Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Little testrange (2.6km)..

Reaction score
So did a little rangetest a couple of days ago just to see the limits of my aircraft.

When I got to 2.6km out, i got a message saying i should return to home because of the battery would be low. so thats what I did. When i came back home, i still had around 40% battery left.

The speed out was about 25 m/s and speed back home was around 13 m/s. Flying against the wind isn't fun!

Should get the other battery with higher capacity. The signal was 100%, so happy with that. :)
(had to stop the way out to adjust the max height setting)

Reactions: sirnikolas
that is true. Thats why I didn't wanna push it and returned back home at 70% battery.
Some familiy members wanted to see pictures up on a mountain, so thats why i went out that direction. :)

yes, all stock setup and latest firmware.

Reactions: sirnikolas
You've got one of the good ones. I had to buy fpvlr antennas to get that kind of range. Before I was only getting around 1.5 kms. Last test I did over farmland she reached 2.6 kms with no signal loss and I turned her around before I filled my dacks. I won't be doing that again! I'm content now!

Tony from @FPVLR recommends to avoid removing the antennas. Only remove them when you really have to.
There's also an amplified version which gets you beyond 10km. The basic kit is rated at 7km.

Here's where to buy ~
http://fpvlr.com/store/product/inspire-one-basic-antenna-kit/

Just wondering if this new add-on allows you to quickly add it to the remote at a site location. Or Do you have to add it on at home, and store it this way, already installed. This would change the transportation location in my travel case. MODs are not Travel Case friendly, unless you can break them down and add quickly at a location.

Reactions: Dronehorder
It's not as simple as adding it on. These antennas require installation.
I installed them myself. Or alternatively, you can send your RC to fpvlr and have Tony install them for you.

See attached.

Attachments

• Installation_Guide_for_Inspire One Basic Antenna Kit_20150421.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: Outta Control
what about the blade antennas? are they still avaible??? i am experiencing slace rc loss at low range sometimes... :(

It's not as simple as adding it on. These antennas require installation.
I installed them myself. Or alternatively, you can send your RC to fpvlr and have Tony install them for you.

See attached.

It looks like after initial install, quick finger twist screws added to the base arm base that holds the antenna. And it should be done for a quick on site install... Maybe a shell but over the antenna to protect the elements from moisture.

28191.jpg

Another idea, if the creator is listening, would be the antenna separated from the base to allow the antenna to be placed on a tripod to increase elevation, result in more line of sight = longer range. Or if the antenna could be redesigned for an omni design, verses a point to point design. The extension of the antenna cable could be used with power over Ethernet so you don't get db loss.

Humm Just thinking...

what about the blade antennas? are they still avaible??? i am experiencing slace rc loss at low range sometimes... :(

If an omni antenna is used elevated, this would help. Otherwise... Just keep it simple, Ethernet to a Access point (AP) with an omni antenna. Put this on the top of your car/truck, ethernet from controller to AP...

Whats the frequency of the remote to the RC unit?

Guys it's not as simple and omni antenna would never peform like a circular polarized helix antenna. Plus this is rated at 7+km. CP allows great penetration that a whip antenna cannot do. Also if the antenna is elevated then the handheld operation and portability is compromised. As usual at FPVLR.COM we have done our homework with this. It's a simple install anyone can do, and the base unclips from the metal handle. OF course you don't want to be always removing the unit and screwing /unscrewing those sma connectors.... they can only take so much beating... then the threads start skipping, or sma cases becomes oval shaped or cable twists and cable can short out. That's why I suggest to keep it on. But for long travel it can be undone in 1 minute.
You can also remove some foam and fit into regular stock case.

Attachments

• 20150521_225247.jpg
    20150521_225247.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 11225881_10205595841008142_1301197760_n.jpg
    11225881_10205595841008142_1301197760_n.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 17
Guys it's not as simple and omni antenna would never peform like a circular polarized helix antenna. Plus this is rated at 7+km. CP allows great penetration that a whip antenna cannot do. Also if the antenna is elevated then the handheld operation and portability is compromised. As usual at FPVLR.COM we have done our homework with this. It's a simple install anyone can do, and the base unclips from the metal handle. OF course you don't want to be always removing the unit and screwing /unscrewing those sma connectors.... they can only take so much beating... then the threads start skipping, or sma cases becomes oval shaped or cable twists and cable can short out. That's why I suggest to keep it on. But for long travel it can be undone in 1 minute.

Is the Skylark antenna tracker compatible with your FPV AND LIGHT-BRIDGE?

Really like the antenna tracker concept, but hate to have to carry extra gear afield... Would rather throw this baby on the roof and sit in an air conditioned vehicle while watching from a vehicle.. Yes LOS too..

Last edited:
Reactions: DreamMN
I hate to bash anyone's design. I love MODing don't get me wrong. But when you do things like this, there is always a better way to do things. I like this guys design if you like to keep the the antenna on the remote. But how far do you wanna go risking flight time.

To maximize range it's all about elevation giving 100% line of sight. If your on a hill or 100 ft cliff side you can reach a much further distance with the original design. If you want to maximize distance with 100% of line of sight you have to increase the power to your signal. This can be done with a higher gain antenna dBi antenna. An omni antenna will give you the free dome of 360 deg of flight around your base location. A directional antenna will focus the signal in a 180 to 90 degree area, if your not planning to fly past your home base. BUT, your always limited to the time of flight due to battery.

I found this:
31iScjwFZ6L.jpg

Use that MOD design given by FPVLR.
Add the TEXAS INSTRUMENTS SMA2RJ45EVK/NOPB SMA TO RJ45 CONNECTOR, TI EVALUATION BOARD
$25 at Digi-Key

EnGenius ENH202 High-powered Wireless N 300Mbps Outdoor AP/Bridge/Client
$93 at Amazon

21JUkXRf9qL.jpg

2 - SMA Cables - $10
51lZCFjluKL._SL1100_.jpg

Or similar products, don't use gold, cheap...(oh, keep you sma cable as short as you need them, The longer your cables are the more line loss you will have). This will give MAX range... Over anything. The only thing is maxing the range on Inspire 1 unit. BUT using any more power to increase signal range on the Inspire 1 will suck power from battery further, limiting rang of flight.

So, I guess the only thing I would suggest is the higher the elevation your Home base is, the higher elevation your craft is. If you are in a flat area, increase elevation on your antenna. Is the best you can do....

Food for thought I guess...

Is the Skylark antenna tracker compatible with your FPV AND LIGHT-BRIDGE?

Really like the antenna tracker concept, but hate to have to carry extra gear afield... Would rather throw this baby on the roof and sit in an air conditioned vehicle while watching from a vehicle.. Yes LOS too..

Thats what I'm saying... A telescoping mast on your car/truck/suv, put a directional or omni antenna on it. Either make a bridge connection from remote (so you can walk around) or Ethernet cable to extended antenna...

My first good test in a nice clear area I got 2.4 km on stock antennas. This was my best flight. I more recently purchased the advanced kit from FPVLR and I was able to go 3km before getting the same messages but in an area with some radio noise. I will be trying again at the location of my best range and test them against each other.

As for the battery, when doing these flights you need to rely on the metrics from the inspire but also use your knowledge and intuition. I know I can get a clean 15 minutes with no worries and plenty of time to land, at full throttle. I have gone out 2km and the screen will say come back even though I have only been up for 4 or 5 minutes. This is why it is important to keep an eye on your speed during the entire trip. It helps in keeping track of wind speeds at different points along your flight path too.

That's cool. Again not trying to compromise your idea. I think it's a great idea. I have NOT tested using the helix antenna. Anything with circular polarization is much better when it comes with signal loss. Can you add an Ethernet connector or use a bridge to go from:

Remote wireless to bridge ---> Bridge to Ethernet ---> Ethernet to your helix antenna? This way you can put the antenna on a pole mount on your car and still be free to walk around. This would be a good idea for base stations coming out.

Please note, I've been dealing with wireless for 20 years, everything from satellite communications, wireless point to point, and an Amateur Radio operator. BUT, I'm novice at RC. Still learning...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters