Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

iPadOS13 compatibility with Autopilot, Map Pilot and Go4.

Reaction score
Has anyone used iPadOS 13 to run either Autopilot, Map Pilot (from maps made easy) or DJI Go4 and is if so do these apps work ok under iPadOS 13?

Hey MrTVR;

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but I have a lot of experience with iPads, Autopilot, Map Pilot and DJI (Go, Go 4 and GS Pro apps). I use Autopilot for automated video missions for construction clients, and I use Map Pilot for mapping missions, so I feel obligated to give some advice.

The thing I absolutely can't stand about iPads, DJI, Autopilot and Map Pilot is that NONE of these products offer any form of exit strategy. They deploy "updates" and (god forbid) "upgrades" without fully fully testing them, leaving you, the user, to do their bidding for them. So my work flow is pretty simple; Don't upgrade/update ANYTHING unless you have to. This includes iPads (I still use my Air 1), iOS, apps, firmware and on and on. I use legacy firmware and software until they become unusable...OR unless a feature is released that I deem worth the risk of an upgrade. For example...

As you're probably well aware, Map Pilot just started supporting inside polygons in v4.0.5. THIS was a carrot for me. Until a week ago, I was running v2.9.2 with no complaints. But, as me and my business partner often need inside polygons, v4.0.5 was a carrot. So I allowed v4.0.5 to install on my iPad. Sure enough, it is now possible to build inside polygons! Awesome! However, what the nice folks at Map Pilot FAILED to mention in their release notes was that they REMOVED the ability to save the Flights.plist file. For me, this was a HUGE inconvenience. A deal breaker. Often times I can have a dozen or so missions for any given job. With v2.9.2 I can save ALL these missions as a single file which can be either imported INTO or exported OUT OF Map Pilot. In v4.0.5, not so much. With v2.9.2 I can literally reload a dozen missions into any iPad in the field in seconds.

1570196871440.png

Well, apparently the developers of Map Pilot don't consider this to be a very useful feature, and have thereby REMOVED access to the Flights.plist file. So my work-around is to build inside polygons in v4.0.5, then AirDrop the missions to my other iPad running v2.9.2, and then save the Flights.plist file to my Google Drive, which then propagates out to all 5 of my computers, including my field laptop. If anything should happen to my iPads, it takes literally seconds to upload the missions to my partner's iPads and we're good to go.

This is just one of DOZENS of examples of DJI, Map Pilot, Autopilot, and/or Apple pulling the rug out from under me. The cure is to HACK everything. I save .ipa files so that I can roll back ANY of my apps.

1570197121541.png

To facilitate this, I have to run a legacy version of iTunes on all my computers:

1570197185601.png

Unfortunately, legacy iTunes only works up to iOS v12.1.xx. So for my new Gen 3 iPad running iOS v12.3.1, I use a program called iMazing, which facilitates access to the file structure.

1570198736315.png

But because I'm running MP v4.0.5, the Flights.plist file does nothing in the above photo. I imported it into MP v4.0.5 just to see if it would populate the missions, but it does not. If I want to repopulate the Gen 3 iPad with missions, I have to do it via Air Drop one mission at a time (in the field). At home I can do a massive export/import of .mme files, but this isn't by design. This is a hack.

I've discussed this HUGE shortcoming with the support staff at Map Pilot. According to them, I'm the only mapper on the planet who deems the ability to export, save and import the Flights.plist files "useful." His defense is that the .mme files can be saved, which is fine for jobs with 5 missions. But a PITA for large jobs with 2, 3 or 4 dozen missions.

At any rate, I think you get the idea of what I'm saying here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. DJI, Apple, Map Pilot and Autopilot will NOT be forthcoming in their release notes. They will remove vital features and functions without so much as a hint to the end user. They will dangle feature carrots in front of the user's face with their right hand while they stick it to you with their left.

To make things worse, your average schlub has no exit strategy. So he/she is STUCK with whatever bugs and/or shortcomings Apple, DJI or Map Pilot force down their throat.

And don't bother asking Map Pilot support for legacy .ipa files. They'll all but deny that they even exist, citing that "Apple doesn't approve..." blah, blah, blah. It's like, get your head out of Apple arse, will ya? Don't get me started.

I have already found bugs in v4.0.5, so I'm going to install v4.0.7 to see if they addressed these bugs. If not, I will use v4.0.X to BUILD missions, but will ultimately FLY them with tried and true v2.9.2. This work flow is untested as of this writing, but will be tested by the end of today.

Anyway, good luck to you! I hope this helps you.

D

Last edited:
Reactions: GFields
Hey MrTVR;

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but I have a lot of experience with iPads, Autopilot, Map Pilot and DJI (Go, Go 4 and GS Pro apps). I use Autopilot for automated video missions for construction clients, and I use Map Pilot for mapping missions, so I feel obligated to give some advice....

D

Wow, that was a thorough reply even if not directly answering the question :)

I’ve also been caught out several times over the years, which is why I always wait a while before applying most updates. For Go4 and Map Pilot, (which I use a lot) any problem resulting from an iOS update would be problematic for a short while but I guess it would get fixed soon enough. My real worry is that something breaks Autopilot, which seem to be unsupported these days.

Lets hope someone is brave enough to try these apps with iPadOS 13 and report back...

Reactions: Donnie Frank
News from Maps Made Easy is that iPadOS 13 had indeed broken Map Pilot for version 4.0.7.

However, version Map Pilot 4.0.8 has been submitted to the app store and should cure the issues... fingers crossed.

We just need to find out if Auto Pilot & Go4 work ok under iPadOS 13?

I've discussed this HUGE shortcoming with the support staff at Map Pilot. According to them, I'm the only mapper on the planet who deems the ability to export, save and import the Flights.plist files "useful."

Ha. I've been all through the same thing with Zane over there. He tells me they have a better idea of how to backup and propagate missions between devices that they will release someday. Along with some way to organize large amounts of missions...someday. Someday never comes. I have no idea why they would abandon such a simple and easy solution and replace it with promises. I think they are knowledgable guys, but they make some simple bone-head missteps some times for some reason.

Ha. I've been all through the same thing with Zane over there. He tells me they have a better idea of how to backup and propagate missions between devices that they will release someday. Along with some way to organize large amounts of missions...someday. Someday never comes. I have no idea why they would abandon such a simple and easy solution and replace it with promises. I think they are knowledgable guys, but they make some simple bone-head missteps some times for some reason.

I might be wrong (i was once, in the 1970s ;-) but I think from V4, missions can now be synchronised via the MME web site ... check it out.

Whilst I don’t use this feature, I can certainly see my missions and each flight under the Map Pilot tab on MME web site.

I might be wrong (i was once, in the 1970s ;-) but I think from V4, missions can now be synchronised via the MME web site ... check it out.

You're almost correct ! :)

If you are on at least v4.x.x and you have flight sync enabled, then when you fly a mission, then the Mission will be able to sync to the MME website. But Mission Plans (what you use to fly a mission) do not sync and are promised to start syncing in v4.1.x

We had a perfectly working way to sync all our mission plans before and they removed it without implementing a replacement and we're still waiting. That's the bone-head move I mentioned.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
By the way, my iPads are still on v 12.3.1
I'm in the camp that doesn't "upgrade" just because it is offered as well. I skipped ios 11 all together because there were initially problems with the flight apps (and other battery issues) with v11 from the beginning.

On the Autopilot drop... I had hoped they'd add M2P /Z before they discontinued support. Just add the Mavic 2.... nope dropped.

Along that channel, anyone play much with Autopilot Developer New product DroneLink, especially since they opened up a free section to experiment or as hobbyist.

The more I play with it, the more it looks to be a new primary toolbox tool.

You're almost correct ! :)

If you are on at least v4.x.x and you have flight sync enabled, then when you fly a mission, then the Mission will be able to sync to the MME website. But Mission Plans (what you use to fly a mission) do not sync and are promised to start syncing in v4.1.x ...

I must admit that whilst I took a look at the new flight sync facility (out of curiosity rather than any need to use it) I hadn’t realised that it still didn’t sync the flight plan ...

I would have expected that to be the first thing to be implemented!

I'd also like to know about the compatibility with the new ipad OS. And what about Litchi?
I flew a few missions this morning.
The iOS 13.1.2 upgrade had no effect on Litchi's multi-POI, 12 waypoint video loop; performed no different than 12x iOS. Actually it seemed like it loaded up Litchi faster and uploaded to the I2 faster... but that's just an opinion.

I tried the MME, I had a standard row pattern and a Grid to perform. It made the first row and the MME app closed. Drone continued to fly the route... I let it fly a bit while I restarted the App... when it rejoined it wasn't showing any photo marks so I cancelled it knowing I hadn't previously engaged the disconnected mode. I landed, chaged variable to continue if disconnected and took off... and again shortly after 1st row, the MME crashed & closed. I let it continue the route... and examined the card on return... it had continued with photos after the app crash. I passed on the larger grid mission, thought I'd wait for a clean app.

On a separate question... I later experimented with Pix4DCapture and DroneHarmony for image collection. I used a M2P for these tests.

Is it a known Pix4D error... I couldn't locate any Google reference. The M2P didn't show any image / camera view during flight. I think I previously heard that was a known issue being addressed.

My 1st time using Pix4D... impressive tool, worked differently but was very smooth to setup and obtain images... On the iPad Pro. On the Android tablet, disappointing. Less features to select and the map was poor in comparison.

DroneHarmony was very impressive, but very different setting up. Applied a different type of criss-crossing 3D grid self adjusting for the taller trees I indicated were in Ft of house , applied several vectors to obtain the images of home.

The MME will be updated in next few days, but it was interesting trying other apps. May use then more often.

I flew a few missions this morning...

I tried the MME, I had a standard row pattern and a Grid to perform. It made the first row and the MME app closed. Drone continued to fly the route... I let it fly a bit while I restarted the App... when it rejoined it wasn't showing any photo marks so I cancelled it knowing I hadn't previously engaged the disconnected mode. I landed, chaged variable to continue if disconnected and took off... and again shortly after 1st row, the MME crashed & closed. I let it continue the route... and examined the card on return... it had continued with photos after the app crash. I passed on the larger grid mission, thought I'd wait for a clean app.

The MME will be updated in next few days, but it was interesting trying other apps. May use then more often.

The MME update has arrived in the app store.

If you get chance to try it, please can you let us know if it now works ok under iPadOS 13?

Has anyone tested the latest Maps Made Easy app under iPasOS 13?

Has anyone tested the latest Maps Made Easy app under iPasOS 13?
We've had frequent rains, 30's temps and 30-35mph winds... so not ideal experimental time.
I did fly a few construction site flights in a row pattern and it performed stable like previous to 13.x iOS. Short 1 city block sites, but enough for me to regain comfort it wasn't going to crash or close app.

Last edited:
We've had frequent rains, 30's temps and 30-35mph winds... so not ideal experimental time.
I did fly a few constriction flights in a row pattern and it performed stable like previous to 13.x iOS. Short 1 city block sites, but enough for me to regain comfort it wasn't going to crash or close app.

Thank you for the update. It sounds promising and I look forward to hearing more when you have completed more extensive missions.

Thank you for the update. It sounds promising and I look forward to hearing more when you have completed more extensive missions.
Reread my post... “autocorrect” created a different story line... that was meant to be construction sites. Both flights were apx 10-12 minutes, and 70-85 pics.

I’ll fly a grid pattern later today... but I’d confidently say it’s preforming stable and no concerns. The app was crashing & closing within the first 2-3 minutes prior to version correction.

Although, now that I’ve tried it... I may continue to use the feature that continues if disconnected option in areas of heavy wireless just as a precaution. That worked nicely. That’s similar to Litchi’s upload.

Reread my post... “autocorrect” created a different story line... that was meant to be construction sites. Both flights were apx 10-12 minutes, and 70-85 pics.

I’ll fly a grid pattern later today... but I’d confidently say it’s preforming stable and no concerns. The app was crashing & closing within the first 2-3 minutes prior to version correction.

Although, now that I’ve tried it... I may continue to use the feature that continues if disconnected option in areas of heavy wireless just as a precaution. That worked nicely. That’s similar to Litchi’s upload.

Thank you for the update.

Regarding the autonomous flight mode, does it allow you to take manual control if necessary?

Thank you for the update.

Regarding the autonomous flight mode, does it allow you to take manual control if necessary?
Yes, you can easily assume control by toggling the RC's Switch from P to S & back. It kills the flight plan kicks it to manual control similar to all autonomous flight apps. Basically the priority is always the RC to Aircraft, regardless of the App or uploaded flight plan. NOTE: That's if your RC still has connection, I believe this unlinked autonomous mode will complete the mission even if RC disconnects, not just the App crash.... then at mission end performs a RTH that you can later override and assume control.

Reactions: MrTVR

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont