Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

It's Crux Time

Reaction score
Website
www.skyvideoct.com
Well, it has finally come to the point of considering the next flying asset to add to my business. In part, this is due to the previous purchase of the Inspire 1 based upon the listed feature set when I placed the order back in February. I based that purchase on a couple of key criteria that would produce marketable results and products for my intended marketplace. These are listed below from my original business plan:

1. Stable flying platform with proven flight control system.

2. Ability to capture video in 4K resolution.

a. Even though the standard output will be in 1080p, the capture of raw footage will have a longer useful life than native 1080p

b. Narrower FOV to eliminate distortion.

c. Modular payload for possible upgrade paths of camera and other sensor types (FLIR, etc.)

3. Sizable company with infrastructure to support the purchase and service of the AV and sytems.

4. Progressive software platform able to adapt to evolving standards and regulatory changes.

5. Adaptable controls for team photography and autonomous flights when required for mapping and/or safety of flight missions.

I chose the Inspire 1 as my first sUAV based on the above. Some were listed, and some were assumed by me in my choice process. Here’s the result of the performance in each list item:

1. The Inspire 1 is a very stable AV and pleasant to pilot. The flight control system has some downside in that is NOT the A2 proven module, but a hybrid that is having growing pains. As I write this, I have logged over 125 flights and >150,000m and >80% over water. When it’s in the air and flying as directed, it’s awesome. I do let a sigh of relief after each landing.

2. The camera is OK, but there is as yet no upgrade or alternate modules available either by DJI or other vendors. This is disappointing

3. As it turns out, the only attribute for #3 is that the company is a sizable failure in support in any way, shape, or manner. They don’t get it.

4. The software platform is lurchy in nature and the long awaited benefits of the SDK release give no fruit as of yet. DJI started as a flight control software company and they don’t listen to their customers of keep them informed as to the direction of the platform or company. I’m planning on a rapid depreciation path for the Inspire 1 as a result.

5. I bought the 2 controller version and am nothing but disappointed. And, finally, no Graound Station cripples me for mapping. This is a hybrid A2 controller not capable of being controlled by the DJI Ground Station. All in all, flunk on #5.

My original business plan AND my section 333 Exemption filing included the Inspire 1 and a S900. I am now at the point that I need to move forward on the purchase of an alternate system for mapping. The Inspire 1 can’t do it due to no Ground Station / autonomous flight. I look at the above lists and realize I would be foolish to consider buying another product from DJI.

So, I don’t know if there are any pilots out there who would like to try and convince me that I should stick with my plan and get the S900 and be patient with DJI in rectifying the long list of issues with the Inspire 1. I’m all ears….

2. The camera is OK, but there is as yet no upgrade or alternate modules available either by DJI or other vendors. This is disappointing….

Sorry but I'd disagree with this statement. I've see comparison and reviews of the Inspire 1's camera and others such as the GH4 and GoPro H4 and most agree though they are on par with each other the Inspire's camera is no disappointment. Looks at some of the posted video done with the Inspire's camera. Also look to why a lot of production companies are dropping or pushing aside there S900/1000 with GH4 gimbals on the to go with the Inspire.

If you still think the Inspire camera is disappointing for commercial use above and beyond the standard commercial use, then you are doing something wrong. Remember it is 20% tools 80% the operator.

Sorry but I'd disagree with this statement. I've see comparison and reviews of the Inspire 1's camera and others such as the GH4 and GoPro H4 and most agree though they are on par with each other the Inspire's camera is no disappointment. Looks at some of the posted video done with the Inspire's camera. Also look to why a lot of production companies are dropping or pushing aside there S900/1000 with GH4 gimbals on the to go with the Inspire.

If you still think the Inspire camera is disappointing for commercial use above and beyond the standard commercial use, then you are doing something wrong. Remember it is 20% tools 80% the operator.
I think you took my comment out of context. Look at video I posted Saturday under the video section "Raw boats....." and you will see that I do use and understand the camera. It's a modular platform/ mounting point that begs for some versatility. I can try and fly a grid pattern without autonomous flight but facing the camera downward and getting a precise overlap is a challenge.

On par with the GH4?!!! Your a moron. Wow, any little boy references to add?

Jay, are you really seeking professional advice from this group. Take a second and read through the content on this forum. This is a group of DJI fanboy power nerds. They fly these things for fun.

Don't_Feed_the_Troll.jpeg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44