Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Mounting a iPhone 6 Plus and a Flysight Black Pearl on a Inspire

I think marking all the functions on the controller makes a lot of sense and is a requirement for RPAS I thought.
I like your idea. Super! Going to fit that diversity screen of mine and Samsung Galaxy as well. And give the iPad to the cameraman.

I think marking the stick functions is hardly a RPAS requirement. If you can't fly without having to be reminded what the stick functions are you should not be flying, it should be second nature. As for putting them on there so you can hand it over to anyone else who does not have the most basic model flying skills is irresponsible. It really is not a 'TOY'!

I think marking the stick functions is hardly a RPAS requirement. If you can't fly without having to be reminded what the stick functions are you should not be flying, it should be second nature. As for putting them on there so you can hand it over to anyone else who does not have the most basic model flying skills is irresponsible. It really is not a 'TOY'!

Your first post here......welcome?
Very first appearance on a forum like this, only to jump in and say that you don't agree with something?

Who cares?

But anyhow, I wouldn't say marking the STICK functions are a requirement, and I would never mark them, nobody gets my remote. However, the for the other knobs, buttons , switches, it doesn't harm to do it. And yes, many PRO pilots have labeled the switches. Besides, maybe the OP would fly other craft in a different stick mode, you know, there are more than just one, it could help as a reminder.
I always flew with stick mode 1 (30+ years) until I got my first quad from DJI.
My Kyosho CP Heli is still mode1.

Flying with 2 controllers, it is quite handy to mark the different functions on the controllers because they are programmed totally different.

Last edited:
Your first post here......welcome?
Very first appearance on a forum like this, only to jump in and say that you don't agree with something?

Who cares?

But anyhow, I wouldn't say marking the STICK functions are a requirement, and I would never mark them, nobody gets my remote. However, the for the other knobs, buttons , switches, it doesn't harm to do it. And yes, many PRO pilots have labeled the switches. Besides, maybe the OP would fly other craft in a different stick mode, you know, there are more than just one, it could help as a reminder.
I always flew with stick mode 1 (30+ years) until I got my first quad from DJI.
My Kyosho CP Heli is still mode1.

Flying with 2 controllers, it is quite handy to mark the different functions on the controllers because they are programmed totally different.

I did not realise you could not convey your thoughts (so long as they are not racist or offensive) on this forum until you were a seasoned user. My thoughts will not change with time!

Is saying that I don’t agree with something really that bad? If someone is doing something that you don’t agree with particularly if it could be a safety issue would you say nothing? I would consider that worse than saying something. You should care!!

You did say you thought marking all the functions was a RPAS requirement, now you say not. Also I did only refer to the sticks not the other controls, I mark those because on my tx’s as I have four or five different radios which have different switches and dials in different places but the sticks and there functions are always the same expect for the odd person like yourself that changes mode but that is not usual and the only reason you could do it after so many years is because multi rotors are fully stabilized, you are not really flying them like an unstabilsed model you just steer them, you can let go, compose yourself and carry on. You may never have been able to make the mode change had you tried to change to a conventional (particularly a helicopter) unstabilised model.

Perhaps reading someone’s post a little more carefully in future would be beneficial to everyone and the forum.

Well, after flying everything with wings and rotors since my 12th, that must be (a lot) more than 40 years, I've flown several stick modes. And I still can easily switch between mode 1 and mode 2. I decided to keep my older stuff in the mode it is in. If you have a problem with that, again, who cares?

The other thing is, I said I THOUGHT. I never said that IT IS. If I would know for sure I would say IT IS.

I just read in the PRE course material from my RPAS certification program, that all the functions of the PS, as described in the Aircraft Operational Manual, are supposed to be clearly marked on the PS, and all the markings should be explained in the manual as well.
Ever been in the cockpit of an airplane? Is there anything there that isn't marked, clearly?

But after I have my RPAS certificate next week I'll be ready to answer you. It might be different in my country though.

But keep on with the attitude dude.....You will be fine here. You will have a ball discussing others peoples posts here, because there are a lot of opinions.

Welcome.

Jan

[QUOTE="Perhaps reading someone’s post a little more carefully in future would be beneficial to everyone and the forum.[/QUOTE]

What I said: I think marking all the functions on the controller makes a lot of sense and is a requirement for RPAS I thought.

was I talking about the stick functions specifically at all?

Last edited:
But back to the topic.

Thanks for the idea. My cheap fast solution, entirely based on your tip here, works quite well.
At every glance at the FPV screen you instantly have a nose reference, no matter where the camera is pointed. Multirotor flying is all about orientation and this helps a lot.

Well, after flying everything with wings and rotors since my 12th, that must be (a lot) more than 40 years, I've flown several stick modes. And I still can easily switch between mode 1 and mode 2. I decided to keep my older stuff in the mode it is in. If you have a problem with that, again, who cares?

The other thing is, I said I THOUGHT. I never said that IT IS. If I would know for sure I would say IT IS.

I just read in the PRE course material from my RPAS certification program, that all the functions of the PS, as described in the Aircraft Operational Manual, are supposed to be clearly marked on the PS, and all the markings should be explained in the manual as well.
Ever been in the cockpit of an airplane? Is there anything there that isn't marked, clearly?

But after I have my RPAS certificate next week I'll be ready to answer you. It might be different in my country though.

But keep on with the attitude dude.....You will be fine here. You will have a ball discussing others peoples posts here, because there are a lot of opinions.

Welcome.

Jan

All I said was “you said you thought” then you said maybe it is not a requirement, is that not a contradiction?

I fly fullsize rotary and fixed wing aircraft and I have never seen placards on the control yoke/stick that tell you which way is up or down and left and right. You would not be fit to fly if you did not know instinctively what way to push/pull your primary flight controls plus you would be dead very quickly. Lots (not everything) of other switches are placarded but then if you had read what I said you would know I was only referring to the control sticks.

I have operated UAVs commercially ( and legally) in the UK for over 9 years, there is no regulation here that says you MUST placard your transmitter switches and certainly not your primary flight controls. As it is only just becoming legal to fly UAVs commercially in the USA (I assume this is where you are) I am not fully aware of what the legislation will be but I would be very surprised if the primary control sticks had to be placarded.

Surely you’ll be having the ball because you were the one who was not happy with my opinion. And stop saying welcome, because you know you don’t mean it. I’d prefer if you did not respond to this message because it’s all a bit tiring having to repeat myself and I certainly do not have to justify what I say. You didn’t like what I said so let’s leave it at that and let the thread progress in a way that might enlighten people instead of depress them.

All I said was “you said you thought” then you said maybe it is not a requirement, is that not a contradiction?

I fly fullsize rotary and fixed wing aircraft and I have never seen placards on the control yoke/stick that tell you which way is up or down and left and right. You would not be fit to fly if you did not know instinctively what way to push/pull your primary flight controls plus you would be dead very quickly. Lots (not everything) of other switches are placarded but then if you had read what I said you would know I was only referring to the control sticks.

I have operated UAVs commercially ( and legally) in the UK for over 9 years, there is no regulation here that says you MUST placard your transmitter switches and certainly not your primary flight controls. As it is only just becoming legal to fly UAVs commercially in the USA (I assume this is where you are) I am not fully aware of what the legislation will be but I would be very surprised if the primary control sticks had to be placarded.

Surely you’ll be having the ball because you were the one who was not happy with my opinion. And stop saying welcome, because you know you don’t mean it. I’d prefer if you did not respond to this message because it’s all a bit tiring having to repeat myself and I certainly do not have to justify what I say. You didn’t like what I said so let’s leave it at that and let the thread progress in a way that might enlighten people instead of depress them.

I'm not even reading this.....

relax man

Indeed, ideally you should exactly know how to control the bird in all situations and read all LED/Sound/APP signals that the bird can issue. However, learning how to use/read an Inspire-1 can take a while, especially in situations that do not occur regularly and/or if you do not fly the bird daily. There is no way how to train extraordinary situations in the build-in Simulator. Training with a nano-copter does not help here as well.

Could we conclude that some people appreciate the stickers (for their own personal reasons) and others don't like to put the stickers on their bird because they know everything already by head?

Other thing: Yesterday I have bought an iPad Air-2 with anti-reflecting screen. I will use the iPad Air-2 on the pilot controller and place the Iphone6 plus the Black Pearl Monitor on the Camera Controller. I have found a way how to mount the Camera Controller incl. monitor/iphone6 on a tripod, which i will place next to me when i'm flying. If the bird hangs stationary in the air, i can use the camera controller to make smooth 360 degree pano's. When the sun reduces the visibility on the iPad (without sunshade, this is not unlikely), i have Plan-B on a tripod.

I have read a report on http://www.displaymate.com/iPad6_ShootOut.htm : "The anti-reflection on the iPad AIr-2 reduces ambient light reflections by about 3:1 over most other Tablets and Smartphones (including the previous iPads), and about 2:1 over all of the very best competing Tablets and Smartphones (including the new iPhone 6). In its tests it found the iPad Air 2 display to have 8% lower Brightness and 16% lower display Power Efficiency compared to the original iPad Air. The report speculates it’s likely a result of comprises with the backlight in order to produce a thinner device." This may explain why the Black Pearl is more bright than the iPad Air 2.

Reactions: lake_flyer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phuketdivecenter