Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

It's not just DJI drones that leak data....

Reaction score
Silly little island off west coast of Europe
Slightly off-topic for drones....but at the same time, not...

After all the recent brouhaha regarding Dji and DJI Go's ability to upload and share 'sensitive' flight data to the web, some of you might be interested to read this article that appeared in the Guardian today...

Fitness tracking app gives away location of secret US army bases

... seems even your sweet innocent fitness tracker can potentially give away nationally sensitive information! ;). Presumably now all military personnel will be banned from utilising such apps too ;)

Oh dear, looks like even gchq have managed to let people in with strava stuff on. Hmmm, what about Menwith Hill, Pentagon and a few other such places.... Yup! I think there might be a few people getting kicked and severe earache on Monday morning... o_O:eek::D

Last edited:
Playing devils advocate here... I guess that as Strava is a 'western' (aka US) company, there won't be the same level of hysteria and paranoia that was aimed at DJI :rolleyes:

I also note that Airdata/healthydrones are also providing 'heat maps' for your own data, but (thankfully) aren't yet showing a global heat map for everyone. Maybe they'll think before widening the scope of that display any further :eek:

It all goes to show that small amounts of 'innocent' data can be coalesced into a much bigger, and less innocent, data set. That data set can have unintended outcomes :( We all need to reduce the data we 'leak' (not just DJI or Strava... but ourselves ;) ), or at least become more aware of how it may be used, for or against us!

Last edited:
Reactions: slim.slamma
Slightly off-topic for drones....but at the same time, not...

After all the recent brouhaha regarding Dji and DJI Go's ability to upload and share 'sensitive' flight data to the web, some of you might be interested to read this article that appeared in the Guardian today...

Fitness tracking app gives away location of secret US army bases

... seems even your sweet innocent fitness tracker can potentially give away nationally sensitive information! ;). Presumably now all military personnel will be banned from utilising such apps too ;)

Oh dear, looks like even gchq have managed to let people in with strava stuff on. Hmmm, what about Menwith Hill, Pentagon and a few other such places.... Yup! I think there might be a few people getting kicked and severe earache on Monday morning... o_O:eek::D

giphy (2).gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unitedconveyormktg