Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Maps caching, again ...

Reaction score
After long Canadian winter hibernation I did a few muscle stretching practices with my birds tonight. Of course follow meticulous pre-flight preparations on all humanly possible levels. Meantime a lot of things happen: 2 or three FW and app upgrades, new tablet purchased (iPad Air 2) etc. Practicing went without a hiccup, at slow pace to avoid shocking adrenaline flow, but smoothly.

Anyway, I forgot to cache the map of nearby municipal park, therefore no satellite view was available. All nearly detected WiFi services - probably stray ones from residences around - required passwords. Home point was recorded as usual, and maps popped up immediately after return to my house WiFi service. No issue here.

What makes me worry is the fact that DJI Go app doesn't allow to use other map providers. I've found Google satellite images superior in many places. Usually no problem when piloting in well scanned and populated areas, but in more exotic or remote places Go app maps doesn't deliver enough detail. This summer I plan to go specific place and, with my usual bad luck, zoomed image looks like a green/blue/yellow mess with square mile pixels.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Hi @Dobmatt, welcome back to the fold. DJI use the default iOS mapping service (ie. Apple Maps) and there is no way for the user to change it. You could try lobbying DJI to change this but I would not hold your breath. Alternatively get on to Apple to improve their imagery for your area.

Hi @Dobmatt, welcome back to the fold. DJI use the default iOS mapping service (ie. Apple Maps) and there is no way for the user to change it. You could try lobbying DJI to change this but I would not hold your breath. Alternatively get on to Apple to improve their imagery for your area.
Thank you, Brother Scotflieger ... Well, seems like I'll have to fly without a map there. Luckily I know the surroundings very good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gonengo Brian