Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Landing in high winds - if you have to

if you shut down downwards vision and auto landing gear, will you then still be able to shut down motors by pulling the left stick down for two seconds? Or do you have to kill engines (? two hand job)? I mean, how does it know you're landing with vision switched off?
It knows it has landed as soon as the barometer senses no vertical movement for 2 seconds while having the throttle stick down. So yes, it also works without VPS or auto landing gear. In fact, I don't trust on VPS ever and have it switched off normally (auto gear is always off by default on my birds). I only use VPS for hover stability (max 1.5 meters) while flying indoors.

Having a bigger footprint and being heavier, I've found the I2 far less prone to being tipped over by wind at take off/landing than the Phantom series, even on uneven or sloping ground, as in I've never actually noticed it even begin to happen. From my reactions with it occurring on the P4, my reaction would be to lift up again if it started.

As to more stable with its back towards me? Probably not any more than facing me. I turn it that way as, even with plenty of hours flying, my instinctive reaction is to correct in the orientation of my vision, not the orientation of the aircraft. In gusty wind, if it's turned a different way, my reaction could make things more difficult.

In windy conditions, I do now tend to hand catch my P4, but I've never yet tried it with the I2 and would much rather put that down on the ground!

but I've never yet tried it with the I2 and would much rather put that down on the ground!
Me too, believe me. But it is a procedure I have trained with my observer. He catches the bird for me. In an emergency I am prepared for doing it alone if needed. With the old Phantoms I have it was never a problem to control and catch at the same time.

I'm pretty sure that combination sends a regular CSC signal to the flight controller hence the short burst in RPM just before shutting down. At least that is what the OP was talking about.
Doesn't the I2 shut down just by keeping the throttle stick down? Again, I don't have the I2 but I'm curious.
Emergency stopping possibility is a must for remotely piloted aircraft. It's the very last thing you do but it can save a life.

If you saw the props when it gets the emergency stop signal they don't even complete two rotations of the blades there is no burst of RPM. It can also be done in the air at any height with obvious results but if its going to save a serious accident them i'm happy to know its there.

If you saw the props when it gets the emergency stop signal they don't even complete two rotations of the blades there is no burst of RPM. It can also be done in the air at any height with obvious results but if its going to save a serious accident them i'm happy to know its there.
That's neat, didn't know that they stopped immediately without rev burst. So it is fine to use I guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaHeide