Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Zenmuse X5s - Camera Sensor error

Reaction score
Hello all, I've been flying a Phantom 4 standard since they 1st came out, the goal at that time was to get experience to one day buy the inspire, well, that time came early this year when I bought the inspire 2 and the Zenmuse X5S....I'm currently studying for my part 107 licence and so far I've only taken the Inspire out 3 or 4 time for short flights, mostly getting used to the camera settings and features of this awesome drone. One of the things i noticed right off was that while the Phantom 4 turns like a sports car, the inspire turns like a freight liner semi truck.
Recently we sold our home and I thought what a great opportunity to do some real estate type photo's and video's.
I get the drone and camera all set up, i take a few shots and videos from the street at about 40 feet up (the area I'm in has a 100 foot ceiling)...
So what are the odds???,
I then decide to come in for a closer view of the front of the house by following the walk way, I brought drone down to about 3 feet off the ground, there's some bushes and trees in the yard so I'm being extra careful and slow...oh so very slow...really really... slow, and the drone is in tripod mode, I'm thinking this is great practice flying, and I'm concentrating so much on the Drone that I pull a rookie move and don't activate the camera...so now, as I get nearer to the house...well lets just say....all hell broke loose...a sparrow bolts out of a near by bush towards the drone, in the blink of an eye the sparrow collides with the inspire and all i see is a cloud of feathers and the drone spinning backward and bounces onto the lawn with a thump...thankfully the drone was still in a landing gear down mode and was over the grass, it landed (bounced) with no visible damage other than 1 broken propeller and needing to be cleaned up, but sadly, the little sparrow was not so fortunate.
So after I checked everything out, replaced all the props and cleaned everything up, I now have a "Camera Sensor Error" and no camera feed to my screen (the onboard inspire camera is working fine), On startup the gimbal still runs through its start up functions (rotating/spins etc.), I also took the camera lens off and reattached and still have the same sensor error, I'm also seeing a error to the effect the the gimbal is not attached. Other than this the drone flies and functions fine, just no camera feed from the X5S.
So I'm thinking the gimbal mount cable may have come loose or damaged, I do have a spare gimbal mount but my question to some of the many experts out there is should i pursue changing out the gimbal mount and cable or should I be looking at the X5S camera instead. (which also has no visible damage)

Reaction score
Website
www.skycreations.biz
I've been flying the Inspire 2 for over a year and on my second one. I jumped in with both feet after just flying the Spark. I'm on my third X5S. The gimbal/camera system is probably the weakest link on the bottom of the Inspire. Another words, if you bounce your drone, more than likely you tweaked your X5S. After my last crash onto concrete, the configuration that the camera attaches to took the biggest loss. I sometimes get a "Camera Sensor Error" too and I think something is still wrong because my EV rating never changes no matter what camera settings I change. I would look there.

Reaction score
Make sure that the pins which rotate to engage the camera mount are lining up correctly.
Pulling on the wires connected to the gimbal damper can over stress them, a short here will cause the cinecore unit to fry, if it was operating at the time. Damper can be replaced. That may solve the issue, if the cinecore module is toasted, it won’t help but both will need to be replaced.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the feedback, and yes, pins line up, I've done a few simple steps to try and resolve the issue, I do have a new unopened gimbal mount to try out, looks like a pretty fairly drawn out process to replace it and I'm gonna attempt it over the weekend, but I'm prepared to send the camera in for repairs if this does not work, and no, I haven't dug into my pockets deep enough to try the cinecore yet ;)

Reaction score
ok, spent a couple of hours and replaced the vibration damper and I now totally believe aliens walk among us...either that or I want whatever those guys were smoking when they designed that thing...who comes up with connections like that??? ;) anyway, the end result was the same camera sensor error and "check if gimbal is installed...so the camera is now packed up and ready to ship out for repair...Thanks again for the feedback

Reaction score
Website
www.skycreations.biz
While we're on the subject; I did a shoot the other day and when I switched from the 15mm to the 45mm & the pancake lenses, neither of the other 2 lenses would focus. I haven't seen any firmware updates or any conflicts like that; nothing will focus besides the 15 mm.

Reaction score
Website
www.personaldronerepair.com
Hello guys.
I too am experiencing an error after a crash.
Aircraft Encoder Error
Camera Sensor Error
The unit is an inspire 2 X5s. The gimbal plate has been repaced with an oem , brand new plate, including power and video signal cables. The x5s powers up intermittently without any video signal feed to the app.
The x5s does respond to gimbal pitch input.
The x5s moves up and down very smoothly.
The fpv camera does send a good clear video feed to the app.
The processing board located in the nose, shows no signs of impact or damage. I double checked all of the connections that I connected and visually inspected both sides of the board. All looks to be in order.
I do not have dji care refresh. I know, not wise.
I am aware that without having this unit in possession, it is impossible to know why this error exists.
Just curious to know if anyone else has experienced this error code and might be able to point me in a good direction for diagnosis.
I have already removed and replaced the x5s lens in the hopes that it may reconnect.
The new gimbal plate pins all look to be in order.
Even though the vibration plate is new, I have also visually inspected the signal and power cables.
Everything looks good.
Any input will be highly appreciated.
Thank You!!

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcusphoen