Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

mapping with the zenmuse x5s

Reaction score
hi I'm new to the inspire2 , I fly the phantom 4 pro great results. I purchased the inspire 2 for real estate mostly, I fly thru the winter here in New Jersey and liked the idea of having heated batteries especially when flying over the ocean or bay. my question is about mapping and 3D modeling, I read that because of the shutter in the x5s when trying to shoot pictures for a 3D model that there was a rolling shutter effect, has anyone experienced this and is there any advise on properly setting up the x5s to shoot orthomossaic maps or 3D models. thanks mike

hi I'm new to the inspire2 , I fly the phantom 4 pro great results. I purchased the inspire 2 for real estate mostly, I fly thru the winter here in New Jersey and liked the idea of having heated batteries especially when flying over the ocean or bay. my question is about mapping and 3D modeling, I read that because of the shutter in the x5s when trying to shoot pictures for a 3D model that there was a rolling shutter effect, has anyone experienced this and is there any advise on properly setting up the x5s to shoot orthomossaic maps or 3D models. thanks mike
Questions like this have cropped up (and been answered many times previously).

Try using the search feature on the forum such as.....

Or.....

If you still can’t find the answer to what you’re asking come back and I’m sure people will help.

If you like the results of your Phantom4Pro... add a X4S to the Inspire2. The X4S is the exact same camera as P4P camera, just in a I2 \ M210 gimbal.

The X4S and X7 with their mechanical shutter will provide better results than the X5S for mapping. I use the X4S for survey / construction images, then swap a X5S with 12mm or 7.5mm for a nice video loop of site. Still experimenting with the X7.

All mechanical shutters listed above are mechanical up to 1/2000... then change. None are mechanical all through their full shutter speed range. ** Edit ** The X7 is mechanical up to 1/1000.

Welcome to the Inspire 2, it’ll be a little different flying and the dual heated batteries are a nice addition.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gr8Basin
thanks for the advise, I'll have to stick with the p4p for mapping till I can get the x4s for the inspire. what settings are you using on the x5s, I have been shooting 2.7k @ 29.999 fps and 1/400 shutter and I'm getting some blur in the video clips.

thanks for the advise, I'll have to stick with the p4p for mapping till I can get the x4s for the inspire. what settings are you using on the x5s, I have been shooting 2.7k @ 29.999 fps and 1/400 shutter and I'm getting some blur in the video clips.
Basic rules for shooting a video with Inspire 2 and X5S camera are the same as for every digital camera: shutter speed double the fps. So, for 30 fps video 1/60 sec shutter will provide visually appealing motion blur, mimicking film effect. That is more apparent at low attitude flights with bottom part of the frame passing by quickly. In average sunny day you'll most likely need to employ ND filter to maintain this shutter speed with 5.6-8 aperture at 100 ISO ...

The mapping course im taking state p4 best drone for mapping. Cant you adjyst shutter speed. Just asking i know in drone deploy app you can adjust shots per how many seconds

The mapping course im taking state p4 best drone for mapping. Cant you adjyst shutter speed. Just asking i know in drone deploy app you can adjust shots per how many seconds
Correct, DJI Phantom 4 Pro is perfect for mapping due to it's camera mechanical shutter. Shutter speed and aperture is adjustable to set the best possible parameters for this kind of photography, usually automatically made by any decent mapping software.

Phantom4Pv2 is best per the mech shutter and overall cost of platform. Craft, batteries, props, etc. An Inprire 2 with X4S would provide same camera, redundant batteries, and heated batteries for cold missions. But that comes with a pricey cost. The cost of 4 TB50 batteries could purchase a whole P4Pv2 kit.

Personally, I like flying the I2 X4S and ability to change camera or lenses. On construction sites within a City, I find comfort with the I2 fail safe electronics and paired batteries. Too many stories where a Phantom miss behaves... granted any sUAV can experience problems, but the dual batteries to me is a plus.

The nice thing about the X5S is that several of the DJI/OLY/PAN M4/3 lenses can be used interchangeably on a nice range of M4/3 cameras to provide some wonderful continuity for your combined aerial and ground shots. And the nice thing about shooting in 5K is that you have a little room to trim down to 4k in post. But shooting all in 4k works fine, too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool