Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 waypoint flight

Reaction score
Howdy, I fixin' to figure out how to fly the Inspire 2 on a waypoint flight. There's plenty of instructions of how to fly a route, pick the point to save, and continue to the next point. I would like to be able to preprogram the waypoints. Do y'all have any suggestions how to do this? I use a iPad (MacOS) for the controller and I see a couple of apps that do this... Thank you.

You need to fly the course and then save it. Then you can retrieve and fly it as many times as you wish. It will fly the course, and use the speed, altitude and orientation of the I2 during the flight. I only use that feature when I need to fly out my batteries (discharge). It makes it pretty simple to put the I2 in the air, retrieve the flight and press START.

Reactions: Hawkowl
You need to fly the course and then save it. Then you can retrieve and fly it as many times as you wish. It will fly the course, and use the speed, altitude and orientation of the I2 during the flight. I only use that feature when I need to fly out my batteries (discharge). It makes it pretty simple to put the I2 in the air, retrieve the flight and press START.
Thank you. I did this yesterday and was quite simple. I still need to hit the correct button for controlling the gimbal separately.
I’m just used to inserting waypoints for a flight plan, like in the MD11, before flight.

When you save a waypoint while flying, will the gimbal pitch be memorized and applied when you fly the automated waypoint mission? This would really help if you are changing altitudes and filming yourself, not wanting to carry the controller.

Will it save your gimbal pitch as well, so in the automated flight it performs the gimbal movements automatically? I think Litchi will do this, bit not sure about DJI Go4

When you save a waypoint while flying, will the gimbal pitch be memorized and applied when you fly the automated waypoint mission? This would really help if you are changing altitudes and filming yourself, not wanting to carry the controller.
I’m not sure about that memorizing while flying. But programing on the app has 4 options for the gimbal pitch at each waypoint. Disabled, focus POI, interpolated, and fixed.

Reactions: Hawkowl
I’m not sure about that memorizing while flying. But programing on the app has 4 options for the gimbal pitch at each waypoint. Disabled, focus POI, interpolated, and fixed.
I just did an experiment and it’s a no go. Yes you can do it in the app, but in the real world the gimbal pitch is often really critical and it would be great if I could set it at each waypoint with the C1 key. I tried this on a test flight just now and you can set the waypoints and heading but NOT the gimbal pitch. I called DJI customer tech support and they concurred that gimbal pitch has to be controlled manually throughout a waypoint mission.

I’m going to check the Litchi App. I seem to remember hearing gimbal pitch can be programmed into their waypoint missions.

I just did an experiment and it’s a no go. Yes you can do it in the app, but in the real world the gimbal pitch is often really critical and it would be great if I could set it at each waypoint with the C1 key. I tried this on a test flight just now and you can set the waypoints and heading but NOT the gimbal pitch. I called DJI customer tech support and they concurred that gimbal pitch has to be controlled manually throughout a waypoint mission.

I’m going to check the Litchi App. I seem to remember hearing gimbal pitch can be programmed into their waypoint missions.
I just did a Waypoint mission with Litchi, and it does memorize gimbal pitch; DJI Go4 does not.

So litchi will work with the Inspire 2?
Yeah it works beautifully. One weird hiccup: if you use the automated pano feature in Litchi, I’ve found at the end of the pano sequence the gimbal is left in “free” mode and this can lead to some pilot confusion if using the display to navigate back to the home point. The gimbal will be facing some weird direction, not forward with the line of flight. At the end of the pano sequence, you need to go into settings, Aircraft, and change the gimbal mode to “follow” from “free”. The Waypoints mode in Litchi is MUCH better than the DJI Waypoint mode. You can get incredibly smooth video WITH gimbal pitch movements memorized.

Reactions: philztoy
Thanks - all great information.
I use Litchi with my Mavic 2.
About to get my Inspire 2. Is it possible to have the I2 head in a particular direction but have the Lens on the camera turn away to the side using Litchi.
I am assuming this will then allow single person operation instead of using 2 controllers.
I know you can set a POI and use "Focus POI".

Does Litchi have more options for the Inspire 2?

TIA.
John

Thanks - all great information.
I use Litchi with my Mavic 2.
About to get my Inspire 2. Is it possible to have the I2 head in a particular direction but have the Lens on the camera turn away to the side using Litchi.
I am assuming this will then allow single person operation instead of using 2 controllers.
I know you can set a POI and use "Focus POI".

Does Litchi have more options for the Inspire 2?

TIA.
John
I think you can do that with litchi. I haven't used it a lot in the inspire 2 yet.

Although I like Litchi, I know that the Refresh plan is voided if anything goes wrong during a Litchi flight.
So I looked at DJI GS Pro - but I see that is discontinued now. Any other DJI options for pre-programming (on a desktop) with DJI Apps?
Thanks,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THE FLYING LIZARD