Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad Case Magnetized-Will that Affect Transmission?

Reaction score
Website
www.caseyimaging.com
I just found out that the iPad Air 2 outer metal case is magnetised as it comes delivered from the factory. Apparently it has something to do with auto wake up when using certain protective cases. But it immediately made me wonder what that magnetic field does to the Inspire's RC transmission and reception given that we are always told to keep t away from metal objects, high voltage power lines, cell phone transmission towers etc.etc. Does anyone know?

Well I've had mine out to 2.5km (just over 1.5 miles) without so much as a video glitch or loss of any bars on the control signal.
Tried it with same results on:
  • iPad Air
  • iPad mini
  • Nvidia Shield
Is that far enough for you?

I just found out that the iPad Air 2 outer metal case is magnetised as it comes delivered from the factory. Apparently it has something to do with auto wake up when using certain protective cases. But it immediately made me wonder what that magnetic field does to the Inspire's RC transmission and reception given that we are always told to keep t away from metal objects, high voltage power lines, cell phone transmission towers etc.etc. Does anyone know?
It doesn't interfere with it at all.

If I was able to get out to 2.5km I would be happy. I've only had mine out to 750 metres - done that many times but I have had video signal dropouts even at that distance - only occasionally and only for a second or two. I get the red warning at the top of the screen, but it has never been enough to cause a real problem. So when I noticed this magnetic case on the iPad, I just wondered about whether it might have been too close to the antennas or something.
But yes 2.5km would be plenty far enough. Actually, I'm not all that comfortable once it goes out of my sight and I'm relying on the map and indicator on the bottom left to fly it back. I do it when I have to, but I'm always glad when I can see it visually again.

Depends where you're flying. I've only ever gotten 1.7 km then she losers signal and RTH. I've never tried a distance flight in any other place. I reckon she'll go further if I change location.

If I was able to get out to 2.5km I would be happy. I've only had mine out to 750 metres - done that many times but I have had video signal dropouts even at that distance - only occasionally and only for a second or two. I get the red warning at the top of the screen, but it has never been enough to cause a real problem. So when I noticed this magnetic case on the iPad, I just wondered about whether it might have been too close to the antennas or something.
But yes 2.5km would be plenty far enough. Actually, I'm not all that comfortable once it goes out of my sight and I'm relying on the map and indicator on the bottom left to fly it back. I do it when I have to, but I'm always glad when I can see it visually again.
If you get that video glitch it is usually just the Lightbridge system changes channels and the video feed soon returns. You can usually fly 'through' the glitch (just got to have the courage to do it :)). Coming from analogue FPV systems as nearly all of us do, we are used to seeing a gradually degrading picture/signal as you travel further away. With digital transmissions it's a bit abrupt when it drops/freezes for a moment and it can be disconcerting but you get used to it.
One thing to note should you loose video altogether is you will still retain telemetry data on your screen. So your orientation arrow, distance and straight line to home will still be displayed even if video goes blank and you get 'Weak Signal'

Yeah I have had a loss of video signal but it was where I still could actually see the Inspire so I started to fly it back, then after about 5 seconds looked back to the iPad and the video feed was there again. Actually, the scariest thing that happened to me was not long after I got my Inspire and it was a very hot day, iPads and Rc's out in the sun flying and the iPad on the master controller overheated and cut out and just showed the iPad overheated screen. So I had no telemetry at all, and the Inspire was out there - only about 500 metres away, but just before it went out, I had my first battery warning which is at 35%. I managed to get sight of it and saw that the controller was still working so I then started to bring it back visually while my wife had the car on and the iPad in front of the aircon outlet. It came back after about 45 seconds and I continued with it OK but I now don't let the iPads get hot even though they do generate a lot of heat internally.

Yeah I have had a loss of video signal but it was where I still could actually see the Inspire so I started to fly it back, then after about 5 seconds looked back to the iPad and the video feed was there again. Actually, the scariest thing that happened to me was not long after I got my Inspire and it was a very hot day, iPads and Rc's out in the sun flying and the iPad on the master controller overheated and cut out and just showed the iPad overheated screen. So I had no telemetry at all, and the Inspire was out there - only about 500 metres away, but just before it went out, I had my first battery warning which is at 35%. I managed to get sight of it and saw that the controller was still working so I then started to bring it back visually while my wife had the car on and the iPad in front of the aircon outlet. It came back after about 45 seconds and I continued with it OK but I now don't let the iPads get hot even though they do generate a lot of heat internally.
Don't forget, there's always that RTH button!.... ;)

i have found that my ipad cover (with a magnet in it) completely screws with the ipad compass, and therefore the map is always pointing in the wrong direction (and therefore also little radar circle thing). Took me ages to work out why it was always wrong, but took the case off and - bingo - works properly again! i shall be flying without it from now on!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74