Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire1 Satellite info

Reaction score
please can anyone advise if it is possible to view satellite position info via the pilot app? Any help appreciated. Thanks

please can anyone advise if it is possible to view satellite position info via the pilot app? Any help appreciated. Thanks
Not currently, no. Additionally, I am not sure what use that would be to you. The Inspire uses both Navstar and Glonass constellations.

The reason for wanting to see them is to make sure you have a nice even spread and not a cluster of them and this could lead to issues…. (something the CAA in UK are very hot on promoting). thanks

Given the fact that these aircraft operate at such a relatively short range, that really is not a factor. You are not operating from 500 miles out.

I'm not sure I'm with you on your reply. Poor GPS signal is poor GPS signal regardless how far out you are. I'm a commercial pilot not a hobbyist so things like this are important factors for me if I wish to fly everyday without issues.... Appreciate your input.

I don't believe the o.p. was talking about a poor signal, just "spread out" satellites. I agree, a poor signal is just that. For this type flying, as long as there is a good signal from ANY satellite I am confident. The triangulation algorithms are the same whether its clustered or widespread.

I don't believe the o.p. was talking about a poor signal, just "spread out" satellites. I agree, a poor signal is just that. For this type flying, as long as there is a good signal from ANY satellite I am confident. The triangulation algorithms are the same whether its clustered or widespread.
Also, I don't believe you would have the ability to pick and choose satellites anyway. Basically "it is what it is" as far as signal from a particular location,time,atmospheric conditions,etc. Are you saying you wouldn't fly even with a good signal if they originated from a cluster of satellites? It's a very interesting theory.

The reason for wanting to see them is to make sure you have a nice even spread and not a cluster of them and this could lead to issues…. (something the CAA in UK are very hot on promoting). thanks
OK, not exactly sure I agree with you on that one.
I have CAA PFAW so fully certified to operate commercially and they really don't give a monkeys how many satellites your craft can see. They are only interested in what goes in your ops manual!
You have never been able to select what satellites your craft or device locks onto since this is determined by the almanac/ephemeris data embedded in the GPS receiver giving details of where the constellation is positioned at any given time.
At any time within the Northern or Southern hemisphere a minimum of four satellites is visible up to maximum of 12 horizon to horizon. This is true just for the Navstar (GPS) constellation and does not include Glonass.
For the Inspire, displaying the number of satellites it can 'see' is not important since it works on horizontal/vertical dilution of presicion (Hdop/Vdop) to work out accuracy of fix/position. If the hdop/vdop gives poor positional accuracy the Inspire through the app will drop a number of bars on the GPS signal display until ultimately a message will pop up giving a warning that there is no GPS signal.
This is of far more 'use' to the end user than number/position of satellites received.

Last edited:
Reactions: IamInspired
@ The Editor- Great info! If this is all true, why do you think so many inspire pilots experience intermitent GPS failures? I would have to think it is a software/hardware issue. Which is more likely if this is the case?

@ The Editor- Great info! If this is all true, why do you think so many inspire pilots experience intermitent GPS failures? I would have to think it is a software/hardware issue. Which is more likely if this is the case?
This was caused by a firmware issue in the last version. The algorithms were a little too 'over zealous' when it came to poor/abnormal compass data which was coded to 'drop' into atti mode for safety. GPS was never actually lost, it just appeared that way and the aircraft switched to atti mode as it is programmed to do.
This has now been addressed in the latest firmware and you should not be seeing any drop into atti occurring other than in areas where you would expect poor satellite coverage.

Last edited:
I'm on the latest firmware and got a drop yesterday yesterday from 19 to 6 and the Inspire went into atti mode. A minute or so later it was back to 19...

I'm on the latest firmware and got a drop yesterday yesterday from 19 to 6 and the Inspire went into atti mode. A minute or so later it was back to 19...
Where do you see the number of satellites all mine shows is the bars at the top, and I have the newest software.

Only on the iOS version as this point if I'm not mistaken

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I use a app called Satellite Check for GPS Confirmation and stats. You can find it in the google play or app store. Its good for checking out basic GPS sat info and strengths. I use it along with all my other gadgets before flight. You never can have enough tools in your tool box.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop