Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Lost flight data

Reaction score
I have been flying DJI products for two years now and I am lucky to say this is the first problem I have ever had with either my Phantom II or my Inspire. When I went out to the flying field today I did my preflight, made sure everything was rock steady then flew three batteries. One on a TB47 and two on TB48. The transmitter gave me a warning on the first flight that I was in ATTI mode even though I wasn't. No biggie to me it flew like a champ. On my third and last flight I went to take off and it said I had a SD card error. I aborted takeoff, re-booted everything, no warning, went through my pre-flight, then flew for about 16 minutes, took around 10 pictures and 8 minutes of video. When I got my low battery warning and landed I saw a new warning pop up that said something like data loss warning. When I went to the flight record there was no data. Nothing. It was like the flight never happened. When I got home I took the SD card and put it in the computer and all my photo's and video are there, but the User Center still says no flight occurred. I have a Lexar 600 32 GB card that I have been flying with for about two weeks without problems. Where can I find my lost flight? It is kinda a big deal because I have to fill out a flight log on Zululog for each flight and I don't want the two logs to be different. Any help would be appreciated.

N557RS Inspire 1

Last edited:
I have been flying DJI products for two years now and I am lucky to say this is the first problem I have ever had with either my Phantom II or my Inspire. When I went out to the flying field today I did my preflight, made sure everything was rock steady then flew three batteries. One on a TB47 and two on TB48. The transmitter gave me a warning on the first flight that I was in ATTI mode even though I wasn't. No biggie to me it flew like a champ. On my third and last flight I went to take off and it said I had a SD card error. I aborted takeoff, re-booted everything, no warning, went through my pre-flight, then flew for about 16 minutes, took around 10 pictures and 8 minutes of video. When I got my low battery warning and landed I saw a new warning pop up that said something like data loss warning. When I went to the flight record there was no data. Nothing. It was like the flight never happened. When I got home I took the SD card and put it in the computer and all my photo's and video are there, but the User Center still says no flight occurred. I have a Lexar 600 32 GB card that I have been flying with for about two weeks without problems. Where can I find my lost flight? It is kinda a big deal because I have to fill out a flight log on Zululog for each flight and I don't want the two logs to be different. Any help would be appreciated.

N557RS Inspire 1
More than likely you saw an MC data error come up on your screen which just means the flight log recording cache is full and cannot accept any more data. This is a quirk of the system and DJI for some reason have decided not to have the system overwrite older logs but just stop dead when the log becomes full.
As you have discovered, your next start up/reboot of the Inspire flushes the log and starts again until it is full next time.
I'm afraid your log for that flight is lost forever as it was never or only partially recorded.
There have been a few complaints regarding this since should you be unlucky enough to suffer a failure or crash during the flight where your log gets full then their will be no data for DJI to work on to determine the reason for the crash.
In answer to your next question......no, there is no way to empty the log before you fly so you take off with an empty log file.

More than likely you saw an MC data error come up on your screen which just means the flight log recording cache is full and cannot accept any more data. This is a quirk of the system and DJI for some reason have decided not to have the system overwrite older logs but just stop dead when the log becomes full.
As you have discovered, your next start up/reboot of the Inspire flushes the log and starts again until it is full next time.
I'm afraid your log for that flight is lost forever as it was never or only partially recorded.
There have been a few complaints regarding this since should you be unlucky enough to suffer a failure or crash during the flight where your log gets full then their will be no data for DJI to work on to determine the reason for the crash.
In answer to your next question......no, there is no way to empty the log before you fly so you take off with an empty log file.
Mate, if you ever write a book about "Everything You Need To Know About The Dji Inspire 1" I'll gladly be your first customer!
I've learned so much from you and have passed your knowledge on to so many.
Thank you mate!

P.S. Sorry to go off topic :p

Reactions: The Editor
Mate, if you ever write a book about "Everything You Need To Know About The Dji Inspire 1" I'll gladly be your first customer!
I've learned so much from you and have passed your knowledge on to so many.
Thank you mate!

P.S. Sorry to go off topic :p

Haha....thanks I might have to add 'Write a book' to my list of 'To-do's'!
Just happy I can help people out who might get stuck or have a problem with their Inspire/multirotor. :)

Reactions: sirnikolas

Thank you for your help with this matter and all you do on the site for others. It is appreciated!

Reactions: The Editor
I entered the flight data mode, downloaded 37 files and then tried to see what they contained. The recommended method to open the files was with VLC. I tried but nothing opens. The files are numbered FLY00X.DAT
Can anyone tell me how to read the files and what data is on them?

I entered the flight data mode, downloaded 37 files and then tried to see what they contained. The recommended method to open the files was with VLC. I tried but nothing opens. The files are numbered FLY00X.DAT
Can anyone tell me how to read the files and what data is on them?
There is no public means of viewing the .DAT file. There is a webware utility written by TheCutter (search these forums) which gives you access to the flight data stored in the Cloud either in a spreadsheet or visually in Google Earth.

There is no public means of viewing the .DAT file. There is a webware utility written by TheCutter (search these forums) which gives you access to the flight data stored in the Cloud either in a spreadsheet or visually in Google Earth.
Thank you - I will look and see what transpires.

N557RS Inspire 1
Didn't get a data error...but, recently purchased the phantom 3 and noticed there are missing flight log files as well..

I've got a persistent MC DATA ERROR.
Won't go away but the inspire flies and the camera functions fine.
Is it safe to fly with this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa