the servo type and just replace it with a more rugged unit.

Regards,
Dustin

Hi,

So I was flying on a colder day roughly 30-33 degree F, and my landing gear locked in the upward position mid flight, resulting in hand catching my inspire. The gear is now stuck and even being in a warm house for a month it still is not remedied. I am going to be pulling out the assembly to see if I an find the issue and order a new component (sad I am doing this under warranty, shows how little I trust DJI Support). Was curious if anyone else has done this? Anything I should be looking for? Hoping I can find the servo type and just replace it with a more rugged unit.

Regards,
Dustin

I replaced mine a couple months ago, not for a problem but for preventative maintenance. It was fairly easy and I am willing to help you if needed. It might be difficult to find a better more robust motor/servo. Have you tried to move the landing gear manually with the supplied landing gear motor screwdriver?

I have moved it with the screw driver with no luck. I was hoping it was just seized.

And if I can find a similar servo I hope I can. Otherwise I will just purchase a replacement unit. Likely will purchase a spare just to carry around incase this happens again.

I have moved it with the screw driver with no luck. I was hoping it was just seized.

And if I can find a similar servo I hope I can. Otherwise I will just purchase a replacement unit. Likely will purchase a spare just to carry around incase this happens again.

It is not a very quick process to change the middle frame, it is not something you just do in the field. There can be other issues that may be causing this. I would move the gear to the landing position and do a firmware refresh in the Assistant 2.

I2.jpg

It is not a very quick process to change the middle frame, it is not something you just do in the field. There can be other issues that may be causing this. I would move the gear to the landing position and do a firmware refresh in the Assistant 2.

View attachment 17330

I wouldn't look do this in the field rather back at a hotel room or office. But I may give that a go.

Yeah my servo end stop sensor went bad , it is becoming more and more common .
I posted on this about a month ago here :

Landing Gear Won't Pack Up

The swap isn't too bad just go slow, there is an oring in the gps cover that is tricky to line up perfectly without a little bit of oring grease when you are done. Takes about two hours and is worth the money over a warranty repair . Part 19 from advexure is what you need. Don't use Philips drivers, only Japanese .

Yeah my servo end stop sensor went bad , it is becoming more and more common .
I posted on this about a month ago here :

Landing Gear Won't Pack Up

The swap isn't too bad just go slow, there is an oring in the gps cover that is tricky to line up perfectly without a little bit of oring grease when you are done. Takes about two hours and is worth the money over a warranty repair . Part 19 from advexure is what you need. Don't use Philips drivers, only Japanese .
Very interesting! Can you please point out where the limit switch is? My servo doesn't even power up. The app says raising/lowering, then landing gear reset. all within two pop up windows in a second or two. I wonder if this is the issue. I had my landing gear engage a probably over 175 times in 2 weeks so I wonder if I finally just wore the switch out.

Regards,
Dustin

Hey Dustin
The limit sensor is in the capsule that says watch your fingers. Getting in there won't do anything, and it is not designed to be opened after assembly. There is a bunch of grease and tiny gears that Are almost impossible to realign after opening. I opened mine up cause I was curious and checked the boards and There is nothing you can do other than replace the entire middle assembly. The parts are too small to do anything .
The error I got was ,landing gear won't pack up. The motor itself still works if I would assist the landing gear by turning the screw at the same time as hitting the up down switch, but once the screw was at the end of the track you could hear the motor continuing to try and turn the screw for about 5 seconds and then it would likely over current and shut off. I would double check that your not just stuck at the end of your travel. Mine would get pretty jammed and I had to torque a bit to manually raise/lower. Once you get it loose try rebooting everything and try again.

It is possible that your motor went out and not just the sensor. I would feel pretty comfortable in saying part 19 will fix your issue if it persists. You could also pay advexure to do the swap in a day or two if you aren't comfortable. I did it myself because I had some tight dates with jobs and couldn't waste any days in shipping to/from conus.

Reactions: Advexure
Hey Dustin
It is possible that your motor went out and not just the sensor. I would feel pretty comfortable in saying part 19 will fix your issue if it persists. You could also pay advexure to do the swap in a day or two if you aren't comfortable. I did it myself because I had some tight dates with jobs and couldn't waste any days in shipping to/from conus.

Thank you for the mention, @austinlarson. Yes, it is something we can do. All of our techs in house are DJI Certified.

We have had a number of operators with gobs of flight time on their Inspire 2s choose to send their aircrafts in or drop off with our techs for a maintenance overhaul and replacing the Middle Frame is one of the components that gets replaced in this procedure. For specific questions on repair services please email our team at [email protected]. Safe flying!

Hey Dustin
The limit sensor is in the capsule that says watch your fingers. Getting in there won't do anything, and it is not designed to be opened after assembly. There is a bunch of grease and tiny gears that Are almost impossible to realign after opening. I opened mine up cause I was curious and checked the boards and There is nothing you can do other than replace the entire middle assembly. The parts are too small to do anything .
The error I got was ,landing gear won't pack up. The motor itself still works if I would assist the landing gear by turning the screw at the same time as hitting the up down switch, but once the screw was at the end of the track you could hear the motor continuing to try and turn the screw for about 5 seconds and then it would likely over current and shut off. I would double check that your not just stuck at the end of your travel. Mine would get pretty jammed and I had to torque a bit to manually raise/lower. Once you get it loose try rebooting everything and try again.

I am mainly looking to see if I can remove the whole servo assembly and find the limit switch board to remount with an aftermarket servo.

I appreciate the recommendation for advexure to do the replacement, but I am very capable to replace the unit, just want to do some tinkering with it before I throw in the towel. Ordering a new middle frame section for a backup currently.

Were you able to get it fixed? Wow this is a typical service issue for Advexure to have learned and anticipated? Must make the X7 guys really concerned when it comes time have to deal with this issue while in flight. Another reason to have a VO or assistant along with you.

Anyone know if the I1 had a similar issue?

Yup ended up installing a whole new part 19. I even disassembled the motor and gear reduction. Couldn't find an issue with the motor driver or anything.

Really bites. I recommend having a spare on hand as it's unpredictable when it will crap out and seems to be no remedy.

Yup ended up installing a whole new part 19. I even disassembled the motor and gear reduction. Couldn't find an issue with the motor driver or anything.

Really bites. I recommend having a spare on hand as it's unpredictable when it will crap out and seems to be no remedy.

Hi Fickert, I need to replace the inspire 2 middle frame, but i dont know how to take the bad part 19, can you help me, I need to know how I can remove the middle frame.

Thank you

Hi Fickert, I need to replace the inspire 2 middle frame, but i dont know how to take the bad part 19, can you help me, I need to know how I can remove the middle frame.

Thank you

Hi Pablo,

Its kinda pain and a very tedious process. It can be done in an hour or two but you need to be careful. I did not use any tutorial or anything as there is nothing out there. Pretty much if you can get the main body off of the leg assemblies then you will be good to go.

If you are not familiar with disassembling the i2 or not comfortable I do advise taking it to a dealer that can repair it.

If you were only going to replace the servo, and not the entire middle assembly, could that be done by only removing the top outer frame of the aircraft? It seems the servo mounting screws could then be accessed. Any insights?

If you were only going to replace the servo, and not the entire middle assembly, could that be done by only removing the top outer frame of the aircraft? It seems the servo mounting screws could then be accessed. Any insights?

Yes, I do believe you can get at the servo this way but unless you have access to another one of these DJI servos from another I2 craft there is no way to procure just a servo for the landing gear actuator.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian