Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lens Recomendation for X5S

Reaction score
I have the standard 16mm lens that came with the Zenmuse X5S. I am considering the Panasonic 14mm-42mm but want to know what everyone else would recommend. I've been asked to show off for a film studio and need something that can show my ability and I figured something with a variable zoom would be perfect for different types of shots without investing in 3 different lenses.

I have the 9-18, 12, 15, 17, 25 45 and 14-42.

The 12 & 25 are used for the vast majority of my filmic work.

The 9-18 is great when I need a wider view and is nearly always set to 9mm.

The 14-42 is great for things like roof inspections where you can shoot wide to establish location & zoom to aid detailed inspection.

However, I have never used the 14-42 for filmic type work as it’s a bit slow & feels soft to me.

Reactions: Phil DeVore
I have the 9-18, 12, 15, 17, 25 45 and 14-42.

The 12 & 25 are used for the vast majority of my filmic work.

The 9-18 is great when I need a wider view and is nearly always set to 9mm.

The 14-42 is great for things like roof inspections where you can shoot wide to establish location & zoom to aid detailed inspection.

However, I have never used the 14-42 for filmic type work as it’s a bit slow & feels soft to me.

Would you call the 14-42 a bad lens for videography or just not as good as the others? What do you mean by feeling slow?

It’s certainly not as good as the Olympus prime lenses but whether you would call it a bad lens is subjective. It depends on your requirements.

From memory the prime lenses are around F1.8 to F2 whilst the 14-42 is only F3.5-5.6. The smaller the minimum F stop the faster the lens. It’s usually better to get more light in to the sensor.

I have the standard 16mm lens that came with the Zenmuse X5S. I am considering the Panasonic 14mm-42mm but want to know what everyone else would recommend. I've been asked to show off for a film studio and need something that can show my ability and I figured something with a variable zoom would be perfect for different types of shots without investing in 3 different lenses.
Quick question: How do you control the zoom of a zoom lens in flight?

I own the Olympus 25 and 45mm lenses along with the Laowa 7.5mm for wide angle shots. These 3 seem to satisfy all my needs at this point. The Olympus 25mm lens is the one that I use most of the time but the 45mm is excellent for close ups.
I’ve heard mixed reviews about the Panasonic and LUMIX 14-42 and haven’t decided if it’s something I would really use right now.
I also kept my x4s camera as a backup just in case I ever need to use it.

I think the Olympus lenses have an awesome picture I never tried the Panasonic lenses I would like to know what anyone thinks what lenses are a better quality.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurskmvah