Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire crash

Reaction score
I just helplessly watched my Inspire crash into the dirt. First, quick background on me, I have been flying collective pitch RC helicopters on and off for 15 years. I have been flying a FPV Flip quad for the last couple of years as well.

I only received the Inspire yesterday from Coptershop, but I have been all over the forums learning all I can about the Inspire for several weeks. I have read about the accidents and about the possible reasons for those losses. I felt that with careful calibration and decent pilot skills the Inspire would be fine. So, in short Yes, the quad was calibrated all of the data IMU, compass, were in line. Props were triple checked because I have spent a prop before and I am very concerned with it.

First flight went fine, no issues what so ever. I was 10 minutes into the second flight when the inspire completly failed. The quad was hovering around 10 feet in front of me with an altitude of maybe 15 feet It had been there for around 15 to 30 seconds. When it failed, my hands were not even on the sticks. The Inspire did a complete 360 end over end and fell to the ground. Something not possible in GPS or ATTI mode. I did try to correct but there was not time.

Surprisingly the physical damage was very minor. all Props broke (But still nice and tight on the shaft), camera came off of the mount but did not break and both arms are tilted maybe 5 degrees outwards. The mental damage is severe. I no longer trust this thing. I have already contacted DJI and am sending the unit to them so that they can review the flight logs.

I can't warn you fellow pilots enough, something is still not right with these Inspires. I believed the issue was people buying these things that had little to no experience with RC aircraft in general. Im telling you that its more than that. I do not believe that I was recording at the time of the crash but if I was, I will upload the video later tonight.

Possible esc failure? There is at least one other posted on this forum with esc problem.

Did you try firing it up again after the crash to see if all four motors responded?

That really is sad to hear. We should systematically be recording EVERYTHING, starting before the rotors start spinning. A 64gb memory card gives us over 2 hours of footage so adding a few seconds on each flight won't change much. I learned this the hard way last year when my Vision+ crashed in the water due to serious magnetic declination issues in Canada. Was not filming at the time so very hard to claim if no proof is offered. I don't take any chances any more and record anything.

While I sympathize with your situation and looks like you clearly had a defective unit, I can't agree with your comment that something is not right with the Inspires. There are tons of people flying them now and there have been very few crashes. The initial issues have been or are being addressed in a very timely manner.

Richie

I hate that I was not recording at the time. I wish you guys could have seen what it did. Best way I can describe it is it acted like it was in manual mode and I pinned the elevator stick all the way forward. Thats the best way to describe what I saw.

While I sympathize with your situation and looks like you clearly had a defective unit, I can't agree with your comment that something is not right with the Inspires. There are tons of people flying them now and there have been very few crashes. The initial issues have been or are being addressed in a very timely manner.

Richie
Richie, I hope your right. It's an incredible quad. I look forward to getting it or a replacement back. It will be a long time before I would trust flying it around anyone.

I'll post back once I hear something from DJI. They said it would be around a 3 week turnaround.

Reactions: diverreb
Thanks for posting that Heiifyre. I know exactly what you mean. Since flying involves risk management, if I take all reasonable precautions and care, and experience even one crash in a thousand flights - I would question the reliability of the platform. This is because of the potential liability and damage that may occur.

I treat these things like tools, not toys.

If you are using iOS can you go to Advanced and click on download the flight data. You will need to be connected to a PC or Mac via the usb on the back of the Inspire and a folder will appear. You will need to copy the last flight data file to your computer. It will be large if it is a valid file. Save it to an internet shared drive and send it to [email protected]. We will analyze the log.

If you are using iOS can you go to Advanced and click on download the flight data. You will need to be connected to a PC or Mac via the usb on the back of the Inspire and a folder will appear. You will need to copy the last flight data file to your computer. It will be large if it is a valid file. Save it to an internet shared drive and send it to [email protected]. We will analyze the log.
How is this possible.? if you have your iOS device already in the usb port of the controller to see the advanced botton how am I going to connect another one? Can you explain this a little bit better please?

You connect the USB to the Inspire1, not the controller. The USB port is on the back of the machine, by the LED

Yikes, I received my Inspire1 from Copter Shop the same day you did so this makes me a little nervous, hopefully we didn't get a bad batch. My inspire had a piece of paper inside that said "PASS 2015-01-07 DJI QA" do you mind if I ask what date yours said? My case was also a little scratched up upon delivery unfortunately.

I went for a quick flight yesterday afternoon with my Inspire. Only 17 minutes total. It was getting dark and I started seeing the gimbal twitch a little bit so I landed. I got paranoid and thought it was acting a little weird in the air too. I then realized I didn't calibrate the IMU yet and was flying with the landing gear down, it was also a bit windy, hopefully the issues were from that, will have to take it easy for the next few flights.

Sorry to hear this. If it truly is an aircraft fault, I'm confident DJI will take care of you. Although rare, it has happened. Follow Ed's advice and pull the flight logs immediately. It sounds like it may be your only form of proof of what happened during the accident.

Best of luck, keep up with the forums and let us know what happens. As early adopters we all closely watch the crash reports.

Reactions: DjiQuadzilla
After say about 40 take offs only time my inspire 1 replicates this type behavior is when i don't calibrate the compass. Every take off people. Ive also stopped using my ipad mini. Now just my phone gs5 on airplane mode.

Yikes, I received my Inspire1 from Copter Shop the same day you did so this makes me a little nervous, hopefully we didn't get a bad batch. My inspire had a piece of paper inside that said "PASS 2015-01-07 DJI QA" do you mind if I ask what date yours said? My case was also a little scratched up upon delivery unfortunately.

I went for a quick flight yesterday afternoon with my Inspire. Only 17 minutes total. It was getting dark and I started seeing the gimbal twitch a little bit so I landed. I got paranoid and thought it was acting a little weird in the air too. I then realized I didn't calibrate the IMU yet and was flying with the landing gear down, it was also a bit windy, hopefully the issues were from that, will have to take it easy for the next few flights.

My date is 12-27-2014.

Box arrived in perfect condition and the inspire flew great before the failure. I did not notice any weird behavior. The wind was very light. Just a slight breeze from the north.

I am pulling the logs right now. There is 1.71GB of data. I will send you an email from [email protected] with a dropbox location once the download is complete. The Inspire will be shipped today.

Possible esc failure? There is at least one other posted on this forum with esc problem.

Did you try firing it up again after the crash to see if all four motors responded?

Sorry, I missed this message before. I never tried to start the motors after the crash. I thought about it but I wanted to get it to DJI just like it was and not mess with anything. I would not have even powered it up if the logs were not requested from DJI.

My inspire during a test flight inside did not respond as described in their specifications, was unable to maintain a position, flew erratically, crashed and carbon fiber arm broke. Now after the shock I am looking for technical assistance and spare parts! uffff

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Update here. Tahoe Ed had the logs read and found the unit DOA. The exact component that failed was unclear but from what was replaced I can only assume it was the flight controller. Below are the notes from DJI:

Hi Shawn,
Your Inspire One has been repaired. The technician replaced three motors, the flight controller and landing gear servos. Your Inspire One is entering the shipping department today and you will get a tracking number when the label is generated.
Thank you for supporting DJI products. If you have any further questions please contact our support center at
(818) 235-0789 Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM Pacific Time.
Sincerely,
DJI Repair Team
The Future of Possible
DJI Technology Customer Support

I was kind of surprised that they did not have to replace the Camera\Gimbal. That area took the brunt of the crash.

Short story is, DJI covered everything under warranty. The only thing I had to pay for was shipping the unit to them. I really wanted to have the unit replaced seeing how it only had 2 flights at the time of this failure. Unfortunately, I did not purchase it directly through DJI so a replacement was not possible. My opinion is that is just bad business. It is their product regardless the vender. Heck, It was a huge deal just to get the props replaced. "Those are not covered under warranty". The warranty part I understand, but in situations like this I would think it would just be a common courtesy.

Overall, assuming everything is in order when the Inspire arrives, I will be satisfied.

Reactions: Mazz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters