Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Manchester Air Traffic Control

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a contact number for Manchester ATC? I have a job in Stockport that I need advice on.

kind regards,
Dave

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have a contact number for Manchester ATC? I have a job in Stockport that I need advice on.

kind regards,
Dave
Do you have PFAW?
ATC will not give 'advice' they will only give permission (or not).
Although they work under an ethos of equivalence they probably will not allow non CAA certified RPA uses in ATZ and most of if not all of Stockport is class D airspace.
I am not sure whether you are CAA certified though.
Do you have a long and lat for your anticipated area of operation which you would have to give to ATC in any case as they will not entertain addresses or postcodes etc.

Hi and thanks for the reply,

Yes I do have PFAW but it's a funny one this, I will be working in a park, loads of space and I also have permission to fly over the property that is to be developed. The work is for a digital imaging company that puts renders of completed buildings over the aerial image.

Although I have the space required, the permissions in place I am not happy with the location to Manchester approach, I would rather turn work away than carry out a job I am not happy with.

54° 24` 22 . 7n
2° 10 '12 . 2w

Hi and thanks for the reply,

Yes I do have PFAW but it's a funny one this, I will be working in a park, loads of space and I also have permission to fly over the property that is to be developed. The work is for a digital imaging company that puts renders of completed buildings over the aerial image.

Although I have the space required, the permissions in place I am not happy with the location to Manchester approach, I would rather turn work away than carry out a job I am not happy with.

54° 24` 22 . 7n
2° 10 '12 . 2w

Are you sure those coordinates are right? That puts me just west of 'Rukins campsite' south of the A66 toward the Lake District?

Here -> https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...42,298m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0?hl=en

BTW - I have PM'd you Manchester's (EGCC) ATC telephone number as I do not want to put it out on open forum

Cheers

Reactions: Scotflieger
I am not happy with the location to Manchester approach, I would rather turn work away than carry out a job I am not happy with.
I can understand your concern. The closest point of Stockport to the Airport is about 3NM which means aircraft on the 3 deg glideslope will be about 1000ft AGL. You could mitigate the risk by reducing your max working altitude to say 60m (200ft) or arrange the work for when the wind in the NE and they are operating on 23L/R. Manchester would probably require a NOTAM to be issued.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Editor
Sorry Google spat those coordinates out to me as I'm not in the office near my maps.

just used Google again to come up with the following

Latitude/Longitude: 53.4075, -2.1687

I am a firm be liver in doing things right hence my concerns and the customer has stated in the brief that the image is to be taken between 15.00 and 16.00 to capture the sun light and the camera height is at 390ft.

I think waiting for the wind direction is a must to be honest. I can see from my home that they are landing from Stockport today, I will contact ATC and see what they say.

Dave

Sorry Google spat those coordinates out to me as I'm not in the office near my maps.

just used Google again to come up with the following

Latitude/Longitude: 53.4075, -2.1687

I am a firm be liver in doing things right hence my concerns and the customer has stated in the brief that the image is to be taken between 15.00 and 16.00 to capture the sun light and the camera height is at 390ft.

Wow! - That is tight....... I'm not sure I would want to take that one even without the ATC issues :p

I guess you could set up a cordon and shoot from Hollywood Park and stay back the required distance from Hardman and Wood Street. Would be very restrictive though. If they want you to fly over the prop it will be extremely difficult with standard permissions.

Rather you than me :confused:

Let us know how you get on.

I think I agree with Editor. The site is 7.6km from the 05R threshold which would place approaching aircraft at 1000m AGL (3000ft) and where they would be commencing descent. Possible mitigation is that the wind for that runway would send any flyaway RPA in the opposite direction. Also with the congested area you would need to operate at the weekend when arrivals would be lighter. It is feasible with ATC clearance but...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207