Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Looks like FAA is going to be more reasonable than initially thought.

Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregory...-all-9-insights-into-forthcoming-regulations/

I'd recommend reading it, but for the TL;DR crowd, some highlights:
  • No pilot cert required, likely just a written exam that should cost less than $300
  • Registration for a "tail number" or "November number" will be required ($5)
  • All craft under 55 lbs will likely have the same rules to keep it simple
  • No inspection, maintenance or permit for the craft itself (beyond registration)
  • Line of sight only until technology gets better
  • Sunrise to sunset only
It all seems pretty reasonable to me, but I think relaxing the light requirement to make it dawn-dusk instead of sunrise to sunset would be much better for photographers aesthetically without compromising safety (you can still see a copter and obstacles for quite a while after sunset), so hopefully we can flood them with comments and get that fixed before it goes final.

I'm just glad I probably won't have to save up $10k for pilot training when I'm nowhere near being able to afford a plane to fully use that sort of training.

The $300 exam was expected because this is govt. after all and nothing comes for free!

Not sure I like the idea of a tail number. This is purely so law enforcement can track down any suspicious drone activity instead of being forced to located the operator on the ground like they are now. Given the right amps and booster antennas, it's virtually impossible for a cop to chase a Phantom back to it's operator if he/she is 2 miles away.

More Big Brother stuff we need to "tolerate" with this hobby.

$300 exam? LOL

Just an excuse to charge $300 to thousands of drone owners.

Prolly really difficult questions like --- "What is the current AGL limit for model aircraft?" and "How do you define LOS?"

I'm already ordering my study book on Amazon cuz I wanna ace it! :p

It said under $300 (so probably 299 LOL). Hopefully they leave the hobbyists out of it so it only affects somebody who can make the money back.

Think yourself lucky! Over here in the UK, CAA approval for aerial work costs circa $1,800 plus another $1,000 for mandatory insurance.
Of corse, hobby flying is completely free with no certification needed :D

This strictly applies to commercial use, correct? For example, I won't need a tail number just to fly my drone for personal reasons, right?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregory...-all-9-insights-into-forthcoming-regulations/

• No pilot cert required, likely just a written exam that should cost less than $300
  • No inspection, maintenance or permit for the craft itself (beyond registration)
  • Sunrise to sunset only
It all seems pretty reasonable to me, but I think relaxing the light requirement to make it dawn-dusk instead of sunrise to sunset would be much better for photographers aesthetically without compromising safety (you can still see a copter and obstacles for quite a while after sunset), so hopefully we can flood them with comments and get that fixed before it goes final.

I'm just glad I probably won't have to save up $10k for pilot training when I'm nowhere near being able to afford a plane to fully use that sort of training.

+ liability insurance on the top prox. $ 900_1200

• Sunrise to sunset only

And it looks like the height limit is 500 feet as opposed to 400 feet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry