Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 won’t take of with compass error whilst other DJI products do.

Reaction score
I have flown many times at sea of various types & sizes of vessel.

Prior to flight I will usually perform a compass calibration & test flight on dry land before taking to the sea.

Often, the steel structure of the vessel will interfere with the compass calibration but on the Inspire 1, Phantom 2, Mavic Pro and Mavic 2, the drone will allow takeoff and once clear of the vessel the compass error will clear.

For some reason, my Inspire 2 will not even start the motors!

Is this true of all Inspire 2.

I wonder why DJI have programmed this differently to other drones in their range?

I have flown many times at sea of various types & sizes of vessel.

Prior to flight I will usually perform a compass calibration & test flight on dry land before taking to the sea.

Often, the steel structure of the vessel will interfere with the compass calibration but on the Inspire 1, Phantom 2, Mavic Pro and Mavic 2, the drone will allow takeoff and once clear of the vessel the compass error will clear.

For some reason, my Inspire 2 will not even start the motors!

Is this true of all Inspire 2.

I wonder why DJI have programmed this differently to other drones in their range?
I’m afraid it’s DJI trying to weed out the idiot gene and nannying people again.
As you have pointed out, there are legitimate reasons why you would want/need to take off with an induced compass error like on board a ship.
Performing a compass calibration on board would be suicide and yet DJI prevent the aircraft from initializing.

Reactions: MrTVR
I’m afraid it’s DJI trying to weed out the idiot gene and nannying people again.
As you have pointed out, there are legitimate reasons why you would want/need to take off with an induced compass error like on board a ship.
Performing a compass calibration on board would be suicide and yet DJI prevent the aircraft from initializing.

Indeed, the first thing that comes to mind when the I2 refuses to power up is to perform a compass calibration, thus luring the idiot gened pilot to commit suicide.

Maybe I have just answered my own question ... DJI have just programmed a way to crash I2s and sell more replacement drones or chargeable repairs?

The result of this anomaly between models is that my job yesterday had to be flown with the Mavic 2 when the specifics of the shot required a 25-45mm lens. Bit of a bummer when the consumer drone out performs the so called pro kit!

Reactions: SanCap
Indeed, the first thing that comes to mind when the I2 refuses to power up is to perform a compass calibration, thus luring the idiot gened pilot to commit suicide.

Maybe I have just answered my own question ... DJI have just programmed a way to crash I2s and sell more replacement drones or chargeable repairs?
The compass error is a bummer. It is more frequent on the latest FW. It pops up now with uncanny regularity and for no apparent reason.

Reactions: mgphoto
The compass error is a bummer. It is more frequent on the latest FW. It pops up now with uncanny regularity and for no apparent reason.

Agreed. I wonder if DJI know it’s an issue and if they will correct the frequent compass error and inability to spool up the motors in the next FW update?

I take a small folding aluminium picnic table with me. I find that if I can get 2-3’ off the deck it’s enough to placate a troubled compass on i2. This has worked for me on 30,000 ton steel vessel as well as on the dock.

I take a small folding aluminium picnic table with me. I find that if I can get 2-3’ off the deck it’s enough to placate a troubled compass on i2. This has worked for me on 30,000 ton steel vessel as well as on the dock.
I did not know of this simple trick. I'll will keep it in mind. Thanks.

I have used similar techniques myself but last week I was unable to clear the compass error even after clearing the deck by 6’.

I was only a small vessel but I guess it had a relatively strong magnetic field.

The question in my mind is, why have DJI programmed the Inspire 2 to prohibit take off with compass error when they have allowed many, if not all of their other drones to take off under identical conditions?

I have used similar techniques myself but last week I was unable to clear the compass error even after clearing the deck by 6’.

I was only a small vessel but I guess it had a relatively strong magnetic field.

The question in my mind is, why have DJI programmed the Inspire 2 to prohibit take off with compass error when they have allowed many, if not all of their other drones to take off under identical conditions?
Do not look for a logic or reason when you deal with DJI. There is neither.?

I have been having this same issue only as of lately. Ever since I started using the X5s camera, I have been getting compass errors non stop. This also happens when the X4s is attached. No matter where I go...over grass, dirst, cement...nothing works. I needed to fly a construction site today and couldn't preform the flight due to the compass calibration error and not being able to calibrate. I must have tried for 25 min. Once in a while I'll get the check mark to pop up but then it stays on the calibration popup on screen. If i clear it out, it's like the calibration never happened!
Not sure how to fix this issue at all!

I have been having this same issue only as of lately. Ever since I started using the X5s camera, I have been getting compass errors non stop. This also happens when the X4s is attached. No matter where I go...over grass, dirst, cement...nothing works. I needed to fly a construction site today and couldn't preform the flight due to the compass calibration error and not being able to calibrate. I must have tried for 25 min. Once in a while I'll get the check mark to pop up but then it stays on the calibration popup on screen. If i clear it out, it's like the calibration never happened!
Not sure how to fix this issue at all!
This is definitely abnormal and may indicate a hardware (i.e. compass module) malfunction. Compass calibration should be done once and no more, unless you travel to Patagonia or Vladivostok ...

This is definitely abnormal and may indicate a hardware (i.e. compass module) malfunction. Compass calibration should be done once and no more, unless you travel to Patagonia or Vladivostok ...
Unforrunatelly this has started to be an issue since the latest FW. Many, myself including have reported this occuring for no particular reason. I get this message fairly frequently now and must perform the "dance" before I can take off. Fortunatelly for me the compass calibration can be done succesfully mostly on a first go and I am ready for the task straight after. It is certainly annoying but not a major hurdle for me.

Unforrunatelly this has started to be an issue since the latest FW. Many, myself including have reported this occuring for no particular reason. I get this message fairly frequently now and must perform the "dance" before I can take off. Fortunatelly for me the compass calibration can be done succesfully mostly on a first go and I am ready for the task straight after. It is certainly annoying but not a major hurdle for me.
Which supports my thesis that Inspire 2 suffers personality/QC issues, because mine is simply immune to this assumed compass vulnerability of .0300 FW. Did they tweaked compass settings or they didn't remains a mystery, as with many other DJI-branded things ...

Which supports my thesis that Inspire 2 suffers personality/QC issues, because mine is simply immune to this assumed compass vulnerability of .0300 FW. Did they tweaked compass settings or they didn't remains a mystery, as with many other DJI-branded things ...
My I2 did not have this issue prior to .300 FW. From what've read all who do have this issue it started with .300. It looks like the severity varies from unit to unit. In my case a simple compass calibration on site before take-off fixes it. So, I might be one of the lucky ones, perhaps not as lucky as you but not as badly affected as the OP either...

You can deactivate the prohibit with ASSISTANT2 (old version) in debug mode. You can even deactivate GPS to fly only one with optical vision for indoor flight...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido