Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Yea, this is one of the worst PITAs about the whole I2. I have six sets (12 batteries) and 2 batteries have failed in less than 75 flights due to the balancing issue. I seem to recall seeing somewhere that somebody cut one of their failed batteries open and actually fixed it, proving in the process that there was nothing wrong with the battery, but it's just the crappy DJI software that fails to properly balance and correct the cells.
But I do have some good news for you (depending on your risk tolerance). If you have a bad battery (bad because of an unbalanced cell), here's what you do. Put on one good battery and power up, waiting for GPS lock, etc. You won't be able to take off because you only have one battery on, but everything will be ready to go other than that. Now pop on the bad battery in the #2 slot. You're warning will go away and you can now take off and fly. This trick has saved my *** a couple of times. My subjects do NOT allow for multiple takes or advanced preparation - I've got one and only one chance to get the shot, so nothing pisses me off more than having Daddy DJI tell me I can't fly because their crappy batteries have crapped out. I'm actually a nice guy, but I really would like to put my foot in DJI's ***.

Florida Drone Supply has donated 2 of these batteries for me to examine and try to fix. I will be posting a video regarding this very soon. Yes, I have taken one apart, repaired and put together again

Rich
IMG_9677.JPG

DJI have just made an announcement on their own forum as follows...

'Dear users,

We have received reports of a battery cell error with the TB50 Intelligent Batteries used in the Inspire 2. This error is caused by an unbalanced battery cell voltage, and we will diminish this issue through a firmware update in the near future. Through our test and analysis, the battery will become normal after cells are balanced.

Please follow DJI’s official website for firmware update announcements or watch out for update notifications in the app. For more details, please refer to the release notes of the soon to be released firmware update.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best regards,
DJI Support'

Mark

At this point DJI will be releasing a new FW update to help correct the battery management system to keep the batteries balanced. I do not believe it will fix badly out of balance batteries. IMO I have experience now with the I2 battery and will be posting my video very soon
Rich

IMG_9769.jpg]

Attachments

• IMG_9676.JPG
    IMG_9676.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 175
Last edited:
I thought I had posted the Pin outs for the TB50 but must have missed it.

IMG_5450.JPG

The green and Purple are the data and control pins.

Also to turn the battery on

IMG_7173.JPG

Reactions: difisi
can you turn on a inspire 2 battery without it being in the bird????, like you can most all dji battery, why the 3k resistor

img_7173-jpg.19288

can you turn on a inspire 2 battery without it being in the bird????, like you can most all dji battery, why the 3k resistor

img_7173-jpg.19288

There is no power button on the TB50 to turn on you need to put 3.3K resistor across those pins as shown.

The battery shown above in post #23 was inserted into my Inspire 2 the imbalance or cell error issue has been fixed

Rich
View attachment 19356

The new FW that due to release very soon should resolve this now hopefully and also bring ones that out out of balance back into balance too but as to what extent this is unknown.

There is no power button on the TB50 to turn on you need to put 3.3K resistor across those pins as shown.

The new FW that due to release very soon should resolve this now hopefully and also bring ones that out out of balance back into balance too but as to what extent this is unknown.

Yes, I have read the DJI announcement too. IMO some of these batteries (cell error) are way out of balance (by capacity) and I find it hard to believe the FW will fix them. Wish DJI would have made it easier for customers to address battery issues other than buying new ones. Some of these minor issues can be fixed without spending more cash.

At this point DJI will be releasing a new FW update to help correct the battery management system to keep the batteries balanced. I do not believe it will fix badly out of balance batteries. IMO I have experience now with the I2 battery and will be posting my video very soon
Rich

View attachment 19261 View attachment 19262
Could you give some tips how to open the battery please ?

55C58082-EDB0-4B08-8D13-AA3CB141B876.jpeg FC82965B-9CBB-4C50-BF85-EAF965E52324.jpeg 5418C882-A393-4FF3-8D8D-03B21E2087A9.jpeg
Could you give some tips how to open the battery please ?
I used some Ifixit opening tools and took my time. The battery has 2 anchor tabs on the inside edge of each side of the case.
It is very difficult to do this without damaging the plastic case. DJI used glue to hold the halves together. Be very careful not to dig into the case and short the battery cells.

Rich

Reactions: difisi
I'm always looking forward on balance charging cable for TB50 battery and so I can balance charge/discharge and precise control with my LIPO charger. I had my Yuneec Typhoon H battery balance charging very well with the custom cable from Carolina Dronz before, but there are still lack in kind of accessories for TB50/Inspire2

I'm always looking forward on balance charging cable for TB50 battery and so I can balance charge/discharge and precise control with my LIPO charger. I had my Yuneec Typhoon H battery balance charging very well with the custom cable from Carolina Dronz before, but there are still lack in kind of accessories for TB50/Inspire2

Hi Joe,

unfortunately DJI has designed these batteries to prevent the user from working on them. Also, they do not want third party chargers used because it can void the warranty.
I get it and agree with you, but this is a difficult process on the TB 50 batteries.

The DJI Charging Station offers the best solution available at this point. (not the same as the Li-Po charging tools) but it really does a nice job.

Rich

The DJI Charging Station offers the best solution available at this point. (not the same as the Li-Po charging tools) but it really does a nice job.

Rich
Rich, are you saying that DJI Charging Station has some battery "curing" ability to fix these going slowly out of cell balance?

Rich, are you saying that DJI Charging Station has some battery "curing" ability to fix these going slowly out of cell balance?
Hi
The Latest DJI FW update corrects the imbalance issues that were introduced by previously released FW. Make sure you update your batteries to the latest FW and let them sit for 72 hours at full charge.

The DJI battery station has many ways to help. The batteries can be discharged to either 25% or 50% of charge and you can monitor the battery details; cell voltages, total current and state of charge. This charging unit can fast charge at the maximum current these batteries are designed to handle.

With this said, it offers much more than the standard DJI charging brick. But, it will not give you the same abilities as a dedicated Li-Po charger with balance ports. DJI batteries does not support independent pin out for the 6 cells. DJI relies on the internal battery management (intelligent circuit) and the user cannot override this normally.

Rich

Reactions: g36pilot
Hi
The Latest DJI FW update corrects the imbalance issues that were introduced by previously released FW. Make sure you update your batteries to the latest FW and let them sit for 72 hours at full charge.

The DJI battery station has many ways to help. The batteries can be discharged to either 25% or 50% of charge and you can monitor the battery details; cell voltages, total current and state of charge. This charging unit can fast charge at the maximum current these batteries are designed to handle.

With this said, it offers much more than the standard DJI charging brick. But, it will not give you the same abilities as a dedicated Li-Po charger with balance ports. DJI batteries does not support independent pin out for the 6 cells. DJI relies on the internal battery management (intelligent circuit) and the user cannot override this normally.

Rich
Thanks, Brother Rich.

Hello i try to turn on the Battery with 3K resistor and only the led is open for a while, without any output from the battery any advise for this?

I have the same issue. Putting the 3.3k resistor just let the leds light up, there is no voltage on the output pins. Is there something else to do to get the battery on?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry