Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPad needed for inspire?

Reaction score
Being the cheapo that I am I was wondering what is the best option price wise that I can get for an inspire 1v2? Might want to fly missions eventually so I think I read where an ipad is the only option for that. Im excited, just purchased my first dji inspire from seller on this site and looking forwards to learning and playing around with it. Any advise would be appreciated.
thanks
Jeff

Being the cheapo that I am I was wondering what is the best option price wise that I can get for an inspire 1v2? Might want to fly missions eventually so I think I read where an ipad is the only option for that. Im excited, just purchased my first dji inspire from seller on this site and looking forwards to learning and playing around with it. Any advise would be appreciated.
thanks
Jeff
Please use the search function on the forum - try entering "which iPad" in the search field. This has been covered so many times previously there are a multitude of threads already

Sorry about that. I did try the search but worded it wrong that nothing came up. Found that everyone is all over the place with what they like and use.
Jeff

I have flown an I1 for several years. It is my backup unit for my I2 now. I was using the CrystalSky with it until recently. There were some latency issues that I did not like, so I am now back to an iPad. When I got my I1 I bought a used iPad mini on eBay. No way was I going to use a dinky iPhone. The iPad works great. I would recommend dedicating the iPad to the I1 and not trying to share it with other apps. The less you have on it the better. And also I do not cache any images to the iPad. Keep it as simple as possible and you have less chance of problems. That said, the I1 is a good unit and does a great job. Sort on flight apps, but the output is very good. Fly safe....

When I bought my first drone, i also bought an iPad mini. I had lots of trouble with connections and problems with "running out of system resources". Now, it was a cheap iPad mini so I may have needed a faster one.

I decided to get the iPhone Xs max. Smaller but much brighter than an iPad. No issues. The brightness was a MAJOR factor not to use the iPad.

Last edited:
The biggest problem you will run across, at least in my opinion, is bright sunlight. Hoods and shades can help, but ultimately the best 'flying/photography' days are often the worst for watching the display. However, as you become more and more proficient as a 'pilot' and if you keep your craft in view, this may not be a problem. A solution of course is the DJI Crystalsky Ultra Bright, but it's indeed an expensive one, but, for many well worth the money.

My display of choice (can't really justify the high price of CrystalSky) is 9.7" iPad Pro, picked up a mint condition used one for GBP 300 ($370 US). Not as bright as some later devices, but works well and doubles up for other uses of course. It just fits in the display mount of the Inspire controller too. Sure, it could be brighter, but I have used a few times in bright sunlight and it's passable- just.
Only downside of the iPad is that it doesn't seem to support the "follow me" function, although Android (cough) devices do...

I have tried quite a few tablets and I was disappointed with Apple (I'm not apple lover at all) and I use a huawei m3 8" tablet, I only wish I'd bought the 10 " one as the 8 inch is awesome. 10/10 from me.
The iPad minis are all far to slow unless u buy the latest, also iPad and. IPad airs, anything older is just too slow.
Only my exp and views as I kkow others use iPad minis etc and love them.
They can also argue the software was designed for the Apple's. But each to they're own I say.

Fair enough, I only bought the iPad as am a semi-Apple fanboy, already running a MacBook Pro- was a Billy Shite fan for years before a mate suggested a MacBook Pro, and I have never looked back.
I looked at the iPad mini too, but the previous version was very old, slow, and still stupid money!
Most modern tablets (avoid bargain basement devices) will do the job well I guess, just try to get something lightweight that will also fit in the display holder of the Inspire controller.
Oh, GS Pro works on Apple devices, but not Android, so might be a deciding factor too, it's a really cool (and free) app!

I’m all Apple for my personal tech....have been since Vista in ‘07. IMac desktop, MacBook Pro laptop, iPad Pro 12.9 tablet, iPhone XS Max, Apple Watch, Apple TV.....and my old iPad Air is dedicated to my Mavic Air. The iPhone and iPad Air work very well with Go4...no issues...I use the iPhone with the Mavic Air and Tello.

The PROBLEM is being able to see it in sunlight. You can’t. Even with the sunshade, you need to be in deep shade when outside....even with brightness maxed. If you’re going to be in bright, direct sunlight, I can’t recommend the iPad or iPhone.

Look for comparative brightness output and get something that can be used, like the Ultra Bright CS....or similar tablet with brightness output that is equivalent. Of course individual perception of brightness and ability to see (eyeball power) is subjective, so what doesn’t work for me might work for you.....but for me personally, I’d invest in the CS Ultra Bright for use with the I2....yes, it’s expensive....but it is what it is.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa