Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Mounting external antennas on standard I2 transmitter?

Reaction score
Hello!
I have modified my P4P and I1 transmitters with the long range kit consisting of external antennas and signal boosters. (Bought from FPVLR.com)
Is it possible to do the same with the I2?
I can´t find any kits for sale which makes me wonder whether it is possible at all?
Anybody who has any experience with this?
(I need to do this since I would like to operate the drone from inside a concrete building.)
Best Regards!

Reactions: nandoarr
Hello!
I have modified my P4P and I1 transmitters with the long range kit consisting of external antennas and signal boosters. (Bought from FPVLR.com)
I can´t find any kits for sale which makes me wonder whether it is possible at all?
(I need to do this since I would like to operate the drone from inside a concrete building.)
Best Regards!

Hi there! I think it might work, but you gonna do a BVLOS flight?

Hello!
Best Regards!
Without even knowing what exactly are you trying to achieve, it's always bad idea and all molecules in my brain screams NO. Are you hoping to penetrate steel reinforced concrete walls with radio transmission? Well, the world belongs to the brave ones, but make sure to purchase good insurance for your Inspire first. BTW, never heard of any Inspire 2 RC mods of this nature ...

Hi there!
I sometimes need to operate my drones from within a protected bunker. (I am doing this for a living and my customers are government contracted companies.) The idea is still to fly within line of sight BUT since I´m indoors and my drone is outside I need to route the radio signal to external antennas mounted outside. I guess I´ll have to open up the transmitter to see if looks the same as the Phantom 3/4 and Inspire 1 transmitters. If so, I know what do do. I was just curious to know if someone already have made this mod?

Hi there!
I sometimes need to operate my drones from within a protected bunker. (I am doing this for a living and my customers are government contracted companies.) The idea is still to fly within line of sight BUT since I´m indoors and my drone is outside I need to route the radio signal to external antennas mounted outside. I guess I´ll have to open up the transmitter to see if looks the same as the Phantom 3/4 and Inspire 1 transmitters. If so, I know what do do. I was just curious to know if someone already have made this mod?
Oh, I see. Interesting challenge, I must admit ...

Hello!

I got mine from MAXXUAV. Maxx UAV - UAV Long Range Solutions
Follow product menu to DJI and then select Inspire 2.

Inspire2 is special because it needs both 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz. He has them as well as amplifiers. I have had them for years now on my I1, Phantoms, and now I2.
Jim

I have modified two RC for two Inspire 2, using QMA quick connectors.
The modification require more time and work than those for Phantom 3 and 4, but nothing particularly challenging, need just a little patience and manual skill.
I only use the polarized antennas you see in the pictures, made by Cool Making, a sort of Chinese clone of the ones made by FPVLR (that I also have, but installed on Phantom 4 series RC), both very good, tested for at least 2 years.
Do not believe those who say these Cool Making antennas are Chinese garbage, or that they are not done well, or that they have the wrong ohmic impedance, are lies, affirmed out of ignorance or in bad faith, for personal interest to denigrate this Chinese who ruined the games with its lowest prices.

Always without amplifiers, for my usual mountain locations they are more than enough, unbelievable light and efficients.
I prefer these antennas to all the other flat panels I have of various dimensions and brands, as those on Maxx UAV store and the Titan Conquer (now discontinued) on the Commandcase site, also known as Titan Drones.
Someone with strong environmental radio noise could have the necessity to add two boosters, not me.

Sometimes I put these antennas on a suction cup holder (purchased in Titan Drones store) applied on the car roof, so with 2 cables, 2 or 3 meter long, piloting the Inspire 2 while I'm comfortably seated in the car, especially in winter with very low temperatures.

Here down just some links to explore and where to purchase the necessary hardware...

Inspire 2 RC Mod tutorial

Titan Drones range extenders and ground stations

Products [ALIENTECH]

€ 44,07 11%OFF | STARTRC For Mavic pro spark Antenna WiFi Signal Range Booster Extender 16DBI 2.4/5.8GHz Circular Polarized for drone accessories [Cool Making]

20190901_014705.jpg20190901_014926.jpg

Last edited:
I have modified two RC for two Inspire 2, using QMA quick connectors.
The modification require more time and work than those for Phantom 3 and 4, but nothing particularly challenging, need just a little patience and manual skill.
I only use the polarized antennas you see in the pictures, made by Cool Making, a sort of Chinese clone of the ones made by FPVLR (that I also have, but installed on Phantom 4 series RC), both very good, tested for at least 2 years.
Do not believe those who say these Cool Making antennas are Chinese garbage, or that they are not done well, or that they have the wrong ohmic impedance, are lies, affirmed out of ignorance or in bad faith, for personal interest to denigrate this Chinese who ruined the games with its lowest prices.

Always without amplifiers, for my usual mountain locations they are more than enough, unbelievable light and efficients.
I prefer these antennas to all the other flat panels I have of various dimensions and brands, as those on Maxx UAV store and the Titan Conquer (now discontinued) on the Commandcase site, also known as Titan Drones.
Someone with strong environmental radio noise could have the necessity to add two boosters, not me.

Sometimes I put these antennas on a suction cup holder (purchased in Titan Drones store) applied on the car roof, so with 2 cables, 2 or 3 meter long, piloting the Inspire 2 while I'm comfortably seated in the car, especially in winter with very low temperatures.

Here down just some links to explore and where to purchase the necessary hardware...

Inspire 2 RC Mod tutorial

Titan Drones range extenders and ground stations

Products [ALIENTECH]

€ 44,07 11%OFF | STARTRC For Mavic pro spark Antenna WiFi Signal Range Booster Extender 16DBI 2.4/5.8GHz Circular Polarized for drone accessories [Cool Making]

View attachment 26506View attachment 26507
Thanks for all this!
The guy at Covert Drones was telling me that these Helical Antennas are no good. Do you have good results with them?
He recommends this Alientech 5.8ghz Amplified Antenna or the command case mini. I'd love to be able to run with a command case, but it couldn't be my main thing because there are too many times we have to jump out, rip it out of the case and be in the air in 30 seconds. Other times, we have hours of sitting around and the case would be awesome.
Mainly I'm looking to have some options. I am shooting for Top Gear America on Inspire 2's and sometimes, particularly if there are trees, I have very short range.
Also, I noticed the other day that when I removed my Crystal Sky from the controller and flew without it (looking at the display laying nearby) my range was a lot better.
So this got me thinking that I might even have much better results with whip antennas if they were, say, up on top of my head on a helmet or hat, or mounted on a stand... somewhere away from the Crystal Sky.
I'd love to hear your thoughts
Thanks!
Russell

Reactions: Killboydotcom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop